24th October 1887
Reference Numbert18871024-1058
VerdictNot Guilty > unknown

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

1058. BOWEN ENDACOTT (A police constable) was indicted for wilful and corrupt perjury committed by him before Robert Milne Newton, Esq., on 29th June last.


WALTER CROW . I am second clerk at Great Marlborough Street Police-court—on 29th June last I was present when Miss Cass was charged before the presiding Magistrate, Mr. Newton, and I took down in a book called the "Notes of Evidence" the evidence given on oath by Police-constable Endacott; I have no doubt he was sworn, but I cannot say I actually saw it because some one was asking me a question at the time—this note is abbreviated. Read: "Bowen Endacott, 42 DR.—At 9.30 last night in Regent Street prisoner (meaning Miss Cass) and another got hold of a gent who got away; prisoner caught hold of two more gents; one said in her hearing It's very hard I should be stopped; it's the third time I have been stopped in this street.' Have seen her there three times in the last six weeks; from her manner I believe her to be a prostitute; the other woman was with her."

Cross-examined. I have been over four years at Marlborough Street—I was not actually aware that Endacott had been put on special patrol duty, but I concluded he was—in that part of London there are more charges with regard to annoyances in the street from women, than any other part of London—I have known as many as 20 or 30 in a day, in a great many Endacott has given evidence, and as far as I know his truthfulness was never challenged up to this time—the Guildhall illuminations were a week before this—it is usual for a Magistrate to discharge a woman upon being first charged, unless it is a specially bad case—this was quite an ordinary case—I understood the statement "Have seen her there three times in the last six weeks" to include the night

before—it is usual for the accused person to be asked "Do you wish to ask any question," and I have no doubt it was asked on this occasion—from first to last no question was put by Miss Cass upon the evidence of Endacott—there was never any statement made by Eadacott that there was any annoyance or soliciting except in Regent Street.

Re-examined. I have given the whole of the statement which Endacott made, and in the words in which he made it—Endacott would sometimes give evidence in two or three cases of this kind of a morning, and sometimes there would not be any—I have known him ever since I have been at the Court, bringing such charges as these, that is four years—I presumed he was on special duty, from the frequency of these charges being brought by him; sometimes we might not have such a charge for days, and then sometimes he would have two or three in a morning—it is usual when a defendant has been discharged to fill up the charge sheet in this way; the letters "dis" put on here are in the writing of the assistant-gaoler; I also put the word "dis" in the margin of my note.

By a Juror. When there were 20 or 30 of these prostitutes brought in in a day they would not all be brought in by special constables; some would be brought in by ordinary constables.

MARSHALL INMAN . I am an architect and surveyor of I, Bedford Row—I caused a plan to be prepared of Regent Circus and the adjacent streets, which I produce—it is correct.

ELIZABETH CASS . My name is now Elizabeth Langley—I have been married since the commencement of these proceedings—my maiden name was Cass—I am 24 years of age—until the 27th of April last I had spent my life mostly at Stockton-on-Tees—my occupation was that of a dressmaker, and I resided with my father and mother—before April 27th I had never been to London—on that day I came to London, and went to stay with Mrs. Tompkins, at Manor Park, Forest Gate—she was a friend of mine, and the wife of a person in whose employment I had been at Stockton—while I was at Mrs. Tompkins's I did work for her, and on two or three occasions I visited her mother-in-law at Romford—I was employed to do work for her—when I went there some one accompanied me to the station, and met me coming back, and on each occasion I went straight there and back—while residing with Mrs. Tompkins I also went twice to Mrs. Robertson's at Trinity Square, Borough, and stayed there on two occasions, once three days, and once five or six days—I was employed there dressmaking for Mrs. Robertson—I used to work till about 9 o'clock in the evening—while I was staying with Mrs. Tompkins I came to town with her on two occasions to look for a situation—on one occasion I went to the City with her, to the wholesale houses, and on one occasion to the West End—I could not tell you at all the date of that, but we were in Regent Street at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon—I had never been in Regent Street before 28th June, except on that occasion—we walked in Regent Street, but I don't remember whether we walked up Oxford Street or away from Oxford Street—I don't remember what part of Regent Street we were in on that occasion—about the end of May I saw an advertisement of Madame Bowman's; it was on Whit Tuesday, May 31st—that was while I was staying at Mrs. Robertson's—I then went to Southampton Bow by Mrs. Robertson's leave to answer that advertisement, and I arranged to go to Madame Bowman's, and on June 7th I went to Madame Bowman's and coinmenced

my duties as forewoman there—I lived in the house and occupied the same room and the same bed as Jane Scott—our time for leaving off work in the evening was 8 o'clock, and we all had supper together between 8.30 and 9 o'clock—Mr. Bowman lived in the house, and Mr. and Mrs. Banks, relatives of theirs, were staying there—on two occassions, between the 7th and 28th of June, I spent from Saturday till Monday with Mrs. Tompkins at Forest Gate, leaving off work at 4 o'clock on the Saturday afternoon, and returning to work at 9 o'clock on the Monday morning, having left Mrs. Tompkins at a quarter to 8—once or twice I went, to the post, which is at the bottom of the street, but came back immediately—on the Sunday before the Jubilee I went to the City with Jane Scott after church in the evening, but we came back to supper—with those exceptions I had not been out at all during the time I was with Madame Bowman—on the evening of 28th June I left off work as usual about 8 o'clock, and I asked Madame Bowman's leave to go out, and, getting it, I went out between 8.30 and a quarter to 9—I was then dressed as I am now, and I was alone—on leaving the house I turned to the left, and went through Bloomsbury Square and past the British Museum into Tottenham Court Road and then I turned to the right and went as far as Baker's, which is a large shop, and then I turned round and came down Tottenham Court Road again—I knew at that time that it was Tottenham Court Road—when I got to the bottom of Tottenham Court Road, I noticed a jeweller's shop which was built out from the other shops—I then turned to the right and knew I was in Oxford Street—I then went along as far as Peter Robinson's, keeping the same side all the way—at Regent Circus I turned to the right and went as far as the church (All Souls', Langham Place)—I did not know the name of the church, but there were steps all round it—I then turned and came back to Regent Circus, and then turned to the left along the same side of Oxford Street I had been before—during all that time I had been alone—I had spoken to no one, and no one had spoken to me—after I turned to the left in Oxford Street there was a little crowd at the corner, and when I had got through it, Endacott came up, took hold of my arm, and said, "I want you"—I said "What for?"—he replied "I have been watching you for some time"—I said "You have made a mistake"—he said "Oh no, I have not," and said "Who is that girl you were with?"—I said "I was not with any girl" he said "Oh yes you were, but she has slipped behind somewhere"—I replied "You have made a mistake, I was not with any girl" he said "Yes you were; don't tell lies; I wish I could have put my hand on her, as she is worse than you"—I said "You have made a mistake"—he replied "Oh no I haven't"—I then, asked where he was taking me to—he said to Tottenham Court Road Police-station—I asked him to go to Madame Bowman's with me, and he said he could not—by that time we had got out of Oxford Street and turned into Great Portland Street—it was before Madame Bowman's name was mentioned that something was said about three weeks—he said "I have known you some time"—I replied "You could not have done; I have only been in London six weeks"—I then asked him not to take hold of ray arm—he replied that he must or else I should tell them at the police-station that he let me walk quietly—he then asked whether Madame Bowman would bail me out—I said "Bail me out?" and he did not answer—I knew what bail meant, but I did not know that I should need it—no gentleman ever said in my hearing that he had been stopped several times—at no

