31st July 1882
Reference Numbert18820731-790
VerdictGuilty > unknown
SentenceImprisonment > penal servitude

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

790. THOMAS WALSH (38) was indicted for feloniously compassing to deprive and depose the Queen from the style of the Imperial Grown of the United Kingdom. Second Count, for conspiring, with others, to levy war against the Queen, in order by force to change her measures and councils. The ATTORNEY-GENERAL, the SOLICITOR-GENERAL, with MESSRS. POLAND and CHALMERS, Prosecuted; MR. BIRON and Mr. HORACE AVORY Defended.

WILLIAM GEORGE SCHOUF . I live at 99, St John Street Road, Clerken-well—at the beginning of last year I had a stable to let at the back of those premises—it was detached from the house, and there wag a separate entrance to it from Rydon Crescent—a notice was put up that it was to let—the prisoner called upon me at 99, and asked the rent of the stable—I told him 10s. a week—he first called about-the beginning of the year or the end of last year, and again about a month after—he gave me no name and address the first time—he took the stables at 2l. a month from the 6th February last—he said he wanted it to store Birmingham dry Jacquer goods, or something, to that effect—that he was going to ship them to India, and wanted to store them till the ship was ready, and to store crates and packing-cases—he gave the name of Sadgrove, of (I think) 37, Charles Street, Birmingham—he said he had had stables at Cross-Street, Islington, but found they were not safe there, he had lost a parcel—I let him the stable at 2l. a month—he paid me 5s. deposit, and later on 35s., to make up the 2l.—he told me he would pay in advance—I gave him the key, and he returned it to me for safety after the deposit of the first load of boxes and crates—I saw him a week or a fortnight afterwards, when he cape with a fresh load of something heavy, and after that he kept the key—he put a padlock on, he told me he would, taking it from his former place—I saw him about two months after, when he paid me the rent up. to April 6—1 wrote him a letter to the address he gave me at Charles Street, Birmingham—it came back through the Dead Letter Office in May—Ough, a police

constable, was lodging in my house—from something that occurred, I asked him to examine the stable—he got a ladder, and opened the window to see what was in the stable—he told me what he had seen, and the police ten communicated with.

Cross-examined. It was on the second occasion he came that he com. plained of having lost a small parcel—I did say "Well, you will find my place safe enough, for I have got a policeman living in my house, and he will be able to keep an eye on your things"—upon that he took the stables. and appeared glad that there would be somebody to look after his things and keep them secure—the crates and the goods were there till June 16—I only saw Walsh there—two months' rent was in arrear in June—it was solely through the rent not being paid that I had the stable examined—I wrote to Birmingham, because the painter wanted to paint the edges of the stable doors.

Re-examined. I only saw him on two occasions; he may have beet there other times; he had free access night and day—the entrance to the stable is in Rydon Crescent, round the corner; it is a corner house—there is no entrance to the stable through the house.

By the COURT. The first load that came seemed to be empty boxes and crates—the second load seemed to be heavy—I saw no other loads.

ALFRED OUGH (Policeman G 261). I lodged at Mr. Schouf's—in con-sequence of what he said to me on Thursday, 15th June, I went into the stable in Rydon Crescent—I saw over 20 cases and barrels there—I opened two cases; I found some rifles and cartridges—I reported what I had seen to Mr. Schouf—information was given to the police—on Saturday, 17th June, I saw the prisoner about 10 p. m. at 99, St. John Street Road—he had been drinking—I asked him if his name was Sadgrove—he said "Yes"—I asked him if he was the man that rented the stables—he said "Yes"—I sent for a policeman, and the prisoner was taken into custody—the goods in the stable were taken possession of by the police—I saw the prisoner searched, and a key found on him which would open the padlock.

Cross-examined. The prisoner was not so drunk but he could walk; be spoke plainly enough—I did not see any newspaper in his hand—he did not say, "I have come to see what the bother is about my things here"—he did not say anything about it—I took him to the station with another constable—I brought no beer to him; I think two pints were brought to him; I could not say who brought it—they were all policemen in plain clothes.

CHARLES HUNT (Police Inspector G). On 17th June I was at the King's Cross Police-station about 10. 15 p. m.—the prisoner was brought there—I asked him to give his name and address—he gave the name of Thomas Southan, of 37, Charles Street, Birmingham—I searched him; I handed the contents to Inspector Peel in his presence; there was no newspaper.

Cross-examined. This was on Saturday; I saw no newspaper account of it on the Friday—Ough brought him in—Ough did not tell me he had given him the name of Sadgrove—he told me the prisoner was the man of 99, St. John Street Road, and that the stable belonged to him—the prisoner was excited; he asked me and I allowed him to have a pint of beer; he did not have another to my knowledge, or with my sanction.

WILLIAM PEEL (Police Inspector G). On Friday night, 16th June, I entered this stable with another constable by the back window, the door

being padlocked—I examined and took possession of the property—there were a number of cases, altogether 277 rifles like this (produced)—210 of them had the stock cut through at the second band like this one, so that when put together the middle band would bind the barrel to the stock—the stocks were not cut of 67—there were 276 bayonets and a large number of ball cartridges for rifles—some rifles were packed in cases, and some in crates—some were marked with a shamrock—they were ordinary military, and not sword-bayonets—the rifles are complete when they are put together—some of the stocks have the word "Tower" and a crown, and some the dates of the year—1,690 cartridges were packed with the rifles—the bore of the rifle is 5. 77, and the cartridges are for that bore—I took possession of 7,000 odd cartridges, and sent them to the Home Office Magazine at Plumstead Marshes—I also found 26 large 4. 50 revolvers, of which this produced is a specimen; 10 of the stocks of those were stamped with a shamrock and with G1, G2, and so on up to G10; three were marked D6, D7, and D8—ball cartridges for the pistols were also found—I also found the stamp of the shamrock in the stable, and stamps for the letters A to G, and dies for figures up to 10, and stencil plates for marking crates, four pistols one size smaller, and some small cartridges, some nails, spanners, a file, a hammer, and a saw, but no lacquered or general goods—I found some blank way-bills for four or five railways, the Great Northern, the Midland, and the Great Western—on the Saturday night I was at the King's Cross Police-station, when the prisoner was in custody—I saw him about 10. 15—I said, "Mr. Walsh, I am a police inspector; I have made a seizure of rifles and revolvers and a large quantity of ammunition at your stables, 99, St. John Strett Road"—he replied, "I do not deny that I took the place, and it is mine"—I said, "We will have to detain you unless you account for the possession of the property in a satisfactory manner"—he replied, "There are others besides me"—I said, "Have you any invoices for the goods?"—he replied "No"—I said, "Have you a licence to deal in firearms?"—he said "No"—I said, "Can you show me any papers or give me any reference that will lead me to believe you are engaged in an honest transaction with the property?"—he replied "No "—I made my note the same day, after the prisoner was charged; I used it at the police-court—I said, "Can you give me the names of the others you allude to?"—he said, "No"—I said "Some of the rifles have the Government mark on them"—he replied, "I did not know that"—I then showed him a rifle that had a crown, the word "Tower," and the date 1881—he said, "I did not know there was anything wrong with them, or I would not have had them"—Inspector Hunt searched him—five keys were found, one belonging to the padlock of the stable; one fitted the ware-house, No. 1, Nisbett Place, Homerton—I next saw him on Monday morning, the 18th—I said, "Have you any objection to my visiting your house?" that was to see what was there—he replied "No"—the address he gave me was 12, Charles Street, Hatton Garden—I said, "Are there any revolvers or ammunition there?"—he replied "No"—I went and searched his place on the first-floor—there is a shop underneath—I found a six-chambered revolver, a box of percussion caps, 100 small pistol cartridges, and 400 large ball cartridges like those found at the stable, also his business card, "James Walsh, practical carpet planner, No. 12, tharles Street, Hatton Garden, E. C. "—I found no books relating to the

rifle trade or the lacquer trade—he was living in this one room with his wife and children.

