11th March 1878
Reference Numbert18780311-349
VerdictGuilty > unknown
SentenceImprisonment > penal servitude

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

349. SAMUEL WILLIAM LIVERSEDGE (33), Stealing three watches, one pendant, nine pairs of earrings, and other articles, of Charles Gilbert Goddard and another his masters.

MR. STRAIGHT conducted the Prosecution; and MR. GILL the defence,

CHARLES GILBERT GODDARD . I am a jeweller, in partnership with Mr. Lawson at 44, St. Paul's Churchyard—the prisoner was our traveller—last November he was entrusted with jewellery to go round to customers and to dispose of it—we supplied him with this black bag to place it in—we kept a record of the jewellery he took away every morning, and he had to give us an account of what he sold or left on approbation, and it would be charged against the customer and written on his account—on 12th November a new stock book was being prepared at our premises at Hatton Garden, where Mr. Lawson was—I saw the prisoner that morning at St. Paul's Churchyard, and said "I would rather you did not take your out this morning, because we are going to make a new stock book"

—he said "I have an appointment with Mr. Harnett of Edgware Road and I will be back by 11.30"—he mentioned that more than once and ultimately left the bag—he returned by 4.45 without the bag and rather excited—I think he was the worse for liquor—he said that he had had his bag taken out of the train, at King's Cross railway station by three men. who passed hurriedly by him, who were in the same compartment with him, that his bag was by his side, and that he found something touch him, missed his bag, jumped out of the carriage, called the guard and said he had been robbed of a bag worth 1,500l., and asked him to stop the train, but he would not do so, and that he then went to Bagnigge Wells police-station and gave information, and from there came to me—I sent him with my partner's son in a cab to Scotland Yard, and they returned for a full list of the property, which was made out by Mr. Lawson, jun., and the clerk—Mr. Slade afterwards made a communication to me and I went to his place at Paul's Wharf and saw the bag; it was open and the empty jewellery cases were in it—when the prisoner came to me that evening he showed me the centre of a diamond bracelet with which he had been entrusted, and said "I have found this in my pocket"—this (produced) is the case of that bracelet, I found it in the bag at Mr. Slade's—I had looked out an order for the prisoner for some shirt studs for Dr. S. Bridges and handed them to the prisoner with some links and collar studs, and also a pair of earrings for Dr. Bridges' brother—on 14th August the prisoner was entrusted with a single stone diamond ring, No. 1082, value about 12l.—I have asked him about that ring since the loss of the bag, and he said that he had never had it—on 9th October he had a diamond gipsy ring, No. 596, value 28l.—I have asked him about that, and he said that it was in the bag—he never suggested that he had been robbed of it by a woman—on 16th August he had a silver hunting watch—I asked him for it on several occasions—he said that it was with Mr. Norbury, who was getting up a watch club, he being employed at Ryland's in Wood Street—on 8th December instructions were given to take him in custody and he was taken—the case was investigated from time to time until 9th January, when he was discharged—we had had no information from Mr. Brown then as to where certain pawn tickets were—I have inspected the goods referred to in these six pawn tickets which Mr. Brown snowed me, and find they relate to some diamond earrings, a diamond and turquoise brooch, a pair of gold earrings, and a pair of diamond and turquoise ear tops, which had been entrusted to the prisoner for sale and which should have been in the bag—I had given Mr. Brown certain instructions previously.

Cross-examined. The prisoner was in my employ about 6 months, I had a good character with him—he used to carry a stock book in his pocket—somebody in the firm gave him the bag every morning and it was kept in the iron safe at night—we had no other traveller at that house—on one occasion the goods were wrapped in paper and the bag was taken by somebody else—the firm checked his book with the general stock book—he would leave 200l. or 300l. worth of goods with a customer, and generally for 10 days—I do not know that a warrant is out against Mr. Bridges—the prisoner was charged with a ring and wrote to say that he knew nothing about it—this centre out of a bracelet forms a pendant and can be used separately, he gave me that after he came from Scotland Yard—I believe he drove up to our place in a cab—he was first charged before

a Magistrate about a fortnight afterwards—there were three or four remands and the Magistrate thought there was not sufficient case—I offered 100l. reward in different newspapers—I do not know what Brown is—he has taken goods to Dr. Bridges in the evening—I examined the prisoner's stock book twice a year—I had no means of knowing whether goods left on approbation were entered in it unless he told me—trade had been bad for a long time and he said that he had answered an advertise—ment.