time during that evening had I accosted or spoken to any gentleman—when I arrived at the police-station Endacott spoke to another policeman, whose name I did not know, but I did not hear what he said—before the charge was taken Endacott said to me "You don't know me, do you?"—I said "No"—he said "Oh, but I know you, and have done so for some time"—at that time he was near me and looking at me, and the place was light—Endacott said he had known me for some time, about six weeks—I said he could not have done, as I had only lived in London three weeks—he said "You said six weeks just now"—I replied "I have been in London three weeks, but I have been staying at Manor Park"—I next remember feeling giddy and I fell, and someone brought me some water, and a chair was also brought fur me—another policeman said to me" Don't put yourself about, it will be all right"—I did not say any more to Endacott then, or he to me, before Sergeant Coomber came in—when Sergeant Coomber came in Endacott spoke to him, but I did not hear what was said—Sergeant Coomber took down what he said—Sergeant Coomber then asked me my name, and I said "Elizabeth Cass"—he then asked whether I could read and write, and I said I could—a policeman standing by me then led me into a cell, and Sergeant Coomber followed behind, and I asked him if he would send for Madame Bowman, and he laid he would—the policeman Endacott had spoken to had asked me where I lived, and I had given him my address before Sergeant Coomber came in—I was then locked in the cell, and remained there for about an hour, and Madame Bowman then came—I did not see Endacott when I came out of the cell—Madame Bowman bailed me out, and next morning I went with her to the police-court, and Endacott was there called as a witness against me and was sworn, and then Madame Bowman made a statement and I was allowed to leave.

Cross-examined. I arrived at King's Cross Station about 8 p.m. on Wednesday, 27th April—Mrs. Tompkins met me there, and we went straight to her residence at Manor Park—I went to Mrs. Robertson, at Trinity Square, twice in May, the first time staying three days—it was about a fortnight after I came from King's Cross that I first went from Manor Park to Mrs. Robertson; that would be about the 10th May—it was either Monday or Tuesday I went there, and I stayed until Friday—it was said that, although I might do work for Mrs. Robertson, it would also be nearer for me to look out for a situation—Mrs. Robertson keeps a lodging-house—I did her private work for her—I did not go outside the door the first three days I was there—when I went there I took an omnibus from Liverpool Street to Southwark, and I took an omnibus back—it was nearly a fortnight before I went to Mrs. Robertson again—I went back to her on the Saturday before Whit Sunday, and I again took an omnibus from Liverpool Street, and I went back from Mrs. Robertson's in an omnibus—I then stayed until the following Saturday—the week after the 28th May I stayed at Forest Gate; I first went to Mrs. Robertson's about 10th May, and came back on the 13th, the Friday—I then went back to Mrs. Tompkins, at Manor Park, and on the following Tuesday I went to Mrs. Tompkins, at Averley Hall, and stayed with her two days, and then went back on the Friday to Mrs. Tompkins, at Manor Park, and stayed with her till Tuesday, the 24th, and then on the 24th I went to Mrs. Robertson's—I went back from Mrs. Robertson's to Manor Park on Friday, 13th May, and then on Tuesday the 17th I went from Manor Park to Romford,

and then came back from Romford to Manor Park on Thursday, 19th, and on the Saturday I went to Romford again, and stayed three days, and then came buck to Manor Park; but I don't remember what date it was—I only stayed one day, and on the Saturday I went to Trinity Square—that was the Saturday before Whitsuntide—I stayed there till the following Saturday—on Whit Tuesday, shortly after dinner. I took an omnibus to the Bank, and then walked from there to Southampton Row, arriving there between 4 and 5 p.m.—I remained there perhaps half an hour, and then I walked back to Trinity Square—I did not go back to the Bank; I went over Westminster Bridge, and got back to Mrs. Robertson's between 8 and 9 p.m.—I only went into one shop to buy some ribbon, but that did not take me long—that was the only time, during the six days' visit to Mrs. Robertson, that I went out—I was also out one night for about 10 minutes, and that is all the time I have spent in the streets of London—the day when I walked from Trinity Square, and over Westminster Bridge, is a different occasion to when I came to town with Mrs. Tompkins and was in Regent Street about 3 o'clock—I know a young man named Arthur Settle; he is an assistant at Shoolbred's; that is where I went to buy the ribbon—I was being served by another young man, and I asked for Mr. Settle—that was after 5 in the afternoon; it was not as early as 4 o'clock—I went to Shoolbred's after I had been to Southampton Row; I am quite sure of that—Mr. Settle was called to speak to me, at my request, and I told him I was at Trinity Square for a few days—I did not say I was lodging at Mrs. Robertson's, and could get about—I told him I was at Mrs. Robertson's, and I was going about to see if I could get a situation—he told me that he could not leave business till 7.30, and I told him I would come back at that time—there was no one else in the shop near enough to hear what we said—this was as I was leaving, after I had been served with the ribbon—Settle was going to walk back with me to Trinity Square; that was the arrangement—I went back punctually at 7.30, and it was nearly 8 o'clock before he appeared—I waited in the street for him, and walked up and down Tottenham Court Road—I was not waiting in Tottenham Court Road all the time from half-past 7 till 8; I went in a street by the side of Tottenham Court Road—I did not go into any house—from the time I made the appointment till after 8 I was looking about in shops, but I did not enter any shops—I did not go out of Tottenham Court Road—I did not go into Oxford Street and look at the bonnet shops—the walk with Mrs. Tompkins in Regent Street was before I had been to Romford, and before I had been to Mrs. Robertson's—it was not quite 8 when Mr. Settle came out—I then walked with him. over Westminster Bridge to Mrs. Robertson's house in Trinity Square, and we arrived there about 9—I don't remember if it was half-past 9; I don't think it had gone 9—I don't recollect the streets we went through from Tottenham Court Road to Westminster Bridge—with the exception of the evening I went out for about 10 minutes, that is the only time I went out whilst on my second visit to Mrs. Robertson—it was after Mr. Settle had seen me home that I went out for 10 minutes—I could not say how many nights I slept at Romford during the whole three visits; about seven—I did not go to Trinity Square a second time after I had been to Mrs. Tompkins at Romford—once I walked from Romford Station to Mrs. Tompkins, and once I walked back—I don't know how many minutes it takes to travel