Cross-examined. He only had the one room—I suppose the rent of it would be about 6s. or 7s. a week—I have ascertained that he is a carpet-planner by trade, and that he has been in London over 15 years working for some of the best houses in the furnishing trade, Maple's and others—I head that he was in respectable employment.

JOSEPH WAKEFIELD (Police Sergeant G). On 17th June I went with Inspector Peel to the stable, and assisted in taking possession of some of the arms; there were five barrels and four cases of ammunition—I con-veyed them to the Government stores at Plumstead Marshes, and handed them to Inspector Cavell.

RICHARD ALLUM (Police Sergeant G). On 17th June I was at King's Cross Police-station—I saw some crates and cases brought there containing rifles and cartridges—I opened them with assistance—the rifles and cartridge were together in the cases—there were 1,700 rounds of ball cartridge altogether in the 25 cases—I handed them over to Inspector Peel, and M26th June I took them to Woolwich, and handed them to Inspector Cavell GEORGE CAVELL. I am an inspector at the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich-Wakefield brought to me five barrels and four cases containing ball cart-ridges—I put them in the Government magazine, and have had charge of them ever since.

THOMAS EDWIN HINDES . I am superintendent at the Woolwich Dock-yard—on 19th June I went with Colonel Majendie to the Home Office Magazine at Plumstead—I there found five barrels and four cases lined with tin—they were pointed out to me by some of the previous witnesses as having been seized at 99, St John Street Road—there were 400 saloon cat-ridges; they are very small, No. 7,929, all of the same bore, 5. 77 (produced and fitted to one of the rifles).

ADAM S. MATHER , I am the owner of this house in Charles Street, Hatton Garden—I let a room to the prisoner at 6s. 6d. a week, and he took possession the first week in August, 1881; he gave his correct name, Walsh—I got his card some months after as a carpet-fitter—I never heard of his having anything to do with guns and revolvers.

Cross-examined. He was 3s. 6d. in arrear when he was arrested—he to a wife and I think three children.

THOMAS LUNDY . I am coachman to Mr. Desvigne, who is dangerously ill—he manages some property called No. 1 workshop, Royal Victoria Place, Old Ford—in April, 1881, the prisoner took some stables close to the workshop in the name of Walsh—he told me that Mr. Desvigne sent him to me for the key—I unlocked the door, and he had the key from me—herequired the premises to be made secure, and a bar and a bracket were pot up—he told me the premises were for Japan goods and hardware and musical albums—he had possession of the stables about four months—I have seen crates and cases come from it—the cases came in a rough state—I have seen them go away about three times in Mr. Johnson's vans—that is the carman (Lovclock)—four or rive cases went in at one time, and the next time there might be three—I know nothing of the contents, but I once saw a musical box playing.

Cross-examined. I saw the prisoner there three days a week, perhaps four—I have seen two men come there, well-dressed and of gentlemanly

appearance, one middle-aged and the other younger—the younger one cam twice or three times, and the elder four or five times; they were frequently backwards and forwards—the cases were taken away in broad daylight.

EDWARD PINNING . I live at 22, St. James Street, Old Street—in August last I let the prisoner a workshop in Featherstone Street, Earl's Buildings, at 5s. a week—he said he wanted it for lacquering—he brought the rent to my house—he remained in possession till February this year, when he left without notice, and gave the key to another party in the building.

JOSIAH WILLIAM ANDERSON . I am a builder of 137, High Street, Homerton, and manager to Mr. Chapman—the prisoner called on me about the end of October; he referred to an advertisement about a warehouse at 1, Nisbet Place—he asked the rent; I told him. 35l. a year—he gave his name Mr. Hayest, and suggested an alteration in the stairs to make it easier for anybody to go up and down—he called again and arranged to take the place, and appointed a day to call and sign the agreement, which he did—I attested it, and he signed it "J. E. Hayest" in my presence—this is it (produced, dated 14th November, 1881)—I think he had possession before. it was signed—he paid a half quarter in advance up to Christmas, and had a padlock key given to him—he requested me to put some iron bars to the windows to make the place more safe, and he thought the windows would be better whitened so that no one could see in, which I had done—he said that he did the lacquering by a patent process, but he did not take the patent out—I saw him at the premises sometimes daily, and then there would be a week or a fortnight's interval—I have seen him come there with goods with a van, and have seen Lovelock with a van—a young man used to come there at the latter portion of the time, who I thought was his brother—the vans contained cases, which were put into the warehouse, and I have seen cases put into the tan and driven away, and the prisoner generally went with it—he has never formally given up possession; I did not know that he had left—after Christmas he paid the next quarter in advance—we have not resumed possession yet; we did not know where he had gone—I remember his being absent for a little time; I understood that he was going to Paris on business a day or two before the taster holidays—I remember his saying that he had received a good order, sufficient to last him a few weeks—I have been just inside the door, but only saw a number of packing-cases.

Cross-examined. He asked if I should like to go to Paris with him—the young man who came was a labouring man; he was not dressed as a gentleman—I saw a gentleman there several times, between,30 and 40 years of age, a man in a far superior station in life to the prisoner as regards appearance—he frequently appeared shortly before freights went away in the vans, but I cannot say always.

Re-examined. I saw the gentleman. eight or nine times—cases would go away daily for two or three weeks, and then there would be an in-terval—I should say I have seen cases go away at least thirty times, and six or seven cases at a time—the cases were about 3 feet 6 inches long, 18 inches wide and 2 feet deep—I supplied him five or six times with sufficient shavings to pack a considerable number of cases.

RICHARD GOEDECKE . I am book-keeper to C. Goedecke and Co., importer of foreign goods, Jewin Crescent, Aldersgate Street—we have

dealt with the prisoner as Walsh from November, 1876, to 9th August 1880, and I produce an account of his dealings—these were for guns. revolvers, cartridges, scissors and knives—there were Snider rifles and constabulary pistols, and bull-dogs, which are another kind of pistol knuckle-dusters, a dagger, two musical albums, 2,000 central-fire-cart ridges in December, 1879, and 2,000 more in February, 1880, and other cartridges in the same year. (The total value came to 260l.)—the rifles were not cut then, but I have seen him cutting them with a saw—he took them away in large cases at the beginning of our dealings—as a rule the rifles had long bayonets with them, but I did not see all—hemay have bought a few short Sniders—there were 189 Sniders at first; most of them had bayonets.

JAMES BARING . I am manager to Messrs. Goedecke—I have known the prisoner as a customer by the name of Thomas Walsh—in Feb-ruary, 1880, he had 60 long Sniders, and I saw him cutting a few of them while I stopped and put them into the shorter cases—I was asto-nished, and he told me it was to make smaller cases and save duty in sending them to France—he said that he was selling two or three of the revolvers, and they were used to protect people from robbers in the suburbs of London.

