4th March 1913
Reference Numbert19130304-65
VerdictsGuilty > pleaded part guilty; Guilty > pleaded guilty; Guilty > unknown; Not Guilty > unknown
SentencesImprisonment > hard labour; Imprisonment > hard labour; Imprisonment > hard labour; Imprisonment > hard labour

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

WILSON, William (59, coal merchant), KENSETT, John Edward (40, traveller), GODDARD, Albert William (39, carman), NICHOLLS, Charles (30, greengrocer), HARRIS (27, fishmonger), and KNAPP, John (39, bricklayer), all breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Amy Davis and stealing therein two bicycles, one tea service, and other articles, her goods, and feloniously receiving the same; Kensett, Goddard, Harris, and Wilson stealing eight cricket balls, 10 tennis rackets, and other articles, the goods of David Howell, and feloniously receiving the same; Kensett, Goddard, Harris, and Wilson stealing nine cricket bats and other articles, the goods of Mann, Crossman, and Paulin, Limited, and feloniously receiving the same; Kensett, Goddard, Harris, Nicholls, and Wilson breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Albert Edwin Darlison, and stealing therein a roll of cloth and other articles, his goods, and feloniously receiving the same; Kensett, Goddard, Harris, Nicholls, and Wilson breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Amy Davis and stealing therein a quantity of clothing and other articles, her goods, and feloniously receiving the same.

Kensett and Harris pleaded guilty of all offences except that of breaking and entering the house of Darlison; they pleaded guilty of larceny only of goods of Darlison. Goddard pleaded guilty of all offences; Nicholls pleaded guilty of larceny, goods of Darlison; not guilty of housebreaking (Davis's case).

Wilson, Nicholls, and Knapp were tried upon the indictment for housebreaking (Davis's case).

Mr. Purcell prosecuted; Mr. Roome defended Wilson.

AMY DAVIS , 10, The Avenue, Chingford. On December 31 I left my house perfectly secure and on January 11, in consequence of a telegram I received, I returned home and found the house in charge of the police. I noticed that the door of the breakfast-room, which opened into the garden, had been forced off and all the doors, with the exception of the dining-room door, had been forced; the rooms were all in disorder. I missed a quantity of things. All the silver articles (produced) are mine. The value of the things stolen is roughly about £118.

Cross-examined by Mr. Roome. I lost a great many more things besides the things produced. The total value of the things stolen is about £100. The things produced here are not worth £100; they are not silver, they are plated. I have had them some time. I was insured against burglary. I have never had the things valued.

SUSAN DAVEY . I worked for Mrs. Davis on December 31. When I left the house it was securely locked. I had the keys in my possession.

WILLIAM FREDERICK MASON , rent collector. On January 10 I went to Mrs. Davis's house and I found the back casement door was broken open. I went into the house and found the place in disorder. I informed the police, and Police-constable Juniper saw me put a new bolt on the door and securely fasten it. I went there again the next morning and found the back scullery door had been forced. It had not been forced before. I went inside the house and I missed the two bicycles, which were there before. The casement door, which I had secured with the new lock, had been broken and the rooms were in greater disorder than before.

Police-constable JOHN JUNIPER , 744 N. On January 10 I was on duty in The Avenue; knowing Mrs. Davis was away I tried the front door of No. 10, and then went round to the back door. I found the French doors broken open and I went in and found the rooms in confusion. In the scullery I found two jemmies and I saw two bicycles there. Mr. Mason came and we left the place again secured. At nine o'clock the next morning I went to the house again and found it had been broken open again. I made a search and the two bicycles were missing.

Divisional-detective-inspector ARTHUR TRITTON . On January 23 at 7.30 p.m. I was with Detectives Scholes, Walters, and Ford in Green Lanes, Tottenham. Prisoner Wilson came out of the "Wallington" public-house, and was about to get on a tram. I stopped him and told him I was a police-inspector and was going to arrest him for stealing and receiving a quantity of plated goods, china, and bicycles and a dinner service, stolen at Chingford. He said, "You can come to my house and see what I have got." I went to his house, 16, Carlingford Road. I said to him, "Five men are in custody, and you are said to have bought the goods I mentioned from them." He said, "The things you mention were brought to me about a fortnight ago by a man named Kensett, who I had been introduced to, I do not know by whom. I think he was an auctioneer's porter; I gave him £8 10s. altogether for them; I still have the things; I gave him the money in this house; he said he had been valuing and this was the overplus; Kensett brought them on a cart; there were two men with them; I gave him £7 10s. for the china and bicycles, not £8 10s." We searched Wilson's premises. I found the dinner service and the dessert service in boxes in a front room on the ground floor and also the two bicycles. It was an unfurnished room, just used as a store-room. Some of the things were set out on a sideboard in prisoner's drawing-room. I pointed out to prisoner that these articles were the subject of the charge on which I had arrested him, and he said, "The first lot Kensett brought