from Liverpool Street to Manor Park—I entered Mrs. Bowman's situation on 7th June—I have said that I went down to Manor Park, from my situation, on three Sundays, but I know I was one Sunday at Mrs. Bowman's; I don't remember which—on that Sunday I went to church in the morning, and went for a walk to the City in the evening with Miss Scott, and Mrs. Tennell, Mrs. Bowman's sister—the ware-houses were all closed then—we went to look round—I went to the wholesale houses with Mrs. Tompkins; I came up from Manor Park on purpose—that was not the same day that I walked up and down Regent Street, another day; it was before I went to Mrs. Robertson's at all—I can't tell what time I got to London—we returned to Manor Park in the afternoon; I know it was after dinner—I had been out to see the illuminations the week before the 28th June; it was Jubilee night, there were no conveyances in the streets, we walked—I don't remember where we went to—I do not know the extent of Regent Street—I don't know the part where you can see the Duke of York's Column—I don't remember noticing the illumination at Scott Adie's—I can't say I did not; I don't remember—I can't remember any special illumination—I can't say how many hours we were walking to see the illuminations; we went out about 9 and got home about 11; Mrs. Bowman and her sister, Mrs. Tennell, and Miss Scott were with me—I heard that there would be illuminations on the night of the 28th; I don't suppose they were going on for a week—I did not tell Mrs. Bowman on 28th June that I was going to meet a young man at Shoolbreds; I did not tell her what I was going out for—I went out to get a pair of gloves and see the illuminations, but I did not tell Mrs. Bowman so; I did not tell her why I wanted to go out—it was between half-past eight and a quarter to nine when I went out; I found the street lamps alight—I don't remember that though—I did not think of there being shops in Holborn where I could buy gloves—Schoolbred's was shut up when I got there, and I passed on—I made no inquiry there of any one whether Mr. Settle had gone out—I passed on to Chas. Baker's, at the corner of Euston Road, and then turned back and walked through Tottenham Court Road—most of the shops were closed—I did not see any drapers' shops open; I gave up the buying gloves after I left Tottenham Court Road—I had not given up seeing the illuminations; that was what I went up Oxford Street for—I did not notice that all the omnibuses and foot passengers were going to the City—I walked slowly down till I turned to the right—tha pavements were not crowded—I saw Jay's—I did not know that I was passing Peter Robinson's—I did not notice the police directing the omnibuses, or people scrambling for places to go to the City—I had just got round the corner in front of Peter Robinson's door, when Endacott said he wanted me; it was in Oxford Street, the door facing Oxford Street—that was the first place he spoke to me, and I was there taken into custody—there was a little crowd at the corner—I had just got through the crowd—I did not observe any policeman standing near me—I was just emerging from the crowd when Endacott stopped me, close to the crowd; about a yard—the conversation at the station about the mistake was before Coomber came in—I did not hear Coomber say to Endacott "What is this?"—I did not hear any words he said—the water was brought before he came in—I did not refuse to take the water; I took it out of the man's hand—I did not say "If I want water I can ask for it,"

or anything like it—I gave Coomber my name—I did not spell it—I gave my Christian name as well as my surname—he did not ask whether I was single or married—I did not give my address—I did not hear him say "You hear what the constable says; what have you to say?"—while he was taking the charge I did not say there was any mistake—he did not ask what I did for a living, or "What is your occupation?"—I did not say to any one before Coomber came in "He has made a mistake this time, I have only been up that way once or twice"—I did Dot use those words at all, nor anything like it—when the gaoler was at the cell door I asked him not to put me in there—I did not add "Can't I have bail?"—Coomber did not say "Yes, if you give me the name of any one;" nor did I then say "Mrs. Bowman, 19, Southampton Row, where I live"—that did not occur—I told the policeman where I lived—I did not say anything about having bail nor did he—when Endacott said he had seen me there several times before, I said "It can't be so, for I have only been in London six weeks"—I did not say at first three weeks; I said six weeks first. (MR. BESLEY referred to a previous statement of the witness, in which the was reported to have said, "I have only been in London three weeks") Yes, that is so; I made a mistake just now—I mentioned about Manor Park, before Coomber came in, to a policeman that Endacott spoke to—the first time I made a statement in public was on 12th July, at Scotland Yard—I don't remember whether I had employed a solicitor before that—I don't remember how many days before 12th July Mr. Bartram, the solicitor, was brought to me—Mr. Atherley Jones saw me on the Friday or Saturday after—I did not know him before—as far as I remember it was the beginning of the next week after Mr. Atherley Jones saw me that I saw Mr. Bartram—I did not see Mr. Bartram, or my counsel, almost every day before going to Scotland Yard—I could not say how many times I saw Mr. Bartram, once or twice—I don't remember seeing him and the Counsel at all before the 12th July—I gave an account of this matter at Scotland Yard on 21st, 22nd, and 25th July—I did not say anything on those occasions about my visits to Trinity Square; it was after Mr. Wontner asked me about Mr. Settle that I mentioned it—I have never until to-day mentioned in public about Mr. Settle walking with me to Trinity Square—I know Jane Elizabeth Whitehead; she is living at Stockton—she was in a situation there with me—I have known her perhaps 6 or 7 years—I was on perfectly good terms, and intimate, with her up to the time of leaving Stockton—I saw her on Monday, 25th April, two days before I left—she did not say she would come to the train and see me off next morning—I did not say "No, you cannot do it, Mr. Bryan will take me to the train"—she did not ask to go with me—I don't remember saying I was going on the Tuesday; I should hardly tell her that, when I was going on the Wednesday—I know Bridget Costello; I have known her about five years—she was a barmaid at two public-houses—I was on perfectly good terms with her—I saw her on Wednesday morning at the house where she lives—I am quite sure I was at Stockton on the Wednesday morning—I left by train on Wednesday morning; somewhere about ten or half-past ten I think it would be—we went through York—I left the train at York—I could not say how long I remained at York; perhaps about an hour and a half—a friend was with me, a male, Mr. Bryan—he had not come with me from Stockton; he met me at Eagleship; that is not far from