HENRY DEVEREUX . I am in the employ of the London and Brighton Railway—some years ago I was in Messrs. Goedecke's employ—I knot the prisoner as Thomas Walsh—he took away the first lot of goods. he had, and some of the following lots were packed on the premises—I assisted him in packing them—the cases came from Jones and Treson's, in Whitecross Street—10 rifles and bayonets were generally packed in a case, but sometimes only 5, and there was 20—Walsh brought A saw with him, and cut the stocks by the middle band—he did not tell me why—he wrote the directions there, but he nailed a piece of brown paper over the directions with tin tacks, and I never saw one of them, but I picked up a list of addresses and gave it back to him—I do not recollect the places which were on the list—when the cases were packed they were taken away in a van or carts, generally one or two at a time.

WM. WALTER MORTON . I am a gunmaker, of 8, Railway Approach, London Bridge—I know the prisoner as Thomas Walsh, of 12, Charles Street, Hatton Garden, but I did not know his address when he first dealt with me, not till six months ago—I have sold him Snider rifles and military arms from time to time-this is a copy extracted from my books of his dealings with me—the first was an ordinary fowling-piece in August, 1875; then three Warner carbines on 27th November, 1878, at 14s. each, 2l. 2s.; 18th December, 4 Warner carbines at 14s., and 8 more on 7th January, 1879; 16th April, 10 Snider rifles, with bayonets, at 16s. 6d. and a bull-dog revolver; 10th June, 1878, 29 short Sniders, with sword bayonets and in the same month 50 central-fire cartridges; 5th July, 1880, 10 Snider rifles, with bayonets, at 26s.; 9th July, 2 instructors; I cannot explain what they are as I should like, but they carry a smaller cartridge than is used with the gun; January, 1881, 12 Sniders, with sword bayonets, 80s.; 2nd January, 1882, 1,000 Snider cartridges., 5l., and 2,000 revolver cartridges, 4. 50 bore; 8th September, 2 instructors and 300 caps; 30th September, 600 cartridges, 4. 50 bore, and 1,500 Snider cartridges—Walsh purchased all those, and they were taken into

a cellar at No. 6, two or three doors lower down—they were always fetched—I once saw Walsh with a van when I went over the bridge with him—I did not see the carman—he always paid cash, except once—a tall, dark man, who appeared like a clergyman, came with him four or fire times; the prisoner did not tell me who the man was—-the man looked at the goods purchased—the prisoner did not tell me what he wanted the rifles, revolvers, and cartridges for, but he said that he was doing a Cape trade and dealing with yachts—yachts are armed, especially when they go to the Mediterranean—they were all new Enfield's—they were not converted—the stocks were perfect when I sold them.

Cross-examined. The rifles had the crown, and the Tower mark on them—it is usual for dealers to put that on; it is almost like a trade-mark—they were marked on the lock-plate with the number and the year they were made—the butts were not marked A1, B1, &c.—I should not put the Grown or Tower mark on a best Snider, I should simply put my name—dealers have private marks of their own.

Re-examined. Walsh gave me this I O U (produced)—it is his writing—I put the number of some of the cartridges in this account—this "1 m," on 9th July, stands for "1 mille," that is, 1,000. (The number of cartridges in the list cast up to 24,000)—I gave him a card to get cartridges from Eley, in addition to those I sold him—he is a cartridge manufacturer.

By MR. BIRON. In the last part of my account there is "1,000 Snider cartridges 94 D"—I charge 10s. 6d. per 100 retail—in the next page I charge only half, 5l. 10d. for 2,000, that is because I had a number "seized under the Explosives Act, and I was glad to get rid of some.

EDWARD NEALER . I have been six years shopman to Mr. Morton—I have known the prisoner four years as a customer, and up to six months ago buying rifles, pistols, and cartridges—I knew him as T. Walsh, but did not know his address—he always fetched the things away himself—they were carried into Mr. Fuller's cellar, and packed there by our boy, Izzard—I have seen a van with the name of Johnson on it.

FRANK IZZARD . I was formerly in Mr. Morton's service, I went in May, 1880, and left in December, 1881—I know the prisoner as a customer in the name of Thomas Walsh; I took rifles from the shop to Fuller's cellar, where they were packed in the prisoner's presence—the barrels were taken off the stocks, but they were not cut in my presence—I saw one which was cut in the shop, it came for repairs—about 20 were packed in one case, with bayonets complete, and the prisoner came there with a van and took them away—Lovelock is not the driver I have seen—I don't know where they were taken—I remember a young man with a dark moustache coming once with the prisoner, he took no part in the purchase, but on one occasion he took some cartridges away in a carpet bag and some on his shoulder in a parcel—I gold these instructors and 300 caps to him, he paid for them and took them away.

Cross-examined. I never saw an older man dressed as a clergyman come.

JOHN WILLIAM CROOK . I am the receiver appinted with respect to Mr. Newby's partnership—I was appointed in December, 1880, but I took charge in July, 1880—1 was aware that a large quantity of rifles were stored at Blenheim Works, Hoxton, and at Suffolk Street, Southwark—George Wenham would deliver goods if sales were effected—I sold 500 Snider rifles to McKenzie Brothers, on July 19th, 1880; 500 in January, 1881, and

500 on February 5th, and in June, 1881, 500 to Mr. Watson through Mr. Pinner—in January, 1881,1 sold some Snider cartridges to McKenzies, and in December, 1881, 10,000 cartridges were sold by Wenham—I made out the delivery orders at once; this (produced) is McKenzie's order to Purvis to deliver 500 Sniders—bayonets were attached to all the rifles, the price was 14s. 6d., including everything—they came to 1,450l.

JAMES CHRISTIE MCKENZIE . I am a merchant, of 82, Mark Lane, and trade as McKenzie Brothers—I occasionally deal in rifles, ammunition, and bayonets—I had a customer, who dealt in the name of J. R. Armstrong, Anderton's Hotel, Fleet Street—I first saw him about August, 1879—I dealt with him for long and short Sniders, with sword-bayonets for the short ones and triangular for the long ones—on 4th February, 1881, I sold him 500 long Snider rifles at 15s. 6d. making 357l. 10s.; he paid for them in cash mm notes, against the delivery order (produced)—it was signed J. Courtin, at Armstrong's request—on 28th January, 1881,1 sold to Armstrong 500 long Sniders at 15s. 6d. and gave him this delivery order for 300. (The second order for 200 was missing.) On 28th June, 1881, I sold him 500 rifles, for which he paid 362l. 10s.—I purchased them through Mr. Watson and made out the invoice to J. Courtin, at Armstrong's request—also sold Armstrong 200 rifles and 25,000 cartridges, on August 27th, 1879, and the invoice was made out in the name of Signor S. Diego—that was our first sale—Armstrong gave me the name of Diego and Co. on several occasions—Armstrong was about my height, full faced, with a gingery short stubbly beard and moustache and whiskers—he always paid me in cash; I never had any other address from him.

ALFRED BINGHAM . I am in Mr. Crook's employ—shortly before Christmas, 1881, I delivered 17 cases of rifles to the prisoner at the Blenheim Works each containing 20 rifles with bayonets—he came there with a delivery order and took them away in Johnson's van—Lovelock was the car-man—I had seen the prisoner on two or three occasions at the Blenheim Works and at Southwark Street, and knew him.

Cross-examined. I acted on the order quite disregarding who he was or what he was.