Re-examined, He told me on the 12th that the book was in the bag, but it was not.

HENRY LAWSON . I assist my father and Mr. Goddard at St. Paul's Churchyard—the prisoner was their traveller and was paid by salary and commission, but I believe it was always made up to 50s. a week—on 12th November at a few minutes to 5 o'clock he came to the warehouse a good deal excited and made a statement, and I accompanied him to Scotland Yard in a cab—we were asked for a complete list of the things stolen and returned to St. Paul's Churchyard, where I called the articles out of the book and he told me whether they were in the bag or not—I called out the various articles mentioned on these pawn tickets, and he said that they were in the bag—I also called out the bracelet, of which he showed me the centre, and he said that it was in the bag—I called out ring No. 1082, he said that he had never had it; but I had given it to him myself and entered it at the time—it was never returned to me—I called out ring 596, and he said that it was in the bag.—he never complained to me that it had been stolen from him by a woman at Liverpool Street station—I called out a silver watch, and he said that Mr. Norbury had it—after the list was made out he said that if he took it to Bow Lane they would be able to communicate with Scotland Yard quicker than we could, that they would telegraph, and he went to Bow Lane for that purpose; he was away about 25 minutes and we left at a few minutes to 7 o'clock to go to Scotland Yard.

Cross-examined. He got a good deal excited that night—he told me in the cab that while showing the bracelet to Mr. Barrett it came unfastened, and he put it in his pocket—he asserted frequently that I had not given him one ring, and he had done so before—there had been a dispute about it—I know of things being taken out which were not entered in the stock book in which we kept the account with him—I believe it was an unlocked bag—it was in one instance my fault that he took out articles which were not entered—he was not credited with them though he was debited—that was a pair of ear-rings—there are 39 or 40 articles in this list which we made out—I know of his leaving goods on approbation with people—that is part of our trade—their names would only some to my knowledge from what he told us—I have no doubt that he returned a 40l. ring to the firm a week after the robbery, which had been out on approbation; I was not present, but it is marked in the stock-book—that was a little over three weeks before he was given in custody—he remained in our employ a week or 10 days.

Re-examined. The ring he returned was one which had been out on the books to Mr. Cooper—during the five months he was in our employ I never took anything out of his bag and sold it to a customer—Mr. Goddard and Mr. Hitchin could—this entry is my writing—he had ring 1082 and two others.

CHARLES GILBERT GODDARD (Re-examined). I never took anything out of the prisoner's bag and sold it to a customer.

SAMUEL WILLLAM HITCHIN . I am assistant to the prosecutors—I produce the stock-book—here is an entry in it on 14th August of the delivery of a diamond ring, No. 1082, and two others to the prisoner, in Harry Lawson's writing—two of the rings were returned to me on 21st September, and I said "You have another ring to return"—he said that he had never had it—he never said anything to me about having a ring stolen from him by a woman at Liverpool Street station—he never returned to me ring No. 596, which he had last October—I gave him out the silver watch on 16th August, and he has never returned it—on 30th August he had a clock from me, No. 5913, to show to Spiers and Pond, which has since been shown to me by one of the officers.

Cross-examined. The different people in the employment had access to this bag when it was in the shop, and could sell from it if they liked, but I only know that Harry Lawson once took a pair of earrings from it—I do not know that a diamond locket, black enamelled, was taken out—I don't remember the prisoner complaining of a locket being taken out—no diamond feather or necklet was sold from the bag—he had a diamond feather and necklet in the bag, but they were not sold. Re-examined. He effected very few sales while he was with us.

THOMAS JOSEPH BARRETT . I am a jeweller, of 94, Edgware Road—on 12th November, about 2.30, the prisoner called on me—he appeared the worse for liquor—his breath smelt strongly of brandy—he had his bag with him—I had no appointment with him, but I had seen him frequently for eight or ten years—he wanted to show me the contents of his bag and opened one or two cases, but I said that I did not require anything—he showed me a diamond bracelet, which appeared to be in a similar case to this, and the centre of the bracelet was similar to this—I did not purchase anything of him—he left me about 3.20—he said that he had not done much business that day, but had left 600l. or 700l. worth of goods on approbation.

Cross-examined. He wanted to sell me some clocks and to send me some on approbation—Chapel Street, Edgware Road, is the nearest railway station to my place.