Stockton—it is a junction, two or three miles out of Durham—Mr. Bryant lived at Mandale Road, South Stockton, about a mile from Mr. Tompkins's shop—he joined my train about five miles from Stockton—we got to York about one o'clock in the day and, had lunch together at a shop, not at an hotel, nor at the station—we remained there about twenty minutes—he had no portmanteau with him nor do I remember him leaving one at the cloak room—after that we went back to the station—he did not travel with me, I parted with him at York station—I left there for London about three o'clock—I mean to say that I came to London on the same day that I took lunch in the house at York—I knew that Bryan was a married man, I had known him nearly a year—this was not an accidental meeting, I made the appointment with him, verbally, on I think the Monday, I believe it was after I parted with Frances Bridget Costello and Whitehead, it was some time in the evening and in the street; it might have been in our street, I don't remember—I told him the train I was going by from North Stockton station—he did not arrange to go in another carriage and join me at the junction station—he did not say that he would go, only that he might go—he never agreed to meet me at North Stockton station, but I looked out for him there and again at the junction—my father and brother saw me take my ticket and start—they did not see Bryan—this took place on the 22nd; I won't be sure whether it was Tuesday or Wednesday, but it was the same day as I got to London; I won't say that it was not Tuesday—I did not tell my friend Whitehead that Bryan had given me a satchel and gloves and was going to meet me on my departure; nothing of the kind—I had seen Bryan twice a week for some weeks before, say from Christmas—he never gave me a satchel; he has given me one pair of gloves and a glove box, I don't remember anything else, but there may have been—he gave me a ring—there was a stone in it—it was a diamond—he gave me that just before I came away—I have not got it now—I never visited his wife—he did not tell me that he had been forbidden his own brother's house on account of his acquaintance with me, and that his brother's wife had paid that he should not come there while he knew me—I know that Mrs. Bryan left the day before. Christmas Day and was in London, she was absent for a few days—I do not know that at that time a female servant was left in the house with Mr. Bryan—he told me that he won a goose at a raffle—he did not tell me he had given the girl leave to go out on Christmas Day and ask me to come and cook the goose; nor did I do so—I did not go to Bryan's house on Christmas Day, or spend any part of the day with him—I did not see him on Christmas Day, but I saw him the next day, Sunday—I did not cook the goose on the Sunday, I was not in the house at all, but I met him on the ice at Norton, about a mile from Stockton, and was with him about two hours—I was not with him in any house that day, nor on Christmas Day, the day before—on Good Friday, 8th of April this year, I went out for a drive with him—I joined his dog cart just before twelve o'clock at Norton, which is one or two miles from Stockton, a little farther than the place where I skated on the ice—we went to Castle Eden, fourteen miles, or not so much, from Stockton—no one else was with us—I sat on the driving sea and drove for a portion of the journey—we did not go straight to Castle Eden—we drove to a place called Hart—we did not have lunch there—before we got to Castle Eden while I was holding the reins

a person whose name I do not know acknowledged Mr. Bryan—I should know him again—I have not seen him since—at Castle Eden we put up at the hotel; the horse was put in the stable, and Mr. Bryan and I went to a private room—I knew perfectly well that Mrs. Bryan was away with her children, but I did not know where she was—we remained in the private room about an hour—I do not remember what refreshment we had; we then went out for a walk, and returned to the hotel, and the horse was put to—I do not remember Mr. Bryan lifting me into the dog cart, he may have helped me, and also on our arrival—I did not jump into his arms on arrival—we left Castle Eden about 9.30; it was not dark; it took us quite an hour and a half to drive the 14 miles—we did not meet any of his friends on the road coming back after dark—he did not take me to my door, he put me down at the bottom of the street, a good distance from the livery stable where he hired the trap, but not a mile—I did not go in at our back entrance; I was living in Cardigan Street; and he put me down where two roads join; I walked up Cardigan Street to my house, and he drove to the livery stables—I do not remember seeing him on the Saturday, nor was an appointment made for a drive on Easter Sunday if it was fine, but before I parted with him on Good Friday we made an appointment for Easter Monday at 2 o'clock, which he kept—he was walking, and he went and got a trap while I waited on the road—he overtook me with the trap, not the same trap, and we went to Castle Eden again; no one else was with us—I took the reins again and sat on the driving seat, and he by my side—I think I drove all the way, but not back—we did not again see the person who had acknowledged Mr. Bryan before—I do not know a person named Taylor—we went the same road to Castle Eden, and got there about 5.30 or 6 o'clock—we went to the same hotel—he helped me out the same as before—we had a private room; we went for a walk, and wont back to tea—it was not dark when the trap was brought round; we left about 7; it took us an hour and a half or three quarter to drive back to Stockton, and we got back about 9 or half past—I did not have the reins going back—he put me down at the same place, and went on to the livery stable—I have driven Mr. Bryan to Seaton Carew, which is from 7 to 11 miles from Stockton; it is not more than 12 miles—that was before we went to Castle Eden—we went twice to Seaton Carew—it was a two-wheeled trap and a single horse, and no one else with us—we put up at the same hotel at Seaton Carew both times, and had a private room—we were not alone there each time for three hours, only about an hour and a half—we had a walk there for about three-quarters of an hour, but we were only in Seaton between an hour and a half and two hours—I do not know Wellington Road—he drove me, twice to Seaton, and we went there once by train from North Stockton—we walked to the hotel—that was by previous appointment verbally—I did not know that his wife and family were at Redcar, but I knew she was away—I never knew that on a Sunday he was coming from the place where his wife and family were, to meet me at Stockton—I do not remember his coming to Stockton while his wife and family were away—I have never been inaide his house—I have often walked with him in the lanes near Stockton between 8 and 9 o'clock in the winter months when it was dark—I know Mr. Bevan, of the Albert beer shop, the last person with whom Bridget Costello was barmaid—before she went there she was not employed at the Westbourne Hotel, she was at the Garrick Hotel, Yarn Lane, Stockton—I

remember one evening being seen by Mr. Bevan on the railway station platform at Darlington as late as 11 o'clock—a male friend was with me, Mr. Turner—he was not kissing me; I had been at Darlington that day to fit some work which I had done for Mary Costello, the sister of Bridget—I was not there all day; I left the house about 9 to go by the 9.30 train, and Mary went with me—I did not say to heron seeing a young man standing at an hotel door, "See how I will take him on"—I did not make any laugh or signal—a strange person did not speak to me in Mary Costello's presence and say "Good evening"—she wished me good night and went home, and I went to the station with the young man—I do not think it was as late as 11.30 when I went back—I am speaking of the time when Mr. Bevan saw me on the platform—I had met Turner before in Stockton, and I stayed with him till Mr. Bevan saw us—I missed the 9.20 train, I had not time to catch if, when I left Mary Costello; I did not leave her within three minutes' walk of the train, it was more than that—I did not purposely miss the train—Turner was with me; I had met him at Stockton in the afternoon; I had met him twice before, I will not swear to three times—the gentleman I speak of as a commercial traveller was not standing at the hotel door just before Mary Costello left me—he said "Good evening"—Mary Costello remained a minute or two, and then left Turner to see me to the railway station—he did not go back with me to Stockton, he left me on the platform—I saw Mr. Bevan there, but I did not know him—I did not go back to Mr. Tomkinson's house that night; I went to Cardigan Street, where I was living—Bryan has sent me letters—I do not know who brought them—there were a good many of them—they did not come by post; a boy brought me perhaps three; Bryan has passed Tomkinson's shop, and made a signal to me, but I could not go out till after business hours—his walking past the shop did not mean for me to meet him after closing hours—I generally did meet him on the days on which he had passed, but not always—he was carrying on business in Stockton at that time—I did not know him before he was married—I have known him nearly a year—he is no relation or connection of mine; his age is about 30—I do not say that I was not out with him before Christmas, more frequently since, but not a good many times—I do not remember how many drives there were before Christmas—there might have been sir and there might have been a dozen walks—no one remonstrated with me for my acquaintance with a married man, nor did I say that I did not care, I would have him—I said that I had broken it off with Langley, my present husband.

