5th September 1911
Reference Numbert19110905-75
VerdictGuilty > unknown

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

ELLSOM, Charles (22, labourer), was indicted for and charged on the Coroner's inquisition with the wilful murder of Rose Render.

Mr. Bodkin, Mr. Travers Humphreys, and Mr. Montague Shearman prosecuted; Mr. A. S. Carr defended.

GEORGE RENDER , 11, Wilmington Place. Deceased was my youngest child. She did not live at home for the past 18 months; the last employment she had was 15 months ago with her mother. I first knew prisoner 18 months ago. Since then she has come with him to my house several times; they slept for two nights as man and wife. After that they lived together at Whitfield Street about two months. About three months ago she came to my house and in consequence of what she said I went and saw prisoner at Whitfield Street. I asked him what he meant by robbing her of four shillings and wanting her to go on the streets and keep him. He said it Was a falsehood and asked me why I did not lock him up if it was true. I said I could not do that and he said, "Wait until they come and prove it." He then left me. About three days afterwards he came into the "Cock" public-house and said to me, "This is what it is over. It ain't what you think," and he pulled out some paper from his pocket. I set about him and his friend and they ran out. I did not see him again. After the dispute my daughter came home to ane in Berkeley Street, bringing her clothes with her. She stopped about six days and then she had to go as we had no room. She told me she was going into lodgings. I believe she lodged at Charlotte Place, but I never went there; she came to my place every day. About ten weeks ago I went to a coffee-house in Great Chapel Street and whistled her out from inside. After Charlotte Place she went to live in Gray's Inn Place and I have been to meet her there; I never knew Rose Powell. The last time I saw my daughter was at 7.50 p.m. on August 19; she came to see me at 12.30 p.m. She left the house at 8.15 p.m. Aft 2.30 a.m. I identified her body.

Cross-examined. I have been unable, through ill-health, to work since last October. I suggest that prisoner led deceased astray; he first met her only 18 months ago. Some time ago we learnt from prisoner that she was with a man named Chemist, but I do not think it was as long ago as May, 1909. I know nothing about Harry Mahoney. Prisoner has not constantly given me money; about 11 months ago, when at the coffee-shop, deceased paid some rent for us. When I went to Whitfield Street prisoner did not tell me that he had found her in a locked room with Bill Mahoney and the lights out, and had made her give him back 4s. out of the 11s. 6d. he had given her. I did not read the papers that he pulled out of his pocket in the public-house. Deceased did not live with Hagan and Harry Mahoney before she went to prisoner. She told me she had been earning her living singing and dancing at Italian clubs. I do not know Chard nor Passiponte.

Re-examined. About 11 months ago I heard prisoner say to deceased, "Go to Charlie Chard," but I have never seen him; I have not heard of him since.

To the Court. The papers prisoner produced looked to me like foolscap sheets of blue foolscap.

HORACE DANIEL GOODENOUGH , tinman, 13, Richmond Buildings, Dean Street. I knew deceased about eight months; I have known prisoner for about the same time. I have seen them having meals at 12, Great Chapel Street; the first time I saw them was in Dean Street but not to speak to. In April last, whilst at the corner of Great Chapel Street, he said to me, "Have you seen Rose?" I said "No, I have not." He said, "No one shall have her, because I shall do her in," and he produced a small chef's knife, similar to Exhibit 1, but not so long. I said, "Don't be such a fool. You will get yourself into trouble." He went away. I did not see her after that.

Cross-examined. I have spoken to him about two or three times. By my speaking to friends—not witnesses in this case—it got about that I knew of what I have spoken to, and Inspector Burnham came to see me.

