23rd June 1884
Reference Numbert18840623-754
VerdictNot Guilty > unknown

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

754. WILLIAM SIMPSON. (21) and WILLIAM LEIGHTON. (27) , Robbery with violence on Edmond Weever, and stealing a purse and 12s., his property.

MR. SCALES Prosecuted.

EDMOND WEEVER . I live at 17, Barnes Terrace, Deptford, and am an iron plate worker—on 13th June, between 9.30 and 10,1 was in a public-house in New Cross Road, the prisoners came in and we began talking, and Simpson said "You don't belong to about this part"—I said "No, I come from Wolverhampton"—we drank together, I paid; we then went to another public-house, where we drank, and I paid; we stopped till turning out time, 12.30; then they took me down a little street, and turned up another street, which led into a yard or stable—I wanted to get out, Simpson knocked me on my mouth, knocked me down and kicked me on my forehead, and as I was trying to get up he kicked me in my eye and made the blood spurt out and turned it black—before he kicked me I said "Let me get up"—Simpson said "Now then," and they both fell on me and held me down while Leighton took the money out of my pocket—there was about 12s. in the purse and some coppers, it might be 6d., in the other pocket—I struggled while on the ground, but they held me, I could not struggle much; after they got my money, they gave me a kick and ran away—I lay on the ground I don't know how long, and then went down the yard into the street—while trying to find my road home I met a policeman; I spoke to him; he took me to the bottom of the street, where we met another policeman, 361, and they took me to Simpson's brother's house—they brought him outside, and asked me if he was one of them—I said "No"—they then took me to the prisoner Simpson's, and I recognised him as the man—I charged him—when they were going to take him he said "Don't have me took, I will give you 10s. now, and I have a job to go to in the morning, and if you go I will give you a share of the money'—I never had seen the men before, and was never in either of the public-houses before—I could not get out at the end of the street they led me into—I was in their company altogether about two and a half hours—I was sober when I met them—when I left them I was not drunk nor sober, I knew what I was doing—I am quite sure the prisoners are the men.

Cross-examined by Simpson. I did not leave the bar with two females leaving you and your friend in the house—I did not drink soda water or lemonade that you called for.

Cross-examined by Leighton. I saw you both first at 10 o'clock in the Royal Albert.

ALFRED MARSDEN (Policeman R 41). On 14th June, about 2.30 a.m., I was in Creek Road, Deptford; the prosecutor made a complaint to me and gave me a description of two men—I went with Ashford and apprehended Leighton; Ashford took Simpson at 44, Bayland Street, Deptford—the prosecutor identified them; they were charged—Leighton said outside his house "Don't charge me, I will give you 10s., I have got a job to go to in the morning, you can have a share of it if you

like; I will pay for a doctor if you like; don't press the charge against me"—the prosecutor identified Leighton also—I found 1s. and a knife on him—the prisoner and prosecutor were sober—Weever had wounds on his eye, ear, and mouth, where he had been kicked—he was bleeding from his mouth and eye when he came to me.

WILLIAM ASHFORD (Policeman R 361). On 14th June I went with Marsden and Weever to 88, Church Street, and called Simpson out—Weeyer shook his head; we then went to 44, Bayland Street; I knocked at the door, went into the room, and there saw the two prisoners; I brought out Simpson first; Weever immediately identified him—I handed him over to Marsden; I went back and fetched out Leighton and the prosecutor identified him also—I searched him; no money was found on him—Weever was bleeding very much from his face and head.

Cross-examined by Simpson. I did not hear Weever tell the inspector at Deptford that he had left the last beer-house with two females—I was present when the charge was taken; nothing was said about women.

ANNIE FOSTER . I am barmaid at the Royal Albert public-house, New Cross Road—on 13th June I saw Simpson there between 10.30 and 11.30; I do not recognise Leighton—Weever was there—I did not see them come in; drink and tobacco were called for, and Weever paid—he was not sober and not very drunk—I did not see him go out—I had never seen any of them before.

Cross-examined by Simpson. There were not two girls in Weever's company—my master did not refuse to serve any more drink because there was a disturbance.

Witnesses for Simpson.

ELEANOR BRANDON . I live at 44, Bayland Street, Deptford—looked in the public-house with Mary Garrett; Weever, whom I had never seen before, called Mary Garrett in and asked her to drink—I went in with her—we went out; Weever followed us in a lonely place; he put his hand on Mary Garrett's shoulder and tried to use her roughly; she poshed him, and as he fell he caught my leg and tried to throw me over; I kicked him in the face; we left him there and ran down Church Street, and when we got in Simpson and Leighton had been in several minutes I believe.

MARY GARRETT . I looked in the Crown and saw the prisoners and Weever—Weever called me in; I had a drink, he paid for another pot—when we went out he followed us—we went round the corner by the perambulator shop, and he offered us a shilling—we told him if he walked a little farther up he might find girls who would like his shilling more than we would; he tried to take hold of my shoulder; I pushed him down, he rolled over on his side, and my friend kicked him.

Cross-examined. I live at 44, Bayland Road, and go hawking flowers or anything in season—I was sober.

Cross-examined by Leighton. Weever could hardly stand for drink.

Simpson in his defence stated that he and Leighton were drinking with the prosecutor, and that he was so drunk they gave him soda-waier; that the protecutor afterwards left with the females, and he and Leighton went home but did not go to bed, as they had to go early to work next morning, and after they had been in a little time the women came in out of breath.

Leighton in his defence said that he left the public-house with Simpson, who said that as it was so late and he might be locked out, he had better go home with him; that he did so, and they sat up, having to go early to work, awl that at the station the prosecutor had said there were two women in his company at the public-house, and he did not know if they had his money.


View as XML