By the COURT. Bridget Costello remonstrated with me about my acquaintance with Bryan, but it was not in answer to that that I said I had broken off with Langley; I told her, but not at that time—I do not remember what I said in answer to her remonstrance.

By MR. BESLEY. I broke it off with Langley about a fortnight before I came to London—he was working at Burton—we were married about 17th August, on a Friday, and he went to Burton on Sunday night and I remained in London, and have not seen him since till last Saturday; since then I have been living with him—I wrote to him—I was born at Grantham—there is a family of Cass's at Stockton with two daughters; they are no relations of mine, and I never spoke to them in my life—I do not know George Simmonds, a watch and musical instrument dealer, who was formerly at 14 and 15 Bridge Street, South Stockton (George Simmonds

was called into Court)—I have seen that man before; Bridget Costello introduced him to me when she was barmaid at the Royal at Middlesborough—she called there to pay for a watch, which had been repaired or purchased, and introduced me to him as a friend of hers—I did not meet him two or three weeks afterwards, and again from time to time for eight weeks, nor did he then ask me one Sunday afternoon to go to his house—I do not remember having seeing him since I was introduced, and I have never spoken to him since—it was not arranged that he should go into his house first and leave the door ajar that I might follow without being seen—it is not true—I did not go into his house on a Sunday afternoon—I did not go to his shop on any evening of the week nor on several Sundays—I do not know of his leaving the shop the following spring—I do not remember in what year I was introduced to him—after I had made Simmonds' acquaintance he did not speak to me about my goings—on with Bryan; I have never spoken to him at all since I was introduced to him—I never left his house by the back door—I have known Bridget Costello as barmaid at three different public-houses, the Royal at Middlet-borough, the Garrick at Stockton, and the Alma—while my husband was away I lived at Mrs. Beaumont's and worked for her—it was after 28th June that I renewed my engagement with Langley—I was not writing to him all the time I was at Mrs. Bowman's, not between going then and the 28th—I knew he was coming to London to go to Scotland Yard, and on the 21st July I went there with him—we had made it up between 27th June and 28th July, after I saw Mr. Bartram.

Re-examined. Ever since I was 11 years old I have been living in the name of Cass—the father and mother of the other Miss Cass are living there as Mr. and Mrs. Cass—I came from Birmingham at 7 years old, went to Stockton, and went to the British school—I did not enter into any employment till I was about 14—I then went to Mrs. Charlton to be taught the business of dressmaking; I was with her 12 mouths—after that I was employed at Messrs. Carter's, one of the largest businesses in Stockton, first as an improver and afterwards as a dressmaker; I was there altogether about 3 years—I afterwards got a situation at Mrs. Robertson's, a dressmaker, at Middlesborough; I was there for 18 months—I do remember the date when I was with Mrs. Stanforth, but it was for about 9 months—I stayed in Mr. Tompkins' employ till he gave up business, and came up to London either in June or July, 1886—I was in his employ over 2 years—his successor in the business was a Mr. Davis—after being out of a situation 2 or 3 months I went to Mr. Davis and was employed by him in the same way, from September 1886 to 23rd April 1887, when I left his employment, and 4 days later I came to London—I gave these particulars to my solicitor when I first saw him, and information was given to Endacott's solicitor in order that inquiries might be made—I had never spoken to Simmonds till I was introduced to him by Bridget Costello; she was a machinist at Cardiff when I first met her—I have only been in a house with Simmonds the first time she took me to the shop—I do not remember where I first saw Mr. Turner, or which of the business houses I was in when I saw the Costellos—I know nothing of him and do not know where he lives—I have never walked out with him or been anywhere with him except on the occasion I went to the station with him—I was too late for the train and waited about outside the station till the next train started—nobody spoke to me

about it—I do not know Mr. Bevan—I was introduced to Mr. Bryan first by Bridget Costello; we were walking down the High Street and we meet him—I did not know him before and she did not know his name—she only knew him by his coming to the house—she introduced him to me as a friend—I did not know he was a married man till nearly 3 months afterwards, some time in the summer of 1886—Seaton Carew is a place to which excursions are made from Stockton—I don't remember noticing anyone as we went to Castle Eden on Good Friday or Easter Monday—the private room we had was rather large; I do not know that it is used as a sitting room—I was not in a bedroom with Bryan there or anywhere else—we had our meal in the private room, and the landlady brought it and attended upon us—there has never been any immoral relation of any kind between me and Mr. Bryan—I have acquainted my husband with these matters, and he has the ring now which Mr. Bryan gave me—on 28th June my husband was in a situation at Burton, and he is still there; he came up in July and returned, and I have continued in Madame's Bowman's employment—I went several times in August to attend the inquiry in this matter, and attended here last session—I did not start from Stockton one day and arrive in London the next; I got to London the same day as I left home—with the exception of the shop at York, where we went to get refreshment. I did not go into any place with Mr. Bryan that day—when I arrived at King's Cross, Mrs. Tompkins met me and took me to her house at Forest Gate—I do not keep a diary—when I went from Forest Gate to Romford on three occasions, I took the train from Manor Park to Romford each time; Mrs. Tompkins went to the station with me the first time and saw me off—I walked once to the hall, and on the other days the groom was mere with the trap—I went each time without stopping to meet anybody—I do not remember the date when I went with Mrs. Tompkins to Regent Street and then to Mrs. Robertson's—we started from Manor Park after dinner and came to Liverpool Street, London, by train, and then took an omnibus—I do not remember where we got out; we walked about and had tea—I do not remember calling anywhere before we went to Mrs. Robertson's—we went back to Forest Gate in the evening—I have known Arthur Settle about 5 years; he is a draper; he did not live at Stockton, but his parents did; I did not know them; he lived in York—I have known him about 5 years, but have not seen much of him—I do not know how long he has been at Shoolbred's—I knew he was there—his father told me he was in London, and Mrs. Robertson told me he was at Shoolbred's—Mrs. Robertson did not know him, but she knew from Mrs. Tompkins that he was there; she had lived at Stockton—on the evening that I was waiting for Settle to go with me, I did not go to Tottenham Court Road at all—I did not know the names of the streets—that was the first time I had been at Tottenham Court Road—he saw me back to Mrs. Robertson's—I was out on Jubilee night from about 9 till 11—during that time I walked through the streets where the illuminations were, but I don't know where we went—it was not a glass of water they brought me at the station, it was a tin, and I took it up and put it on the table—I never said "If I wanted water I could ask for it"—Mrs. Bowman's name was first mentioned on the 28th, as we were going to the police-station, and I told the constable about Southampton Row in the

charge room, before Sergeant Coomber came in—I asked them to send for Mrs. Bowman both before and after Coomber came in.