ROSE POWELL , 12, Little Gray's Inn Lane, W.C. I am a waitress, but at present am out of employment. Deceased lived with me for about three weeks; she left me when prisoner came out of prison in about June. She used to go out in the streets, but what for I could not say. I used to meet her up West sometimes. After she left me I went to see prisoner at 26, Dodson Street. He told me then that she was living with him. Subsequently I went to 26, Maple Street and found them living together there. I did not know of any address she was living at after that. I have seen them out together on several occasions at all hours of the day and night. I have seen them have quarrels in the street once or twice; I think about May was the last time. I have seen deceased in the street with other men than prisoner; he has not spoken to me about it, but I have heard him say more than once that he was jealous of her being with a certain fellow, but he did not threaten; I cannot say when the last occasion was that this happened. The last time I saw them together was about a fortnight before her death outside the restaurant in Chapel Street. Nothing passed between us as I was not on friendly terms. I have seen something similar to this loaded stick (Exhibit 2) in his possession.

Cross-examined. I do not know that deceased was at some time a prostitute. She lived at Gray's Inn Lane before me. I did not come to live there with an Arabian, nor did I induce her to live with another Arabian. She left before prisoner came out of prison. He has never complained to me that I was inducing her to lead the life of a prostitute. I was once a prostitute, but have not been since March.

Re-examined. Up to September, 1910, I was in employment and since March this year I have been living with a gentleman.

MAY HARRISON , 212, Gray's Inn Road, W.C. I have been a servant, but am now a prostitute. I knew deceased about 12 months; she told me she was a prostitute. I have known prisoner about a month; she introduced him to me; I have seen him two or three times since then, but not to speak to. I saw them together once in a restaurant in Newport Street. At 1.30 a.m. on August 20 I left her at the corner of Dean Street; she went in the direction of Charing Cross Road.

ADA STURKELL , 4, Diadem Court, Dean Street. I was married on August 1. Till then I was living at 26, Maple Street, where deceased and prisoner lived together. Just before I was married I went on the streets and I used to see her. Prisoner used to be with her sometimes. About 10 p.m. on August 7 I was standing at the corner of Diadem Court when I saw prisoner running along, followed by deceased, who was shouting out something about "f—ponce" and "ten shillings." I saw him about half an hour alter come and speak to some fellows. I saw him on the night of August 11 and asked him how Rosie was getting on, and he said, "She has gone home to her parents. She left Maple Street two days ago." About 1 a.m. on August 19 I was near Frith Street when I saw her walking along towards Berwick Street. I said "Good night," and she looked round. I looked round and saw prisoner following her. I saw her at 11.30 that evening alone at the corner of Titchfield Street.

Cross-examined. I do not know if she threw any glasses at him on the evening of August 7.

MARY RILEY , wife of Albert John Riley, 1, Upper Yardley Street. We occupy the two downstairs rooms, the front being the bedroom. We sleep in the bed away from the window. We went to bed on the night of August 19 about 11. The window was about a foot open. I was woken up by a woman screaming just outside our step." Don't, Charlie, don't!" and then there was a groan. I woke my husband and then there was another groan. On going outside I saw the body of a young woman lying at the foot of my steps.

Cross-examined. There were only a few spots of blood from our steps to the corner, but there was some blood on our steps.

HENRY CROSK , 24, Kay Street, Hackney Road. About 2.4 a.m. I was in Upper Yardley Street with a friend when I saw a young woman lying on the pavement. There was blood on her dress, on the steps, and on the pavement; I thought she was dead. We got a constable.

Police-constable GEORGE ALLCHIN, 607 G. At about 2.15 a.m. on August 20 I was in Calthorpe Street when, in consequence of information received, I went to Wilmington Square, where I saw the body of deceased. She was taken to the hospital and her father was sent for. I got to the body about 2.17.

LOUISA BAKER , 20, Easton Street, Clerkenwell. At just after 2 a.m. on August 20 I was sitting at my door with Mrs. Brewer when I heard a woman scream. Within 10 minutes after a man ran out of Attneave Street up Easton Street. As far as I could see he was a little short man; I think he had a cap on. His right hand was in his outside jacket pocket.

ROBERT FREDERICK LUVELL , fireman, the station, Euston Road. At 2.51 a.m. on August 20 I was on duty when we received a call from the Francis Street fire alarm; it has glass in front.