GEORGE WENHAM . I am foreman to Mr. Crook; I have known the prisoner about four years—I have seen him at Eagle Wharf Road, South-wark Street—in July, 1880, I was in Mr. Newby's employ and saw Walsh there, before Mr. Crook was appointed—I have known him take long Snider rifles with bayonets away from Mr. Newby's—in June, 1881, some rifles were lying at the Blenheim Works to Mr. Crook's orders, and the prisoner came two or three months afterwards with Johnson's van, and I delivered to him eight cases of rifles and bayonets, with 20 rifles in each—the stocks were not cut—17 other cases containing 20 each were delivered by Bingham next day—I would not say that it was after June—I also sold the prisoner 10,000 cartridges; the whole sum was 16l. 10s.—he gave me a 5l. Bank of England note as a deposit—on 7th February, 1881, he called at 106, Southwark Street, and produced a delivery order from McKenzie Brothers for 500 rifles with bayonets, and I delivered a number that day, this is his receipt (For 10 cases of 20 each for Mr. Crook; signed J. J. W, Feb. 7th.) He came again on the 19th, and received 15 more cases, making 500 rifles and bayonets—he signed the book in a way which I

cannot read—on 28th April he came again and received 25 cases containing 500 long Snider rifles and bayonets, to the order of McKenzie Brothers, and gave me this receipt. (Dated April 28th, and signed J. J. W. pro Diego and Co. or Disgo and Co.) Whatever the signature is the prisoner wrote it—he also had I think 10,000 cartridges to fit the rifles in December, 1881. EDWARD HENRY NEWBY. I traded as an Army contractor in 1881—I had a warehouse at Blenheim Works and another in the basement of 106, Southwark Street—at the dissolution of my partnership with Mr. Crook, in December, 1880, a receiver was appointed—my first transaction with the prisoner was 25th June, 1879, when I sold him 20 long Snider rifles and bayonets, price 17l., and he paid me in bank notes—he gave his address, 36, Percy Street, "West—the second transaction was on 16th April, 1880; two cases of long Sniders and bayonets at 16s., 32l., and on 2nd July, 20 long snidereand bayonets, 16l., and on 20th July, 20 more, making 120—the rest of the transactions took place with the receiver.'

Cross-examined. I did not see Armtsrong, and never had anything to do with him—I only saw the prisoner.

Re-examined. He got the goods from my place of business, Chatham Buildings, New Bridge Street.

JOHN SAMUEL MASON . I am a packing-case maker, of 72, Whitecross Street, City—I sold the prisoner in 1879 nine packing-cases; in 1880, 67; and in 1881, 40, of different sizes, some at Goedeck's, some at Morton's, and some to Johnson's Stables in Macclesfield Street, City Road, and some in Wilson Street, Finsbury—the prisoner paid for them in cash—they were intended for heavy weights—I afterwards saw three of those cases at Scotland Yard—they would hold 12 or 15 rifles.

WILLIAM FOSTER . I am a porter in the employ of Mr. Mason—I have delivered packing-cases to the prisoner in 1879, 1880, and 1881—I knew him by the name of Walsh—I don't know what they contained.

HENRY JOHNSON . I am a licensed carman, of Milk Street, Cheapside—in August, 1879, the prisoner hired a van—he afterwards gave the name of Walsh, but no address—he hired vans from time to time down to February, 1882—Lovelock was the carman who chiefly went with him—in February, 1880,1 let the prisoner a loft at 18, Wharf Road, Maccles-field Street, City Road, for a month or six weeks—I saw him there on one occasion; there were old guns there, and he was hammering them up—I believed he was in the fancy trade when I first knew him—his transactions with me were twice in 1879, 25 times in 1880, about 40 in 1381, and three in 1882—he always paid me himself in cash—the times were various.

Cross-examined. The loft was divided, and he had a key—I think I once saw another man with him.

HENRY LOVELOCK . I am a carman in Mr. Johnson's service—I know the prisoner by the name of Walsh—I have gone with him from time to time to various places with a van, among others to Mr. Goedeck's in Jewin Street—I fetched from there some heavy cases weighing about 21/2or 2 cwt,—I took them to different receiving offices for railways in London—I have also been five or six times to Mr. Morton's, at Railway Approach, London Bridge, and brought away cases from there and parcels—the prisoner went with me—I have also been to 106. Southwark Street with him, and taken cases to Old Ford, where they were put into

a workshop or stable—they were gun cases weighing heavy—I have also brought some away from that place and from Eagle Wharf, City Road with the prisoner—some of them I took to Old Ford, and some to Earl's Buildings, and I have brought things from Earl's Buildings and taken them to different railway booking offices in London—I have been with the prisoner to Nesbit Place, Homerton, seven or eight times, and taken similar cases there and brought them away, and taken them to different booking offices in the City—sometimes I took two cases, sometimes three sometimes a cask and a crate—I never noticed the address on the cases—I have taken cases to Macclesfield Street, and brought them away also—the prisoner was with me—he never told me what the cases contained or where he was sending them to—I knew he was living in Charles Street, Hatton Garden.

JACOB HOWE . I am employed at the Midland. Railway Booking-office in High Holborn—I have known the prisoner seven or eight years by the name of Watson—he was in the habit of bringing cases to the office-the first time was about seven years ago—the first one he brought, the second two we collected—I have my book here—the cases were about 4 feet long, with iron fastenings attached to them—they contained heavy goods—the one he brought on 4th May, 1879, was addressed to Anderson: Tupper Currie, from Watson, of Castle Street, Holborn—there was no consignment note; he had a receipt for it—that was forwarded in the usual way by our Company—there were others, one addressed to Kelly, of Tralee—on 9th December, 1879, I have an entry to Anderson, of Tupper Currie, from Watson, and on 18th February, 1880, another from the same to the same—on 7th August, 1880, he brought one addressed to Hamilton, Raphoe, in a van, weighing 1 cwt. 2 qrs. 20 lb.; that was forwarded on our line by St. Pancras—in consequence of a communication that was made to me I searched for Watson at Castle Street, Holborn, but could find no such person—before then I saw the prisoner and told him I wanted the consignee's full name and address—he said he was going farther, and would call and let me know—he did not do so—about four or five months afterwards he came to the office, and I told him that I had been asking for him, that I wanted the full name and address of the consignee—he said it was all right, and the subject dropped—he said the case contained rifles—that was the last case he brought—I knew him when he kept a shop in Bedford Street in the name of Watson—I never knew him by the name of Walsh.

Cross-examined. I went to the shop in Bedford Street; I did not notice any name up then—I did not find him in Castle Street—the contents of the case were charged as hardware.

ALEXANDER MOORE . I am station-master on the Great Northern of Ireland Railway at Strabane, about six miles from Raphoe—on August 10, 1880 I have an entry of a case directed to Hamilton, of Raphoe, weighing 1cwt. 2 qrs. 18 lbs., which arrived on the 11th—on the 12th I delivered that to James McDid to take to Raphoe, and he signed for it.

JAMES MCDID . I live at Raphoe, County Donegal—on August 12,1880, I went to the station at Strabane and took a case addressed to Hamilton, of Raphoe—I got this document from Mr. Hamilton, and signed for it, and took it to him.