PETER HARNETT (Police Inspector G). On 12th November about 4.30 the prisoner came to King's Cross police-station—he was not sober—he said that he travelled to King's Cross and had a bag of jewellery worth about 1, 500l. which was on a seat near the door, and some persons who he could not describe left the carriage between Edgware Road and King's Cross, and took his bag with them, and he went out of the carriage and shouted loudly but the train could not be stopped—I asked him for a description of the jewellery and immediately caused information to be sent round to all stations by telegraph, but the description he gave me was exceedingly imperfect.

Cross-examined. The station is not quite half a mile from the railway station—he stayed with me two or three minutes—he did not call next day, but he called frequently afterwards.

WILLIAM THORNE . I am a guard on the Metropolitan Railway—on 12th November, at 4.27, I saw the prisoner at King's Cross station on the platform when the train was running into the station, and after I had started the train he came to me—I can swear he did not come by the

train—I got out of my break after the train stopped and was opposite the prisoner, within a yard—he did not speak to me then but after I had started the train he came up in an excited manner and said that two men had taken his bag from the platform and got into my train, and that the bag contained 1,000l. worth of jewellery—he said "What am I to do?"—I could not wait as I had started the train, and referred him to the station inspector—it was not a full train, and when it got to Farringdon Street I kept my attention on it but saw no one leave with a black bag similar to this, nor was any black bag found in the train—I kept my observation all the way to Aldgate—no one got out with a black bag.

Cross-examined. The train had come from Addison Road at 3.57, and it was at Edgware Road at 4.10—he appeared to be in a very excited condition—I was examined on the first occasion, when he was discharged, and I may have said that I did not particularly notice who got out of the train at King's Cross—that was three weeks afterwards—my reason for saying that he did not get out of my train is that I saw him at full thirty yards—I should be sorry to get out of the train myself at that pace, and I saw him standing on the platform then—I said so at Guildhall the last time I was there.

WILLIAM BARHAM . I am a lighterman, in the employ of Mr. Haynes, of Paul's Wharf—on the evening of 12th November, about 6 or 6.10, I found this black bag in the Thames, between Blackfriars and Southwark Bridges—the tide was just on the turn, it was running down in shore—the bag was closed; I gave it to Mr. Slade, to whom the wharf belongs, and saw it opened; it was wet inside, but not very; it had not been in the water a great while.

Cross-examined. It was floating, and the tide was still running up, but it was just upon high water—it would have gone as far as Blackfriars Bridge in half an hour if it started from Southwark—it was in mid stream—if it had been put in at Paul's Wharf it would not have been where it was, it would have been farther down—if it was thrown over at Southwark Bridge it would take a little over 10 minutes to reach where I found it.

GEORGE REED (City Policeman 173). On 9th October I was in Moor Lane station, and the prisoner came and complained of the loss of three rings in the company of a woman, not far from Finsbury Circus—he said that he picked her up by the Railway Tavern, and she begged of him, saying that she had several children, and he gave her 1s.; that she hurriedly left him, and he missed the rings from his waistcoat pocket—I went with him to search for her, but could not find her—he took two rings from his waistcoat pocket, a diamond ring and a lady's ring—I said "You have two rings now"—he said "They have nothing to do with the others"—he made an appointment to meet me next night, but did not—he said that one ring was numbered 596.

Cross-examined. He afterwards came to the station and said that one ring had been recovered, but that No. 596 was still missing.

WILLIAM CLIFF BROWN . I am an upholsterer, of 274, Kingsland Road—I know a person named Fuller, and 1 knew the prisoner several months ago in connection with Fuller—on Friday, February 1st, I was at the Bull and Bell, Ropemaker Street, Finsbury, and saw the prisoner there—I entered into conversation with him, and he offered me 20 or 30 loose diamonds—I said "These have been set"—he made no particular remark to that, but said that he was very short of money, and would take 2l. for