JOHN FLETCHER , 78, Stanhope Street, Hampstead Road. I am a cook; I was last in employment about 1908 in the Royal Fusiliers. I have occupied the front parlour on the ground floor (the window

looking out on to the pavement) three weeks; I cannot say how long I had been there prior to August 20. Kathleen O'Connell and Winifred Bernard, my young woman, were occupying the same room. I think they are earning their living at present by prostitution. I have known prisoner about five years, and I knew deceased 12 months, but not to speak to all that time. Before being introduced to her I used to see her in Tottenham Court Road and several other places; I generally used to see prisoner round about where the deceased was, but not with her. I generally saw them together at the restaurant in Great Chapel Street. For the 12 months prior to August 20 they lived at Maple Street and Whitfield Street; I have been and seen them at Maple Street. I saw them together on several occasions after that, amongst other places at the restaurant in Great Chapel Street. I have seen her give him money; he has also given her money when he has had it. Several times he has told me he has got to meet her to get money for his night is lodging. On either the Bank Holiday or the day after he told me that she had cut him in the face with a broken glass and ran him round the streets calling him a ponce; I heard him say to her, "Why don't you go home and leave the life you are leading alone?" This was after she hit him in the face with a bottle. She said, "No; I like my Italian fellows better than you." We left her outside, the shop and on our coming back she was not there. I went with him to Maple Street and he went in. He came out and said, "It's all right; she's in bed—the best place for her." Subsequently he asked me to lend him a shilling as he said he wanted to buy a knife. We went into Plume's shop in Compton Street. He said, "I want to see one of those chef knives." The shopman showed him two, but they were not large enough for him. He eventually bought one exactly the same size as this (Exhibit 1) for 10d. The next morning I saw him in Compton Street and he said, "Come with me. I want to find an Italian boy named Guinni. I am 'going to do him in for taking my Rosie away." I said, "If that is what you want, you can go by yourself and meet me later on." On August 17 prisoner saw deceased in Comptom Street; he said something to her, she said something and he slapped her face; I heard her call him "bastard" and names like that. On August 20 I think I went home at about 1.30 a.m.; I cannot remember whether O'Connell and Bernard were both in or whether I went in with Bernard and found O'Connell there. I went to bed and after one or two minutes I heard someone shout." Jack, Jack." I looked out of the window and said, "Who is it?" I saw it was prisoner. He said, "Charlie. I have killed her stone dead." I said, "Who?" He said, "Rosie." I said, "What Rosie." He said, "My missus." I went down and opened the street door. I showed him into the room and lit, the candle. He produced a knife from his right hand trousers pocket and said, "This is what I done it with. Look "; it was wet with blood. His eyes were glaring; he did not look in his right mind; he was sweating and said he had run all the way from Clerkenwell where he had done it. The two girls were sitting up in bed. He said, "I have killed Rosie. She drove me to

it. Come out and have a cup of coffee." At the most we were in the room five minutes. We went out. A little way down the street he said, "I wish I had not told you anything about it; then I should have been safe. Do you think I can trust those two girls?" I said, "I think so—surely." He pulled out the knife and said, "There you are—look at the blood on it." I said, "Go on; you are kidding me. What's that fat on it." He said, "That's from somewhere near her heart." I took it from him and threw it down a gulley; we were then standing in, Stanhope Street; when I had it in my hand he said, "Take it away from me, Jack!" He said that deceased had given him a shilling and his night's lodging; he had asked her to go back with him and she had refused, saying, "I like my Italian boys best"; he had said to her, "I will kill you first," and had pulled out a knife and showed it to her; she had held her arms out and said, "Here you are, then. Do it. I don't care"; he had stabbed her once and he felt the knife stop and she had said, "Oh, don't Charlie, don't," and clung hold of the railings; and he knew that he had done damage and had stabbed her eight or nine times afterwards. We walked into Tottenham Court Road, where we saw a fire and prisoner said he would go and break the alarm; he went towards Hampstead Road. When he came back he said, "I can say I have cut my finger with the fire alarm "; when he pulled out the knife first I noticed he had a cut on the little finger of his light hand. We went down to the coffee-stall, where he met a man he knew. This man said, "Hallo, Charlie—back with Rose?" Prisoner said, "No, I sin't seen her for two or three days." On going back to my place he said, "They are bound to have me on suspicion and seeing a chap at the coffee-stall will help me get out of it"; he said we should buy the first paper as it was bound to have something about it in it. On getting back we found Bernard and O'Connell up. I went out and got a "Lloyd's News," which I handed prisoner. He returned it to me, saying, "She's dead, Jack," and started crying; he showed me a paragraph headed "Clerkenwell Tragedy." I tore it out of the paper and put it on the fire so that the girls should not read it. Bernard said to him, "What have you done, Charlie?—a murder." He said to me, "Go on, Jack. You had better tell them." I said to the girls, "Charlie has done a murder; he has murdered his missus and wants to know whether he can trust you or whether you will put him away." One of the girls said, "If it's a prostitute, they can't say it's you. She takes men home." Prisoner said, "No, I done it in the street." He fold them what he had told me and paid, "If you put me away, there's a nice clique behind who will do for you afterwards." We went to Johnston Street, his mother's place, as he said he wanted to get a clean shirt. I waited outside while he went in. He came out and said, "They have got suspicions; the splits have been here and have just gone. I shall have to blow out of the country. She can only have lived to say my name, Charlie, and put me away." He told me to say that he had been with me from 10 o'clock till half-past two and asked me whether I would stick to him. I said I would stick to him till the last. I took him home. I then went out leaving him there, saying I was going to get information.