THOMAS HAMILTON . I am a grocer and ironmonger at Raphoe—I was in the habit of receiving goods from England—on the morning of August 12,

1880 I received this advice note from Mr. Moore, the station-master at Strabane, of a box addressed to me—I sent McDid for it—I found it contained rifles, bayonets, and ammunition—I had not ordered such goods, and knew nothing about them—I put them back into the box, and sent it in charge of Head Constable Plunkett to the police-station—I made inquiries 88 to who had sent them, and in consequence of what I. heard I directed a letter to Mr. Watson, of Castle Street, Holborn, London—it came back to me through the Dead Letter Office—I afterwards received a telegram on August 18 from Belfast, in the name of Thomas Hogg, 56 and 58, Davis Street, Belfast; I knew no such person—I showed that telegram to Plunkett—I wrote to Hogg, of Belfast—that letter was not returned—I then sent a registered letter, and that came hack through the Dead Letter Office—there is no one at Raphoe carrying on business of the same kind as myself—the police came to me the day after I received the box, and they took possession of it.

Cross-examined, I a. not in a very large way of business; I am well-known in that part—I should be sure to have an intimation of any goods consigned to me—hardly a week passes without my having some consignment of goods—I was advised of this in the usual way.

WILLIAM YOUNG . (Sub-Inspector Royal. Irish Constabulary at Raphoe). On August 13, 1880, in consequence of something I heard, I went to Mr. Hamilton; I there saw a box, which I opened; it contained 10 rifles, 10 bayonets, and 200 rounds of ball cartridge—the stocks were cut in the middle band—I saw that same box and its contents at the police barracks on August 18—I eventually brought it to London—this (produced) is one of the rifles from the case—the rifles were in three pieces, cut in the middle hand, and could easily be put together—some of them had the shamrock on them, and some had figures.

HENRY JOSEPH WAKEFIELD . I am a clerk in the Globe Parcels Express at Leicester—in July last year I was at the office of the same company in St Paul's Churchyard—I have an entry in the books on July 4 of a case sent by Cooper, of Bartholomew Close, addressed to Farrell, of Castlereagh, Roscommon—the prisoner booked it, and paid 2d. for it—he gave me the name of Cooper, of Bartholomew Close—I copied the name and address that was on the case—Lovelock came with the prisoner on that occasion, and assisted with the case—previous to its being left I had seen Constable Shea—I did not see the case opened; I pointed it out to Mr. Payne, our manager.

WILLIAM PAYNE . This case was pointed out to me, and I opened it—it contained four or five revolvers, and a quantity of cartridges—the cartridges were taken out and kept, the revolvers were put back, and the case fastened down to be forwarded.

GEORGE CONNOR . I was foreman porter at Castlereagh, on the Midland Railway—I remember this case coming by train addressed to Mr. Farrell—I delivered it to his man in the presence of Constable Harvey.

GEORGE HARVEY . (Constable in the Royal Irish Constabulary). On July 8 I was at the station at Castlereagh, and saw a case addressed to Mr. Farrell—I saw it delivered to his man, Tiernan—I allowed him to take it part of the way and then arrested him, and took possession of the case, and took it to the police barracks—I saw it opened; it contained five 6-chambered Colt's revolvers—I brought it to London.

ADAM COOKE NEWELL (Sub-Inspector Royal Irish Constabulary at Castle reagh I saw this case opened—it contained five 6-chambered revolvers, and four small steel clamps—the case was kept there till Harvey brought it to London—this (produced) is one of the revolvers.

JAMES FARRELL . I am a miller, of Castlereagh—I know no person of the name of Cooper, of Bartholomew Close—I never ordered any revolvers or cartridges; I should be very sorry to order them.

Cross-examined. Consignments come to me largely, and in the course of business I send my carman every morning to the station to see what is there and bring them down—this case was brought in the ordinary way—the carmen take what they can get.

SAMUEL HENRY PEARSALL . L am a clerk in the employ of the Great Western Railway, at the Gresham Receiving-office—on 14th December last a cask was brought there addressed "William Callahan, grocer, Great George Street, Cork," by two men—I do not recognise the prisoner, but Lovelock was one of the men who came with the cart; I did not see whether the second man was or was not the prisoner—I handed the consignment note back to one of the men, who filled it up as it is now, and signed it "G. Andrews, Bartholomew Close;" the second man wrote that, not Lovelock—I asked him what the cask contained; he said "Groceries and sweets"—about 10 minutes after they left Gallagher, a constable, came, and in consequence of what he said I put the cask on one side, and next day it was opened in Gallagher's presence, and found to contain rifles, bayonets, and cartridges—he took a note of the contents; it was then fastened down—it was to go via Milford—this "Via Milford" was written by the same man who wrote the other.

Cross-examined. I asked for a declaration of the contents, as it is usual to have a consignment note and to know the contents—I can't tell you exactly what extra charge there would be for arms over groceries, but it would be the highest rate we should charge; not double the groceries rate I should say, but considerably more.

DANIEL GALLAGHER (Royal Irish Constabulary). I had some information about Walsh which caused me to watch his movements for some time—on 14th December I saw him at Railway Approach, London Bridge, with Ms. Morton, the gunmaker, at his shop—they went to a public-house, and returned to Morton's shop, and then the prisoner got into a van driven by Love-lock, and drove to 106, Southwark Street, a seed warehouse with a cellar below it—I saw him come out with Wenham—they went into another public-house farther away, and After they left there the prisoner got into the van with Lovelock, and I followed them to Homerton—they got there about 4 o'clock with the van empty—they remained there about half an hour, and then came out from 1, Nesbit Street with a third person in the van, a slight young man with his face shaved all but his moustache—the van was then laden, but I did not see the things put in as it went out of my sight—it was a covered van, and it was dark; I could see there were a good many cases in it and a cask, as well—they stopped at several public-houses on the way, and then drove to the King Street stable, where they put off two cases, and then went to Gresham Street, where Pearsall was; they took off a cask there; and the prisoner and Lovelock rolled it into the office—I saw the prisoner talking there—I followed the van; they went into the yard of the

Swan with Two Necks, which is the receiving-office of the. London and North-Western Railway, and two cases were taken off there similar to those left at King Street; they were put on the raised platform, and the prisoner went on to the platform and turned one of them on its side as if to look at the address—the van drove away, and I went hack to the Gresham Street office, and Mr. Pearsall pointed out a cask as that which the second man had left; it was addressed "William Callahan, grocer, Great George Street, Cork;" I gave directions to detain it till the next day—I found it there next morning, and assisted in opening it and found in it 16 rifles and bayonets—the stocks of the rifles were cut, and the different parts were tied up together in this way—I put some of them back; the cask was not finally closed then, but I did not remove any. for police purposes—the goods were sent off, and the case was lost sight of in some way in the transit—I went back to the Swan with Two Necks, and saw the two cases there which the prisoner and Lovelock had left; one was addressed "G. R Hutton, Limerick," and the other "S. W. Achey, Limerick"—I gave directions to the manager, Mr. Stevenson, as to the delivery of these cases, and next day went back and opened one of them; they were the same size as the other; the only difference that I saw was that one had the address on the case itself, and the other was in writing—I can't say which one I opened, "but it contained rifles, bayonets, and cartridges; I can't say how many, for only one was taken out—it was put back again, and the case fastened down; it was put into a van, and I accompanied it to Euston Station that same evening, and travelled in the train with the case from London to Holyhead, and then to Dublin, and on the 16th December at Dublin I pointed out the two cases on board the boat to Keaveny and Davey, two constables—after I had been to the Swan with Two Necks I went to the receiving-house at King Street, where I had first seen the man, and found that the two cases had been sent on to Paddington Station; I saw Mr. Daniels, the clerk, there—I reported what had occurred to Head Constable Shea—I did not go to Paddington; I saw the cases when they were delivered at King Street—they appeared to be about the same size as those delivered at the Swan with Two Necks.