By MR. BESLEY. I remember being asked at Scotland Yard in what capacity Settle was; whether he was in the counting-house or not, and I said in the drapery department—I was not asked whether I had been out with him—Mr. Grain did not ask me whether I had ever been in company with him—I did not deny, from first to last, having walked with him, because I was not asked, but I was asked if there had been anything improper between us.

By the JURY. When Endacott apprehended me he was in uniform—I was allowed to go out any evening after business at Madame Bowman's.

MARY ANN BOWMAN . I live at 19, Southampton Row; I have been there seven years, and occupy the whole house except the ground-floor, which are offices—I have been dressmaking for 30 years—on Whit Tuesday I advertised for a first-hand and fitter, and had an answer from Miss Cass—I took references, and engaged her—the arrangement was that she was to live and take her meals with my family, and sleep in the same room and bed with my niece, Jane Scott, and to be forewoman; and from 7th June to 28th September she slept in the same room with my niece, and took her meals with me—I never saw her in Regent Street between June 7th and June 28th, and she had no opportunity of going there—she never went out—she was not out, without my knowledge and permission, between those dates, but on the 28th she asked leave to go out to make a small purchase—I went out with my sister, Mrs. Tennell, and Miss Cass, on Jubilee night—we went across Long Acre, Piccadilly, and by the Green Park to Buckingham Palace, and saw them going to dinner—we returned across the park, making for Piccadilly by the time they were lighting up—from Piccadilly, we went, I think, through St. James's Street, where there were very nice clubs, and then into Pall Mall—we passed the top of Regent Street—I was with her the whole time—I do not know whether Regent Street was the proper way to go when we had passed the clubs—we were only out two hours and a half—I remember Endacott coming to me after 10 o'clock on 28th June—I had a conversation with him, and went and found Miss Cass in a cell at the station—I put in bail for her, and she was released—I attended next morning and made a communication to the Magistrate.

Cross-examined. I am one of four children; I am the third—I have one brother—my maiden name was James—my sister is Mary Ann Tennell; she is my only sister—I still say that Jane Scott is my niece by my husband's sister—Mrs. Banks has been my adopted daughter—I do not see what her divorce has to do with this case—she has never brought home men—I have never used filthy or foul language in my workroom.

Re-examined. I have been married 28 years, and have been at 19, Southamp to a Row seven years in March—my husband resides there with me; he keeps the looks, and I attend to the business—no complaint of my house, or suggestion as to its character, has ever been made—I appeared at Marlborough Street when Miss Cass was under charge, and gave evidence at Bow Street when Endacott was under charge.

By MR. BESLEY. Miss Cass never went out of the house alone only to the post-office once—she was at our house on one or two Saturdays—I cannot say that she was with me one Sunday—I don't think I said that she went to Manor Park every Saturday—when I said she never went out

of the house, I meant alone; she went out but not alone; she went out with my sister, Mrs. Tennell, but only one Sunday evening.

JANE SCOTT . I am Mrs. Bowman's niece, and am an apprentice—I came from Brigan, near Carlisle, and have been with her, at Southampton Row, 10 months—when Miss Cass was there she slept in the same bed with me—we had supper together—I remember going into the City on the Sunday evening just before the Jubilee day; we had been to church, and came out about half-past 8, an I walked down to see the preparations; we got back to supper—I went out on Jubilee night with my aunt and Miss Cass—on the other Sundays Miss Cass went away in the afternoon—with these exceptions, she was there to supper every night—I remember her going out on the night of the 28th, when this happened.

Cross-examined. We four went out on Jubilee night—I cannot describe the way we walked—I do not know Recent Street, I cannot say that we did not go there—I did not mention going out on the Jubilee night when I was before the Magistrate—when we went into the City the day before Jubilee day we did not walk down Regent Street to get to the City—Miss Cass did not walk with me, I walked with my aunt—I said before the Magistrate, "Except when she went to Manor Park, she slept with me in the same bed every night"—I omitted saying anything about the illuminations on the Jubilee night; I forgot them; I did not think of the Jubilee night.

EMMA TOMPKINS . I live with my husband at Averley Hall, near Romford, Essex—from a communication I had from my daughter, Miss Cass came to me to do some work at my house, first on May 3rd—my house is a mile and a half from Purfleet Station—she was met on the first occasion, and she remained with me till May 5th, and slept in the house, and had her meals—she left on 5th May, at 5 p.m., and was taken in a vehicle to the station—she next came on May 16th; she walked from the station on that occasion, and she remained till the 19th, under the same circumstances as before, and left about the same time by the train to town—the next date was May 23rd, under the same conditions, leaving on the 25th, at the same time—that was the last time she was there, and while she was there she was practically under my observation.

Cross-examined. She came to East Ham; the train takes about 40 minutes from there to Liverpool Street—she did not sometimes leave at 4 p.m.—our groom took her to the station—I know nothing about how often she left my house—the train she went to meet went at a few minutes after 5; it would take the groom about 20 minutes to come back—I remember his coming back on those occasions, but cannot say at what time—Purfleet is our station; we are nine miles from Romford.

SUSANNAH ROBERTSON . I am a widow, and for 30 years have kept Nos. 41 and 42, Trinity Square, Borough, as a boarding house—I knew Mrs. Tompkins senior when she was a child—about the end of April she called on me with Miss Cass; we had some tea and they stayed about two hours, and left together—in consequence of what happened that evening I engaged Miss Cass to come to work for me as a dressmaker, and she came three or four days afterwards at the beginning of May; I was going; away on the Saturday—Mrs. Tompkins junior accompanied her the first time she came; she stayed three or four days; she had her meals with me and slept in the same room as I did—she went out one evening for half-an-hour while with me; she wanted something at a shop and I told her where to go—she was fetched by Mrs. Tompkins—she came again on

Saturday, 28th May, that was the Saturday before Whitsuntide, and stayed till the next Saturday—she came alone in the morning, and slept and had her meals the same as the first time—it was Saturday when Mrs. Tompkins and her mother came; they went to see the Queen when she went to open the Palace—they all three went out together and came home together; that was the only time she went out—she also went during the second visit to see Madame Bowman about an advertisement that was about 1 o'clock, after dinner, I think—she was working a god part of the morning—she returned between 8 and 9 in the evening—I know she was home to supper, which would be 9.30 or 9.45—it was not quite dark when she came back—no one accompanied her on the last occasion when she went away; yes, I think Mrs. Tompkins came for he; I am not quite sure.