I went to see a man I knew at the Charlotte Street Picture Palace. On coming out Detective Seymour claimed me; he spoke to me and I answered him. I went back and found them all three there. After stopping in about ten minutes I took him down to the restaurant in Great Chapel Street, where I had made the appointment. He was arrested. Subsequently I pointed out to Inspector Burnham where I had thrown the knife. I think when prisoner called out he had a cap and a green coat and waistcoat on. On that morning he handed me this loaded stick (Exhibit 2), saying, "Take this and think of me, Jack. She's dead." In the week before the murder he said to me that he wanted to live with Kathleean O'Connell because she earned more money than Rose.

Cross-examined. I said, "You had better ask her and see"; O'Connell had nothing to do with me. I earn my living now singing outside theatres. I left the Service because of an accident to my ear; I have got a disease in the head and I go mad every twelve months; I had a fit on the night of August 19. I also thieve for my living and I am proud of it. I have never had any of the earnings of Bernard. O'Connell was a lodger, but she only paid 2s. 6d. once for rent. Why I had a police whistle is my business. Walton having been brought up at this Sessions is nothing to do with me. There is only one of my friends in prison now. My life is in danger now through this case. I never noticed what prisoner said in the cab to Inspector Burnham on the way to the station." I heard him charged and then I was put in a cell. I was afterwards liberated. I refuse to say what I was doing from 8 p.m. on August 9. I was walking about Hyde Park and all round there. The ring I am wearing has nothing to do with my doings there. I went into the "Port and Harness" that evening, but I cannot say what time I came out. Afterwards I met my girl, Bernard; I am not sure whether O'Connell was with her or whether she arrived after. I have not spoken to O'Connell about this case since giving evidence at the Police Court. The coffee stall prisoner and I went to was in Trafalgar Square. It was after we came back from his mother's that he said to the girls if they put him away there was a nice clique behind who would do for them; I may have said before the magistrate that that happened before, but I cannot remember everything. I did not know what O'Connell and Bernard said in their statements and I did not take much notice of their evidence at the Police Court. I cannot recollect the exact time I went home that night; I know what time prisoner came to me because he said he had done the murder at about 2 o'clock and had run straight to me. I believe I have mentioned that before. To the Court. I know that the punishment for perjury may be penal servitude.

(Wednesday, September 10.)

JOHN FLETCHER (recalled), re-examined. I was discharged from the Army in consequence of an accident I had on manoeuvres. I lose my senses for sometimes as much as half an hour. Afterwards I feel

weak. I had recovered from it on this night when I got into bed. After Detective Seymour spoke to me I went with him to the Leicester Square Tube, where I saw Inspector Burnham. I made a statement which he took down before I left the station that morning. I made two or three statements before I gave evidence at the Police Court.