JOHN BRITTON . I am employed at the Swan with Two Necks, which is the office of the London and North-Western Railway—on the 14th December two cases were delivered to me, one addressed to S. W. Achey, Limerick, and the other to Hutton, of Limerick—they were brought in Johnson's van by a carman named Lovelock—they were about three feet long—I afterwards saw Gallagher, who mentioned something about them, and I opened one of the cases next day and found it contained rifles, bayonets, and cartridges—I fastened it up, and they were sent on by passenger train on 15th December—I made an entry in my book.

THOMAS KEAVENY (Royal Irish Constabulary). On 16th December I was at North Wall, Dublin—Gallagher pointed out two cases to me; I saw them placed on the quay; one was addressed to Hutton, of Limerick, the other to Achey, of Limerick—I went by the same train with them to Limerick at 1 o'clock, and saw them arrive there, and pointed them out to Hotham—they were left there in charge of the police.

BLENNERHASSET CASHAM . I am station-master at Limerick—on 17th December I saw two eases arrive directed to Hutton and Achey; they weighed 1cwt. 3qrs. each—they remained in my charge at the station till

the 21st, when Inspector Wilton took charge of them—no inquiry has ever been made for them—I know no one in Limerick named Hutton or Achey.

JOHN ROLSTON (Head Constable Royal Irish Constabulary), I am stationed at Limerick—I was made aware of the arrival of these two cases on the morning of 17th December, and caused them to be taken out and placed in the office—they were directed to Achey and Hutton, and both marked "London and North-Western Railway;" I marked them—they were not interfered with till Inspector Wilton opened them; they contained rifles, ammunition, and bayonets—I have known Limerick two years—I have made inquiry, but cannot find Achey or Hutton—no inquiry has been made for the case.

HENRY WILTON (Sub-Inspector Royal Irish Constabulary). On 21st December I took possession of these two cases—I opened them and found they contained 20 rifles with bayonets, and 380 rounds between the two of ball cartridge—the stocks of the rifles were cut obliquely across the middle band, and there was a mark of a shamrock on the butts—anybody could put them together—I have made particular inquiries, but cannot find Achey or Hutton.

JOSEPH WATTS . I am a porter at the Smithfield Station of the Great Western Railway—on 14th December I was at the King Street-office when two cases were brought; Mr. Daniel was there—they were addressed to Cahir, in Ireland; one to Mr. Doherty, and the other I do not recollect, but it was to Cahir—Mr. Daniel made an entry in a book of them—I do not know the person who brought them; I did not see the van—they were forwarded in due course to Paddington—Gallagher came and spoke to me about them the same day.

EDWARD DANIEL . I am a clerk in charge of the Great Western Booking-office, King Street, City—on 14th December two cases came, and Watts called out the names and addresses; one was addressed to Doherty, of Cahir, and the other to a different name—I saw the two men who brought the cases, but cannot recognize them—I went to Paddington the same evening, and saw the cases there.

GARRATT REDMAN (Police Sergeant Royal Irish Constabulary) I am stationed at Waterford—on 15th December I was in London, and went to Paddington Station, and travelled from there to Milford, where 1 saw two cases, one addressed "Miss Doherty, Ballydruid House, Cahir, vid Clonmel," and the other "Rev. Dr. Flanaghan, Rector, Kilvenny, Cahir Railway Station, vid Clonmel"—I saw them put on the steamer for Waterford, and afterwards saw them at the railway station, Water-ford, and in the railway truck at the goods station for Cahir—I went to Cahir, and pointed out the truck to a constable there—I afterwards saw Sub-Inspector Bourchier, and gave him the particulars of the two cases.

HENRY JAMES BOURCHIER (Sub-Inspector Royal Irish Constabulary). I am stationed at Cahir, Tipperary—on 16th December I received information from Redman, and on the 18th I saw two cases at Cahir in a railway truck from Waterford—one was addressed to the Rev. Dr. Fla-naghan, and the other to Miss Doherty—they were taken to the police barracks, Cahir, the same night, and I opened them—they contained 10 rifles, with bayonets complete, and 400 rounds of ball-cartridge in the two cases—every rifle had the stock cut through the middle band—I took possession of them, put stones in he cases, fastened them up,

and they were put back into the railway truck in exactly the same position they were in before—I directed officers to watch at the station—they were never claimed—I have one box now, stones and all—the other was taken away as ballast in a third-class carriage empty, and the train pulled up and stopped at three roads, and after watching it some considerable time, and no one coming, it was brought back, and when my men came back to the office it was gone—the one with the stones in it was taken away, as I am informed, on the tender of the engine, and dropped by the driver and one of the railway servants—I had a man watching, and the engine went on and picked up the box, dropped it further up the line, and by the time my man got there it was gone—that was Miss Doherty's—they got the stones and I got the rifles—they are all cut in the stocks, stamped with a shamrock, and bayonets attached—I brought them to London with Peter Clark—I have known Kilveney 20 years j there is no Rev. Dr. Flanaghan living there, and to my recollection there never was; I have made very close inquiry—I have known some of the Roman Catholic priests for some years, and I know the rector very well—there never has been any Rector of that name—there is a Miss Doherty; she is very old and feeble, and nearly blind; she is quite unable to travel—I went to see her, and she would not receive them.

DANIEL GALLAGHER (Re-examined). On 30th December last, about 10 a. m., I went with Gray to Homerton—about 12 I saw the prisoner driving towards the warehouse in Nisbet Street, in Johnson's van, with Lovelock, the carman—the van was backed in to the entrance of the ware-house—I did not see what was done while the van was there—when it came out the prisoner and Lovelock were still with it—it was driven towards the City—it had in it a case and a cask—I followed it to the Phoenix Railway Receiving-office in King William Street, City—the prisoner went inside, and brought out a little trolly, and took the case inside—the van then went on with the cask to the Great Western Goods-station, Smithfield, and when it came from there the cask was not in it—the prisoner then drove away—I then went into the Great Western office and saw a cask there exactly similar to the one I had seen on 14th December; it was addressed" J. T. Egan, grocer, Castle Gregory, near Tralee"—I then went to the Phoenix Receiving-office, and there saw a case similar to that which I had seen left there—that was addressed "M. Glin, Kilrush, County Clare"—I had some conversation with Mr. Limbert, the clerk in charge there—later in the day I went to the Great Western Railway-station, Paddington, and there saw that same case on a truck about to be sent off by rail—I had it taken off and put in one of the offices in the presence of Head Constable Shea, Redmond, and Gray—that same evening I went back to Smithfield and saw Mr. Stephens, the Inspector, and the cask I had left there—I had it taken it out of the truck and locked up—next morning, the 31st, I went there and opened the cask in the presence of Mr. Stephens and Gray—it contained 10 rifles, 10 bayonets, and 10 packages, each containing 20 ball-cartridges—I produce one of the rifles; it was then in pieces, cut in the middle band—it has been put together this morning—there is a shamrock mark on it—I repacked the cask and sent it on—on 3d. January I went with Shea to the Dalston June-tion about 2 in the afternoon, and there saw the prisoner and Lovelock pass in Johnson's van in the direction of Homerton—I could see a crate and a cask in it—Shea and I went by railway, and arrived there before the van