to me." Inspector Scholes found a roll of black cloth that was in the front room with the other things. Prisoner went on to say, "Last Saturday night about half-past seven Kensett called here with a parcel of black cloth; he asked me to lend him £1 on it, and I gave him a sovereign." Scholes then said, "That answers the description of some cloth stolen with other things at Wood Green on Saturday." On the way to the station Wilson said, "There was a soup tureen with something in letters on it; I sent it to have them taken out." On January 24 I saw prisoners Kensett, Cooper, Nicholls, Harris, and Knapp at the police station and told them they would be charged with housebreaking at Chingford. Nicholls said, "That is quite true. I only went once; we brought the bicycles and boxes away in my cart." Knapp said, "I only went the second time; I helped to load the things in Nicholls's cart; there was some silver, a lot of china, some clothes, and two bicycles."

To Mr. Roome. I do not know that Wilson is in the second-hand trade, and I saw no evidence of it at his premises. It is a private house with a yard adjoining and a stable. I know he keeps a horse and trolley and employs a man to sell coal. When we went to Wilson's house he gave us every assistance in searching his house. He subsequently said he was introduced to Kensett by Mr. Briggs, the manager of the "Wallington" public-house.

Detective-sergeant JOHN TUCKER . On January 24 I went to 16, Carlingford Road, and I received from Wilson's wife the powder-box and two cut-glass scent bottles; they were afterwards shown to and identified by Mrs. Davis. I went to the house on the 27th and his wife gave me the soup tureen (produced).

Detective JAMES FORD . I was with Inspector Tritton and Scholes keeping watch on the "Wallington" public-house on January 23 and accompanied them to 16, Carlingford Road. On January 27 I went to 13, Ashford Road, where Kensett lives, and found the paper bag (Exhibit 3), containing 1,950 foreign stamps, and in the kitchen I found the antimacassars. On January 30 I was in the solicitors' room at the rear of Tottenham Petty Sessions Court and prisoner Wilson handed me an envelope containing 50,000 foreign stamps. He said, "You had better take these; I bought them off Kensett."

LEONARD HALL , groundsman, Bruce Grove ground, White Hart Lane. On December 17 I left the seven pavilions secured, and on going there next morning six of the seven pavilions had been broken into. I missed four bats, six stumps, and various other things, which I have since seen. I also missed ten bath towels, two rackets, and various other things, which I have not seen since. The total value of the things missed is about £13 10s.

Detective JAMES FORD, recalled. I accompanied the other officers to Wilson's house and found the things identified by last witness.

CHARLES ALFRED WHITELAW , steward and groundsman at Mann, Crossman, and Paulin's athletic ground, Blackhorse Lane. On January 17 I left the grounds and pavilion securely locked and the next morning I found that the door of the pavilion had been forced. I

missed six cricket bats, 13 batting gloves, and various other things, which I have since seen; I also missed three bats, a pair of cloth boots, and a number of other articles, the total value of which is about £10.

Detective-sergeant GEORGE WALTERS . I accompanied the other officers to Wilson's house. I heard Wilson say to Inspector Tritton, "You will find the bats upstairs and the other cricket things." I went upstairs into the back room and there found the things identified by Mr. Whitelaw.

ALBERT EDWARD DARLISON , ladies' mantle maker, 30, Stanford Avenue, Wood Green. At 5.45 on January 18 I left my house secured but unoccupied. I returned at about ten o'clock and found the front door open and the rooms in disorder. I missed a silver cigarette case, a silver cigar case, and various other things, to the value of about £30.

Detective ALFRED SCHOLES . I went with the other officers to the "Wallington" public-house on January 23. I heard Wilson say, "I will tell you the truth; I have bought some things off Kensett; he was introduced to me as a man who bought up things at sales." I went with him to 16, Carlingford Road, and there he produced this roll of cloth; he said, "Kensett and another man brought it last Friday or Saturday evening, but nothing else, and I gave him £1."


CHARLES NICHOLLS (prisoner, not on oath) said that he simply carted the stuff away for Wilson, being told it was a moving job.

JOHN KNAPP (prisoner, not on oath) said he could say no more than Nicholls had said.

WILLIAM WILSON (prisoner, on oath) repeated the story he told to Inspector Tritton. He declared that he had no suspicion when he bought the goods off Kensett that they were stolen.

Verdict, Wilson, Guilty; Nicholls and Knapp, Not Guilty. The remaining indictments against Wilson and Nicholls were not proceeded with.

Kensett confessed to having been convicted, at this Court, on April 23, 1912, of housebreaking.

Sentences: Wilson, Twenty months' hard labour; Kensett, Twelve months' hard labour in respect of each offence, to run concurrently; Goddard and Harris (each). Four months' hard labour in respect of each offence, to run concurrently; Nicholls, Fourteen days' hard labour.

View as XML