Cross-examined. I have seen Mrs. Tompkins about this matter several times—I told the solicitor they called at our house Mr. Bartram—I remember there being an inquiry, but I do not know whether that was after the inquiry—Mrs. Tompkins gave evidence at the inquiry and told me afterwards that my name had not been mentioned—it was not known then that Miss Case had been at my place; she thought it was not necessary; she said she thought it would not do much good to me, as we knew nothing about her; she came and told me that just after she had given evidence; she told me that she said Miss Cass had not left her at all, and had not been at my place; and, of course, if she had never left Manor Park she could not have been in Regent Street—Mrs. Tompkins and her mother came to see me when Miss Cass was with me, and the three of us went out together, and my grandson made four; we went to Leadenhall Street to see the Queen open the Palace—that was before Miss Cass came to me the first time, before April—she said she took her to show her that part of the town where the best shops are, and I think they went to Regent Street and other places, they told me they had been looking at the shops in Regent Street, and it was after that she was to come and spend a few days with me—I think it was from Tuesday till Saturday; it might have been a day more or less—she came to London to look for a situation, and came to my place, as she thought she would earn something to fill up the time—she was not with me as a lodger—I don't mean to say that from morning to night she did not go out—I said that she must be very tired, but she did not want to go out—we are busy all day, and we sit down and read in the evening, and she was sewing—I do not remember saying before, that she never went out of the house at all, because I never thought we should have any trouble—the second time she came to stay a week—she did not know tie way to Madame Bowman's, she had a trouble to find it; she said she lost her way in Tottenham Court Road—she went to see a gentleman whom she knew there, Mr. Settle, she took the wrong turning in Tottenham Court Road—she said that she knew a young gentleman at Shoolbred's and waited to see him—I don't know that she said she waited two hours and a half—she had not been to Madame Bowman's when she lost her way—I am not thinking of some other situation which she went for—she lost her way in coming back from Madame Bowman's, she took the wrong turning, and she asked a policeman the way, and he told her the right way to go, and I think she went to Shoolbred's—I do not think it could have been so late as 9.30 when she got home; she told me she had to wait fur Madame Bowman before she could see her and then she

stopped to see the young man—she did not go out after tea on that visit or sit to work later on, she never went out in the evening only for three-quarters of an hour once when she wanted to buy clean frilling for her neck—it was not more than three-quarters of an hour I am certain—Mrs. Tompkins told me my name had been kept out of it and she did got think I should be called; she did not see the use of bringing my name into it.

Re-examined. I was not particularly anxious to figure in the Cass case—I gave my evidence before Mr. Vaughan—a person cannot get from Trinity Square to Regent Street and back in three-quarters of an hour.

Tuesday, November 1st.

ELIZABETH ANN TOMPKINS . I am the wife of John Godfrey Tompkins, and at the time this happened lived at Durham Road, Manor Park, Forest Gate—my husband used to be in business as a draper at Stockton, and I resided there with him—Elizabeth Cass was in our employment there a little over two years—on 27th April this year she came to our house at Forest Gate, at my invitation—it had been arranged that she was to come on the Wednesday—she did so—I met her at King's Cross Station at eight in the evening—I took her to my house—while she was with me she went several times to my mother-in-law at Purfleet, and twice to Mrs. Robertson's—on the Thursday morning after she came to me, the 26th, I went into the City with her—we went to St. Paul's Church-yard; we did not go to the West End at all—on Saturday, the 30th, I went with her to the West End—we went to Liverpool Street and took the omnibus to Oxford Circus; we got there about three I should think—we did not go into any shop—we went down Regent Street; not towards Portland Place—we took the omnibus from Piccadilly Circus to the Elephant and Castle and went on to Mrs. Robertson's—when Miss Cass went to pay the second visit to Mrs. Robertson she left me in the morning—I did not go with her—I know Mr. Settle of Stockton, he was Coroner there—I knew that his son was at Shoolbred's.

Cross-examined. She got to my place on Wednesday evening, and I took her to the City the following morning—I did not take her to show her Regent Street or the West End the following day; I did on the Saturday, to show her the shops—I talked to her on the way—the omnibus runs direct from the bottom of Tottenham Court Road to the Circus—it was the first time she had been there—I don't know that I told her what the places were; I told her I was taking her to Regent Street—I showed her the different shops there—we walked down Regent Street; I did not show her Jay's, we did not go on that side—I did not take her into any shop in Regent Street, we walked straight down the street, I don't know how long that takes, we stopped to look at the shops as we went along; I suppose she took great interest in what I showed her, not having been there before—we naturally stopped at Madame Louise's bonnet shop; I can't say that we stopped at every bonnet shop—we did not have lunch—on one occasion we went to see the Queen opening the People's Palace, on a Saturday—I took her to Mrs. Robertson's and introduced her on the Saturday—I could not be certain whether I took her there on one of the other occasions that she went there afterwards—she went there to work, and she could while there look after a situation if she wished—she could not go out when she pleased, she went there to work; if she saw an advertisement naturally she could answer it—I remember the inquiry with reference to this matter, I was there as a

witness—I was then alive to the importance of proving that Miss Cass never could have been in Regent Street from the time she came to London until she went into Mrs. Bowman's service—that was the purpose for which I attended, and for no other purpose—I knew she had been away from me on different occasions, but I knew where she was—I did not think it necessary to mention at that time that she had been away from my house, I did not mention it—I did not mention the fact that she had been to Mrs. Robertson?—I did not wish to bring my friends in unnecessarily; that was the only reason—I knew where she was—I did not give my account on oath.

EDGAR WALTER . I am a draper's assistant at Norman, Redding, and Co's, Old Compton Street, Soho—on the night of 28th June last we closed at 8.30—I had occasion to go to Davies Street, Oxford Street, to get a parcel of boots—I got the parcel, and returned by way of Oxford Street—I walked on the left-hand side going east, that would be the north side—after crossing the Circus and getting into Oxford Street, and getting past the Crystal Palace Bazaar, the constable Endacottcame hurriedly along and arrested Miss Cass—I had seen her from the Circus, a distance of 30 or 40 yards quite—from the time I first noticed her up to the time of seeing her arrested I had not seen her do anything as regards gentlemen—she was alone—I did not see any other woman accompanying her—I did not see her speak to anybody; I am sure of that—at the moment of her arrest I did not see anybody run or slip away from her—I know this part of Oxford Street perfectly well—the spot where she was arrested would be about from 10 to 15 yards past the Crystal Palace Bazaar, and about the second window of Peter Robinson's in Oxford Street—after her arrest I followed for a distance—Endacott went up the left-hand side of Great Portland Street, and I took the right—I did not see any man address Endacott, either before or at the time of the arrest; no one spoke to him.

Cross-examined. I did not hear a word spoken by Endacott to Miss Cass—I could have touched her with my right or left hand before she was arrested—she was very little farther than that from me when she was arrested—I was a little to the left of the constable—I did not hear a word addressed to her, either by Endacott or a constable in uniform—there was no great crowd at the corner; the street was not unusually full; there were a great number of people about—I did not see any illuminations in Oxford Street—I do not know whether there were any at the Mansion House or Bank of England—I did not see people hastening to get on the top of the omnibuses to go to the City; nothing of that kind occurred—I did not see Miss Cass, with difficulty, getting through a thick crowd—I live at my place of business, 51, Old Compton Street; it is not more than five minutes' walk from Oxford Street—Davies Street is south of Oxford Street—I might have gone across Regent Street to Old Compton Street—I was not in Regent Street that night—I called on Mrs. Bowman on Friday night, the 22nd; she was out, and she called on me on Saturday morning—that was a month after the occurrence, the Friday previous to the inquiry at Scotland Yard on the following Monday; that was the first time I made any official statement of what I am now speaking of—I followed Endacott and Miss Cass up Great Portland Street—I did not go any farther than Goodge Street; I did not go to the police-station—I did not speak to Endacott.