—I saw it backed in the entrance to the warehouse—I then returned to Dalston Junction, and while there I saw the van going again towards the City—I followed it to Falcon Square, where there is a receiving-house for the Midland Railway—at that time there was a third man with the van that was the man I had seen with the prisoner on 14th December—he was a slight young man, with his face all shaved, except a slight dark moustache-the prisoner and Lovelock got out of the van; the third man remained in it—Lovelock got the case on his back and carried it into the goods-station—the prisoner accompanied him—when they came out the three went into a public-house opposite—I went into the receiving-office and saw the case—it was addressed to the Rev. M. Maguire, Clare, King's County—I saw Mr. North and Mr. Foulkes at the office—next day, the 4th, I returned and saw the case there again—I opened it; it contained 10 rifles, 10 bayonets, and 10 packages, each containing 20 ball-cartridges—they were exactly the same kind of rifles as the others, and cut in the same way—I marked each rifle with a file, and the case went on its way—on 27th February I saw the prisoner and Lovelock in Johnson's van in the Kingsland Road, coming from the direction of Homerton—I followed it to Earl's Buildings, Featherstone Street—I there saw 11 cases, seven or eight small barrels, a crate, and several small brown-paper packages—the cases and barrels appeared to be fall; some of them were rolled in heavy—they appeared to be made of darker wood and larger than those I had seen before—after they had been taken out the prisoner drove away to Charles Street, Hatton Garden—I have known Belfast well for over ten years—I know no Mr. Thomas Hogg, of 56 and 58, Davis Street, Belfast—I do not know such a street as Davis Street there; there is a Dives Street—at that time there was a public-house at 56 and 58, kept by one Henry Gorman—I inquired for Thomas Hogg it that address, and could learn nothing respecting him—they denied all know-ledge of him.

Cross-examined. I was sent over here on special duty by the Dublin authorities in October, 1880—the first time I saw the prisoner was on December 14, 1881—after that I kept him under my eye occasionally, when I could—under my instructions he was watched—I had nothing to do with his arrest—there was no one acting under me; I was acting in a subordinate capacity myself.

Re-examined. I saw him twice after February 27; not with the van, it public-houses—January 14 and 27 were the only occasions on which I saw him with the van.

GEORGE REDDICK . I am checker at the Great Western Railway Office, Smithfield—on December 30 a cask was brought there, I think by the prisoner—I asked him for a consignment note—he said his hands were cold, and asked me to make one out for him—I did so, and he signed it—to gave the name of Abrahams, of St. John Street, as the sender—this is the note; I copied the address on the cask, it was "J. S. Egan, grocer, Castle Gregory, near Tralee, vid Milford and Waterford"—it was described as a cart of sundries—I asked him what it contained—he said at first groceries, then he said "Several things, better call it sundries"—it weighted 2 cwt. 3qrs 14 lbs—I saw him sign the note, but his hand shook a good deal. (The signature was illegible)—the cask was taken away to a truck; I did not see it afterwards.

THOMAS GEORGE GRAY . I am an acting constable in the Royal Irish

Constabulary—on December 30 I was with Gallagher at the Paddington Station, and saw a cask there addressed to J. S. Egan, opened; it contained 10 rifles, 10 bayonets, and 200 rounds of ball cartridge—one rifle and 20 rounds of ball cartridge were taken out—the cask was then closed up, and I travelled with it by the same train to Waterford, where I pointed it out to Davitt.

JOHN DAVITT (Royal Irish Constabulary). On January 4 I was on duty on the quay at Waterford—Gray there pointed out to me a cask addressed to J. S. Egan, Tralee—I went with it to Tralee, and gave the number of the waggon it was in to Walsh.

THOMAS WALSH (Royal Irish Constabulary, Tralee). On January 5 a cask came there addressed to J. S. Egan—Davitt pointed it out to me—it was kept there under supervision until the 9th instant—nobody inquired for it, and it was then taken to the barracks.

PATRICK WOULFB . I am store-keeper at Tralee Station—on January 5 a cask arrived there addressed to J. S. Egan; it was left in the store till January 9; no one inquired for it—it was then handed over to the police.

GEORGE HOLMES (Sub-Inspector of Royal Irish Constabulary, Tralee). At the end of December I received a communication about a cask that was expected to arrive there—on January 5 I saw a cask addressed to J. S. Egan at the station, and on the 9th I took possession of it; it was opened in my presence—it contained nine rifles and bayonets, and 180 rounds of ball ammunition—1 took it to the barracks, and brought it over here.

JAMES MCNAMEE (Royal Irish Constabulary) I am stationed at Castle Gregory, about 17 miles from Tralee—I have been there about a year—I do not know any J. S, Egan, a grocer, there; I have made inquiries—there is a John Egan, a grocer; he never claimed the cask—there is also a small farmer named J. S. Egan, of Castle Gregory—there are other Egans, but no J. S. Egau, a grocer; it is a common name there—no one has claimed the cask.

GARRETT KEDMOND (Re-examined). On December 30, between 8 and 9 at night, I was at the Great Western Station, Paddington—Gallagher pointed out to me a case addressed "M. Glin, Esq., Kilrush, County Clare"—it was moved into the office and opened—it contained 15 rifles, with bayonets, and 28 packages of 10 rounds each for Sniders—the stocks were cut and tied up, and marked with a shamrock—I took out one rifle and four packages of ammunition; the rest were re-packed in the case to be sent on—1 travelled in the same train, and saw the same case put on board the boat for Waterford, and again at Waterford, where I pointed it out to Keaveny—I produce the rifle and packet that I took out—I marked the others, and they were brought to London.

THOMAS KEAVENY . On December 30 I went to Waterford, and on January 2 saw on the quay a case addressed "M. Glin, Esq., Kilrush;" and two hours afterwards I saw it again at the railway-station—it was put into truck to be forwarded to Limerick, where I saw it again, and told a constable to look after it—Next morning I saw it alongside the wharf, and went by the steamer to Kilrush, where I saw it put on the quay, and pointed it out to a constable there.

HENRY JEORGE SUPPLE . I am local manager for the Lower Shanonn Steamship Company, Kilrush, County Clare—on January 4 I saw a case addressed to "M. Glin, Esq.", and handed it to my carman, Lillis.

THOMAS LILLIS . I am carman to Mr. Supple—oil January 4 a case addressed to "M. Glin, Esq.", was put on my car at the Koff Quay, Kil. rush, and I was driving up the street to Mr. Glin's stores when Fay came up and told me to drive with it to the police barracks.

PATRICK FAY (Head Constable Royal Irish Constabulary, Kilrush). On January 24 I saw Lillis going to Mr. Glin's stores, and having spoken to Mr. Glin, I directed him to drive the van containing the case to the police barracks—it was directed to "M. Glin, Esq., Kilrush, County Clare "—it was opened in my presence, and contained 14 rifles and bayonets, and 260 rounds of ball cartridge—the stock of each rifle was cut, and the pieces tied up together, so as to have them complete—they were all stamped at the bottom with a shamrock—I brought them to England, and produce them to-day.

MICHAEL GLIN . I am a Magistrate for County Clare, and am a mer-chant and corn dealer at Kilrush—there is no Michael Glin there but I—I know nothing of the case which was consigned to me—I heard of its arrival in January, and saw it opened.

Cross-examined. I am very well known in that district.

JOHN BURROUGHS . I am in the employ of the Midland Railway Company, Castle and Falcon receiving-house, Falcon Square—on January 31 received from the prisoner a case addressed to the "Rev. McGwire, Clara, King's County," and this consignment note—I passed it on to be forwarded, and the same day I saw Gallagher looking at it—the name of the sender was L. Ambrose, Bartholomew Close; and the note says, "One case of books—I did not know the prisoner before.