them—I knew that he had been in Lawson and Goddard 's employ—I spoke to a man named Palethorpe, who was in the room, and we both went to the station for a description of the stolen property—on Sunday, February 3rd, I saw the prisoner at his house at Leyton (I had communicated with Mr. Goddard and with Sergeant Green, and was acting under their instructions)—we had several hours' conversation about the robbery of the bag—I knew that he had been charged before a Magistrate and discharged—he said that there were three men in a railway carriage on the Metropolitan line, and two of them took the bag from him, that one passed him and the other blocked him, so that he could not get near him, and that he could not overtake them, as the train went on—he did not say how far he went on with the train—I made an appointment to meet him the following Monday at Broad Street station—Mr. Palethorpe, who was with us, left fur a few minutes, and then the prisoner said to me "I have a great deal to say, but I cannot say it, because there is a third party present"—he was with me the whole of Monday, from 10 to 4 o'clock—I then left him and arranged to meet him at 6 o'clock at the Catherine Wheel, when he was to produce six pawn tickets, which he agreed should be purchased for 40l.—he told me he had six tickets which formed part of this jewel robbery, that they had been given to him as his share by those who committed the robbery, that they had treated him very badly, having only paid his legal expenses and his wife's maintenance while he was in prison; that they represented about 230l., but the goods were pledged for about 40l.—he also told me that he knew of several similar robberies which were coming off, one in particular where the traveller was deficient in his cash about 150l., and he must go—I told him I wanted to see the articles and agreed to give him the 40l.—I left him at 4 o'clock and communicated with Mr. Goddard, and then met the prisoner at the Catherine Wheel—he came in alone, but another person joined who I do not recognise—he took me from there to the Ship and Turtle, showed me these six pawn tickets, and asked me for an advance—I gave him a sovereign and promised him the balance when I had inspected the goods—he asked for my private address and said "I will see you again in a few minutes or a quarter of an hour and will show you a letter I have written to you"—he showed me this letter and I saw him post it. (Read: "Mr. Brown. Feb. 4th, 1878. Dear Sir,—Having received a letter containing tickets, which I have every reason to believe are connected with the bag which was stolen from me, you would be doing me a great favour if, with your usual kindness, you would not only meet me early to-morrow, 10: N. L. Railway Station, but also help me by going to the various places so that I can identify my employer's lost property, the interest on one only will be returned by yours truly, S. W. Liversidge.") Written across that is "By doing this you will help to reinstate me in my old position."—He asked what I thought of the letter—I said that I thought it was a very clever invention—I met him on the Tuesday by appointment and he asked me to go with him to Chelsea—I went with him to Mr. Withers' shop, King's Road, and saw some earrings which were in pawn for 15l., and for which I had the contract note—I took them out, paid the interest due, and a further advance of 10l. was made upon them, making the deposit note 26l. instead of 15l.—Mr. Withers offered to buy them, but the prisoner refused to sell them—we went to a public-house, where he said that we were going

to a place where the remainder of the money might be found—I handed him 5l.—a brougham was waiting, I don't I know where it came from—we both got into it and went to a public-house, where he left me for a short time and came back and asked me for the tickets—I refused to give them to him—the brougham went away, and we took a cab to the Embankment—he insisted on the way upon having the tickets but I refused—he was getting the worse for liquor—we parted in Margaret Street about 7 o'clock and I immediately went to Mr. Goddard and Sergeant Green and handed the tickets over—I went round with Mr. Goddard and identified the goods and we were given in custody at one of the pawnbroker's—the prisoner was taken as the Bull and Mouth the following morning, and I found this letter there addressed to me: "Dear B.,—I have a special appointment to-day at 11, which I forgot to mention yesterday. Will meet you to-morrow, Thursday, Bull and Mouth, 11 sharp. Be there, I want to see you very particularly. S. Liversedge." When I left him at Margaret Street on Friday night, we had arranged to meet on the following day; he had promised to introduce me to people who had the property.

Cross-examined. I was given in custody for a short time—I had never been in custody before—my name is not over my shop door—I sell furniture—I managed a business for 18 months for a gentleman who dealt in cigars and wine—I know a man named Horn who is charged at these Sessions he robbed me of 75l. (See New Court, Friday)—he is a member of the Long Firm and a friend of the prisoner—I have been mixed up with the Long Firm three times, I have sold to them and have lost money by them—I never gave Horn a reference—the Bell and Bull is about two miles from my shop—I do not live there, but the landlord is an old acquaintance of mine—Petherick is a metal merchant, not a marine store dealer—I don't think he was called before the Magistrate; he is here—he did not see the 29 diamonds, but I mentioned them to him—the prisoner distinctly told me that he and three other men did the robbery; that the men in the carriage were acting with him, and that he knew them, and had part of it as his share—I was surprised, but I did not express it, as I had another object in view—he did not say that he was going to take part in the robbery where the traveller was 150l. in default but he said "I could take part if I thought proper"—he thought I was a respectable man—he talked of the jewellery as "the stuff"—I do not know why the letter was written—I never knew till a fortnight afterwards that there was a reward out; that would not make much impression upon me, I am glad to render the public a service—I signed this contract note in the name in which it was given before, I believe Mr. Withers asked me to do so—I have never given evidence at a police-court before.

