1st March 1869
Reference Numbert18690301-341
VerdictGuilty > unknown

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

341. WILLIAM WILBUTT (36), HENRY HINDER (30), and GEORGE JONES (23) , stealing 2 cwt. of metal type, and 2 metal forms, of George Edward Eyre and another.

Mr. MOODY. conducted the Prosecution.

WILLIAM MACKIS . I live at 12, Little Russell Square, Bloomsbury, and I work for Messrs. Eyre & Spottiswoode, of New Street—on 4th February, a little before 7, I was sitting on the step of the office, looking after a van—I saw the three prisoners—they came up, and looked in the doorway—I then saw Wilbutt go in and take a form of type out, and go round New Street with it—the other two prisoners went with him—Wilbutt came back again—he went to the game place again, and took another one out—Jones met him by a coffee-shop, and said, "Come along, make haste," and lifted the form on his shoulder.

Wilbutt. Where were you sitting? Witness. Nearly opposite the turning you took the forms from—the ran was in the road, even with the door where I was sitting—the van was as wide as the road.

Jones. I never saw the two prisoners on that day; he never saw me talking to them.

COURT. Q. Did you know him at the police station? A. Yes, I gave the detective his description before I identified him.

HENRY WELLS . I live at 23, Hornsey Road, and work for Eyre & Spottiswoode—on 4th February I was in New Street, about 6.45, and saw Wilbutt dragging a form along the pathway—when he got to the Northumberland coffee-shop, Jones came up to him and said, "Come along, make haste," and lifted the form on his shoulder—he went down as far as New Street then, and there I saw another form against the wall—Hinder was standing at the side of it—Wilbutt put the form he was carrying down by the other one—they then left the two forms in the charge of Hinder—Jones and Wilbutt went towards the place where they had taken the forms from—I saw a gentleman looking about—he said some forms had been stolen, and I informed the police, and saw Wilbutt taken.

THOMAS BARKER . (City Policeman 419). On theevening of 4th February, and a little before 7, the last witness spoke to me—I turned round and saw Wilbutt running from the corner of New Street Hill—I chased him, and caught him in Shoe Lane, opposite Robin Hood Court—I took him back to the corner of New Street Hill, and there I saw the two forms against the wall—I sent for Messrs. Spottiswoode's foreman, Mr. Paul, and showed him the forms, and he identified them as their property—Wilbutt said he knew nothing of the robbery—I asked him what he ran for, and he said, "Because you ran."

EDWARD PAUL . I am storekeeper to Messrs. Eyre & Spottiswoode—on this evening I was taken by the constable to New Street Hill, and shown two forms of type there, against the wall—they were the property of my employers—they had been taken from a passage of one of our offices—they are worth about 25l.—they had just been printed off and brought out of the machine room—each form weighs rather over 100 lbs.

JAMES HANN . (City Detective, 549). On the morning of 12th February I was in Crosby Row, Borough, with Hawkins, another constable—I saw Jones there—I told him I should take him into custody for being concerned with two others in stealing two forms of type from Messrs. Spottiswoode's, on 4th February—he said "Very well"—I took him to the station—I took Hinder

on the 8th, in Chancery Lane—I told him the charge, he said he did not know anything about the stealing of them, but he knew who did do it; he asked if there was anyone in custody—I told him that a man named Wilbutt was—he said he did not know him by the name of Wilbutt, he knew him as Black Bill—I took him to the station, and he said there were two forms of type taken about a fortnight previous to these two, and one on the Tuesday or Wednesday previous, and he would take me and show me where the metal was sold—he took me to Bartholomew Close and showed me the place, and said, "They gave three half-pence a pound for it"

Prisoners' Statements before the Magistrate. Wilbutt: "All I can say is, seeing a chimney on fire at the corner, I ran and fetched the turncock." Hinder: "I am not guilty." And Jones: "I don't know the other two prisoners."


WILBUTT also PLEADED GUILTY. ** to a previous conviction on 22nd October, 1866—Seven Years' Penal Servitude. HINDER,* to a previous conviction, on 21st March, 1867—Two Years' Imprisonment. And JONES, to a previous conviction, on 1st June, 1868— Eighteen Months' Imprisonment.

View as XML