Re-examined. I had seen the newspapers before calling on Mrs.

Bowman—I read her address in the Pall Mall Gazette the next day—I had not known her before—I heard of the discussion about the case in Parliament—I always read the papers every day.

By the JURY. I went out of my way when I followed Endacott and Miss Cass—I was induced to do so because I had not seen the young lady do anything wrong.

BENJAMIN MORGAN (Police Sergeant). I was on duty in plain clothes at Tottenham Court Road Police-station, when Endacott brought in Miss Cass on the evening of the 28th—I was engaged reading at the time; I heard some commotion behind, and looking round I saw the prosecutrix on the floor, with her head on the mat as though she had fallen down—Endacott was standing close by, and Hindmarsh, another constable, 374—she was assisted up by the constable, and she was allowed to sit on a form near the table—I saw some water brought; I was close by her at the time; it was brought in a tin and put on the table; I can't say whether she drank any or not—it was put on the table close by; offered to her—I did not hear her say anything—I directed one of the constables to fetch her some water—I heard her ask Endacott to let some one know; I did not catch the name—she appeared to be partially insensible—this was before Sergeant Coomber came in—when he came in she was put in the dock—Coomber said to Endacott "What is this?" meaning what is the nature of the charge—Endacott said, "Disorderly prostitute annoying male passengers in Regent Street," or words to that effect—Coomber said, "Do you know her?"—Eudacott said, "Yes, T have seen her there before"—I think he said he had seen her accosting before, but I am not clear as to that—he said he had seen her that evening take hold of two or three gentlemen and accost them—he said something about another woman, but I did not catch clearly what it was—Coomber then said to her "You hear what the constable has said"—she made no reply—he asked her name and address, and she gave it him—I left the office just at that time; I did not see her taken to the cell—I have not known the man Simmonds as a police-constable—I never saw him till yesterday.

Cross-examined. I was on duty at this time, but not strictly engaged at the station—I remember some things that passed; I won't swear positively to all—I remember clearly, when Coomber said "what is this?" that Endacott said "Disorderly prostitute annoying male passengers in Regent Street"—I don't remember hearing him say "Soliciting"—to the best of my belief he said "Disorderly prostitute annoying male passengers in Regent Street;" I won't swear positively—I did not hear any place mentioned but Regent Street—I could hear what he said quite well—I heard Miss Cass give her name and address—when Coomber said "You hear what the constable says," I don't remember that he asked for any reply—it is the ordinary practice to ask persons their name, address, and occupation, and what they say is put down—they describe themselves as they please—I did not hear Miss Cass make any reply as to that; before she made any, if she did make any, I left the station—I was not struck by anything peculiar about her demeanour—I have seen persons faint at the station; not very of ten—she was not dressed particularly—a person charged is always given an opportunity of making a reply.

WILLIAM COOMBER (Police Sergeant D 52). I was acting as inspector on duty on the evening of 28th June at Tottenham Court Road Station—I remember Miss Cass being brought in—I was not present when she was

brought into the charge room—I came into the office after sending of the men on duty in the yard; I found Miss Cass in the dock; Endacott was in the charge room—I said to him "What is this?" meaning the charge—he said "Soliciting"—I then asked him what he had peen her do—he said "I saw her stop three gentlemen in Regent Street," and he apprehended her when she stopped the third—I said to her "You hear what the constable says, what have you to say?"—she made no reply—I asked her her name, she said "Cass"—I asked her how it was spelt; she told me—I then asked her Christian name; she said "Elizabeth;" and where she lived—she said "19, Southampton Row"—I then filled in the charge sheet, and then said to her "What do you do for a living?"—she made no reply—I said "I mean what is your occupation?"—she made no reply to that—I then read the charge over to her; she made no reply then—I was not told by anyone in Endacott's presence what her occupation was—that was all that passed in the charge room—she was taken from the dock down the cell passage by the gaoler; they were in front, I followed behind—she said "Can I have bail, sir?"—I said "Yes, certainly"—she then burst into tears and said "I am not the sort of girl the constable represents me to be, and if you send to Madame Bowman she will tell you what I say is true"—I asked who Madame Bowman was—she said "My employer, where I live"—I then sent Endacott to Madame Bowman, and she arrived and offered bail.

By the JURY. When I asked Miss Cass what she had to say she said nothing; she did not express any indignation till on her way to the cell; I don't think she was in a state of insensibility, she was sullen, looking at her toes all the while, that was my impression, not that she had been drinking, there was not the slightest idea of it; I was not aware that she had fainted.

WILLIAM HIND MARSH (Examined by MR. BESLEY). About 10 on the night of 28th June I was at Tottenham Court Road Police-station; I am gaoler there—I gave the can of water to Miss Cass; she said "No, thank you, I don't want water, when I want water I will ask for it"—I also heard her say before Coomber came in "That policeman has made a mistake this time, I have only been up this way twice"—I am quite sure she said that—she did not take the can of water out of my hand, I put it on the table before her.

GEORGE DRAPER . I am superintendent of B Division of Police; I have known Endacott as a constable in that division—on 28th June he was patrolling Regent Street between All Souls' Church and the Circus and past the short streets adjacent to the Circus—he would not have to cross the road in Regent Street at all—I can't tell you bow long before the 28th that had been his beat—his period would be eight hours in the 24—I cannot tell you from when to when on that day—I did not send him on duty, Inspector Wyborn did it—it varied on different days.

Cross-examined. On this night there was a considerable amount of traffic going towards the city on account of the illuminations and the ball at the Mansion House—Endacott has been in the police about a dozen years, and under me for about two years—I found him a diligent, trustworthy officer.

By the JURY. He has been on this special duty off and on, I cannot tell exactly how long, but for some months—the chief reason why he was appointed

was to bring in prostitutes—I cannot tell how many a week he would bring in, I know lie arrested a number of women. This being the case for the prosecution, MR. JUSTICE STEPHEN, after hearing the SOLICITOR-GENERAL upon the point of corroboration, expressed his opinion that only upon one assignment was there sufficient evidence of corroboration of the prosecutrix for the Jury to consider, and under those circumstances the prosecution would probably consider whether it was advisable to proceed. The SOLICITORGENERAL, after some consultation, stated that, the matter being limited to the one assignment, he could not expect a verdict solely upon that. MR. JUSTICE STEPHEN concurring, the Jury returned a verdict of


View as XML