Re-examined. Horn is here waiting to take his trial with Gudgeon and Shuttleworth on a charge of fraud—there is not the slightest pretence for saying that I have been mixed up with him—I sold him goods as a respectable man.

FRANCIS NORBURY . I am a warehouseman—in August last I had a silver watch from the prisoner—I returned it to him about a fortnight afterwards—he had asked me to get up a watch club as I was in a large house, and I tried to do so but could not.

ALFRED WITHERS . I am a pawnbroker of 430, King's Road, Chelsea—I produce a pair of diamond earrings which were first brought to me on 20th

November, about 4 p.m., and I advanced 15l. on them—I cannot say whether the prisoner brought them, but he came with Mr. Brown on 5th February and they were shown the earrings—I asked whether they wanted to sell them, and ultimately I made a further advance of 10l., and a fresh note was drawn up in the name of Wilson—Mr. Goddard has identified them.

Cross-examined. Brown signed the note—I cannot say whether Brown pawned them originally, as it was six months ago—I should not like to say that the two signatures are the same.

By the JURY. It was not at my request that it was put in the same name—I merely asked one of them to sign—he could have put it in another name if he liked—I assumed that one of them was the same party—I had no reason to think otherwise.

CHARLES CHAPMAN . I am assistant to Dobree and Freeman, pawnbrokers, of 318, Strand—I produce a pair of diamond earrings pledged on 22nd December for 5l., but not by the prisoner—this is the duplicate—Mr. Goddard has identified them.

ALFRED TUNSTALL . I am a pawnbroker, of 69, Brompton Road—I produce a pair of diamond earrings pawned on 7th December for 6l.—I see the corresponding duplicate here.

JOHN HATCHABD . I am assistant to Mr. Fleming, pawnbroker, of 1, Lower John Street, Golden Square—I produce a pair of earrings pawned on December 7th for 1l.—the duplicate corresponds with mine.

EDWIN ALCOTT . I am assistant to Mr. Bravington, of Leicester Square—I produce a diamond and turquoise brooch pawned on 30th November for 2l.—this duplicate corresponds with mine.

CHARLES GILBERT GODDARD (Re-examined). In respect to the sixth duplicate the article has been handed to me—it is a pair of ear-drops pawned for 17s.—I identify them—Mr. Brown first made a communication to me some few days before 6th February, and was in communication with me continually during the time, and also with Sergeant Green.

Cross-examined. At the time that pawning took place the prisoner was under examination on the original charge.

WILLIAM POTTS (City Detective). I took the prisoner on 8th December and searched his house at Leyton—I found a clock which Mr. Hitchins identifies—the prisoner said "Why don't Mr. Goddard charge me with stealing the clock and stealing the bag? If this is Mr. Goddard's way it is the best thing for me, for I shall be in possession of a public-house in 12 months"—he was taken to the station, charged, and discharged on 9th January—he said at the station that Mr. Goddard knew that he had the clock, and that it was for Spiers and Pond, and he told me on one of the remands that it was no good for me to go to Spiers and Pond as the clock was never intended for them.

Cross-examined. He had one furnished room.

WILLIAM GREEN (Police Sergeant). On 1st February Brown communecated with me, and from that day till the 7th he was in communication with me continually and showed me this first letter—on the 7th I called the prisoner out of the Bull and Bell and said "Mr. Liversedge, is that your name?"—he said "Yes, and your name is Green"—I said "Yes, I want to know what you have done with those diamonds you offered to Mr. Brown a little before the 1st of this month"—he said "I know nothing of any diamonds; is Brown in your pay or the pay of the police?"—I said "No, Mr. Brown and Mr. Goddard were taken in

custody yesterday at Mr. Debenham's, the pawnbroker's"—he said "You don't mean to say that; is Brown in custody now?"—I said "No, but we are going to take you in custody for beings in possession of six duplicates representing 200l. worth of jewellery stolen from Messrs. Lawson and Goddard, on 12th November, you haying offered the same for 40l."—he said "Where are you going to take me?"—I said "To the same police-station where you were charged before"—he said several times on the way to the station that he had nothing to do with the robbery of the jewellery—the charge was read over to him—he said nothing.

GUILTY .— Seven Years' Penal Servitude .

View as XML