Cross-examined. He did not tell me that Ambrose was his own name—he brought the note filled up.

INSPECTOR PEEL (Re-examined). I found in the stable these 37 Midland Railway forms (produced), 42 of the Great "Western, and 49 of the Great Northern; and 37 small and three large of the London and North Western.

Cross-examined. I understand you can get way-bills at any of the stations.

BERNARD O'MALLEY (Royal Irish Constabulary). On 7th January I received orders to watch the steamer from Liverpool, and when she arrived at North Wall,-Dublin, I boarded her and found a case addressed, Rev. T. M. M'Gwire, Clara, King's County—I took it to the Midland Railway and saw it put into a store, and next day travelled down to Clara with it, and pointed it out to Callan, another constable—it was 2 feet long by 21/2 wide, and rather heavy.

THOMAS SCANLAN . I am station master at Clara Railway Station—on 9th January, I saw this case arrive, addressed to the Rev. M. M'Gwire; no one applied for it—I kept it till the 17th January and the police took it away—I wrote to the Rev. M. M'Gwire, at the address mentioned, and seat it by post; I got no reply, but the letter did not come back through the Dead Letter Office.

THOMAS CALLAN . I am a constable—I hail charge of this case till it was handed over to Inspetor Allen—I have known Clara seven months; there is no Rev. M. M'Gwire living there, but there is at a place called Tullybeg College—he has not claimed it.

INSPECTOR PEEL (Re-examined). I only found four saloon pistols; this is one—it is a single barrel—I have seen no cartridges to fit it.

Cross-examined. I saw some pawnbroker's duplicates at the prisoners lodging; I did not take possession of them, and cannot say whether these (produced) are them. (These related to a watch pledged for 5l. 10s., a carpet for 5s., and another for 7s.; a clock and other articles, in the names of Bridget and Ann Walsh.)

P. HIGHFIELD. I know the prisoner as Thomas Walsh—I livein Whisten Street—last January I had a workshop at 61/2, Cross Street, advertised in the Chronicle to let, and in the middle of January the prisoner came there and told me he wanted to warehouse some goods for a firm in the city—he gave his name as Sadgrove, of Charles Street, Hatton Garden, rod took the warehouse at 8s. a week—he occupied it about four weeks—he same to my place with a van, and I opened the door for him and saw some uses inside.

PATRICK CAVANAGH (Royal Irish Constabulary). On 30th January, 1881, I was stationed at Limerick and saw three proclamations on the walls—this is one of them. (MR. BIRON objected to this being read as there was no evidence that the prisoner was aware of the contents, but the COURT considered that it was evidence for the Jury. Read: "S. C. Proclamation.—Men of Ireland,—The country is now passing through a crisis full of danger to the national cause. The action of the British Government and of its aiders and abettors is obviously intended to provoke premature resistance. Upon you, therefore, rests the responsibility of averting defeat arid hnmiliation. You have grievous cause for revolt; but you are not yet prepared, and a crushing disaster would now leave to the next generation the task of beginning anew the great work already so far advanced. The salvation of our people lies in the achievement of national independence alone; but the time to strike has not yet come. Beware, then, of being misled by false or foolish friends or goaded by the enemy into fruitless outbreaks. The man who now incites to attempts at insurrection is doing England's work and must be held guilty of treason to Ireland. The most rigid discipline must enforced and partial outbreaks prevented. Move only by command of your officers. Our present duty is to prepare, to watch, to wait. Until the hour for action comes let your attitude be one of calm resolve, self-sacrifice, and unshaken confidence in the final triumph of our cause. By order of the Irish National Directory.

THADDEUS DUFFY (Royal Irish Constabulary). On 30th January I saw several of these proclamations posted in the City of Cork—they were not there the day before—they were posted at 12 o'clock that night—I took down 12 of them from the walls, and a great many more were posted.

JOHN KINSELLA (Royal Irish Constabulary). On 30th January I was stationed at Tralee, in Kerry, and saw six or seven of these proclamations in different parts of the town—I believe they were posted during the night.

EDWARD LACEY (Royal Irish Constabulary). On Sunday, 30th January, I was stationed at Kilrush, and saw two copies of this proclamation, one posted and another which had been torn down—I do not believe they were there on the 29th.

MICHAEL MCENERY . On 30th January, 1881,1 was stationed at Rath-cormick, County Cork, and saw posted one copy of this proclamation entire and two torn down; they had been posted in the night.

HANNAH REARDON . Up to January this year I lived at Kiskean, County

Cork, about nine miles. from Millstream—I went there in the beginning of September, 1881, and on the night of 10th September, I was returning home to Kiskean, and in a field by the road side I saw about 60 men drilling—three men, named Sullivan, Monaghan, and Gallagher, were drilling them—they had rifles in their hands—it was not dark, I could see then—I have seen 25 or 30 rifles at Gallagher's, one of the men who was drilling-they had this load in a lime kiln in the field where they were drilling—I saw 25 rifles in a field at Knockmalog—some of the rifles were darker thin this, and some brighter in the stocks—some of them had been put in a hole in the kiln.

Cross-examined. I was living at Gallagher's house in September, but it was not there, but at his uncle's house that I saw the rifles—I did not go into the field where they were drilling, I was in the road walking by; they were not more than half an hour in sight, and about the same number went out of the house; seven of them went in and the others remained outside—I first gave information of this on 14th January—I came over here hut Saturday.

MARTIN COSTELLO . I am a farmer of Dirrah, County Kerry—en 6th September, 1881, Thomas Foley, of Dirrah, asked me to join a Fenian Society, Michael Cams was present—I refused, but he persuaded me sod produced a Testament which he had with him, and administered an oath to me to be loyal to the Irish Republic, and to be ready at a monent's notice to take up arms in defence of my country, and to be obedient to my superior officers, and not to reveal anything secret which might he told me—Carns took the same oath, and Foley put down both our names on a sheet of paper, which he had with him—other names were down on it—I was to subscribe 1s. a month—I took no further action in the society.

Cross-examined. I did not pay any money or keep the oath—the oath was administered in a public-house in Ballyween, in the county of, Kern, with only me and the other man present.

This being the case for the prosecution, MR. BIRON submitted that the evidence failed to support either count of the indictment. The real gist of the offence was the intent, and he contended that the case was absolutely devoid of any evidence to warrant the supposition that the prisoner eniertained the intents alleged; nor was there any proof of the existence of any conspiracy on his part or that of any persons entertaining such intents; neither was it shown that the prisoner had any knowledge of the unlawful drilling referred to in one of the Fenian proclamations, given in evidence. The ATTORNEY-GENERAL contended that the evidence amply supported the allegation in the indictment, and came within the meaning of the statute upon which the indictment was founded. He referred to the ruling of CHIEF JUSTICE ERLN in Reg. v. Dowling, 3 Cox, p. 514, and Sessions Paper, vol. xxviii., p. 728, that of LORD CHIEF JUSTICE COCKBURN, in Reg. v. Davitt and Wilson, 11 Cox, p. 76, and Sessions Paper, vol lxxii., p. 296.

MR. JUSTICE STEPHEN, in leaving the case to the Jury, stated that it was necessary they should be satisfied: 1st, that there was a treasonable conspiracy; 2nd, that the arms were sent by the prisoner in pursuance of that conspiracy; and 3rd, that he knew when he sent them that they were meant for that purpose. GUILTY .— Seven Years' Penal Servitude.

View as XML