To the Court. It was before I saw the police that I threw away the knife. (Mr. Carr put in the witness's depositions before the magistrate and the coroner, the witness having identified the signatures thereto).

KATHLEEN O'CONNELL , 18, Murray Street, Camden Road. In August I was living at 78, Stanhope Street, with Bernard; Fletcher was living there also; I was there three weeks. I had known prisoner about three weeks. About a fortnight before the murder he showed me this photo (produced) and asked me if I knew her; he said that it was his "missus" and that he had left her. I had no occupation at that time. He asked me if I would like to live with a fellow and I said, "No." I understood he was referring to himself. He asked Bernard to ask me if I would like to live with him. It was between 1 and 1.30 a.m. that I arrived home at Stanhope Street on August 20. I found Fletcher and Bernard there; Bernard was just going to bed and Fletcher was bad with pains in the head. I went to bed and Fletcher kept walking about the room, holding his head. Just as he was getting into bed somebody called through the window, "Jack! Jack!" Fletcher opened the window and said, "Who is it?" and he called out "Charlie." Fletcher opened the door and as he did so I heard the man say, "I have killed" either "him" or "her" "stone dead." Fletcher came back to the room with prisoner, who looked wild. Fletcher lit the candle and they commenced whispering. Prisoner brought out something from his pocket, looked across the room to see if we were looking, and put it back. We said, "Have you done a murder, Charlie?" and he said, "No; it's all swank." He then asked Fletcher to go out and have a cup of coffee with him, and they went out. We went to sleep. On waking up I found them sitting by the fire having some tea. Fletcher got back to bed and prisoner sat by the washstand all night. On waking up Bernard asked Fletcher to go and get the breakfast. They went out. Fletcher brought in the "News of the World" and gave it to us to read. Prisoner then said, "I will go out and get a paper." He went out and returned with "Lloyd's Weekly." After reading it he showed something on the front page to Fletcher and started crying; he said, "They have got suspicions." One of them tore a piece out of the paper and put it on the fire. Prisoner asked us if he had done a murder would we round on him. We said it was nothing to do with us. He said, "You are the only two that know it, and if you give me away there's a nice gang behind who will do you in the same as Rosie has been done in." They went out, prisoner saying he was going down to his mother's to get a clean shirt. When going he said, "If anybody comes round here, you don't know nothing." Then he said, "I have done a murder." I asked him whom he had

murdered, but I did not catch his answer. I said, "If it's a prostitute they can't blame you for it, because those girls take strange men home every night to their rooms." He said he did not do it in a room; he did it in the street. Fletcher, referring to the visit to prisoner's mother, said, "Don't go down there, as you know the splits have been after you." When prisoner first came into the room he had on a cap and a grey coat.

Cross-examined. Fletcher, Bernard, and I slept in one big bed; we did the same previously in Whitfield Street. Bernard was letting me stop there until I got a room. On one occasion I paid rent in Stanhope Street. I never gave any money to Fletcher. I have been convicted for soliciting. It is true that this is the first time I have said that Fletcher complained of pains in his head on that night, but this is the first time I have been asked what he was doing in that room. Bernard, since I gave evidence before, has reminded me that the candle was out when they came into the room. This is not the first time I have said that prisoner asked Fletcher to come out "and have a cup of coffee." This is not the first time that I have said prisoner cried when he read "Lloyd's Weekly": I told the magistrate that and I told it in my original statement. (Here the Jury were informed by the Judge, on their asking, that the evidences of witnesses before the Coroner and Magistrate were not taken verbatim). It was after the second time they came back that prisoner said about there being "a nice clique behind."

Re-examined. I was not present when Bernard made her statement to Inspector Burnham at about 3.40 a.m. on August 20. I made mine subsequently. (The witness having identified her signature and initials on the statement, Mr. Bodkin tendered it in evidence for the purpose, he stated, of showing that though the witness may not have made certain statements before the Magistrate and Coroner, she had made them in the previous statement.)

Mr. Justice Avory admitted the statement, but said that he would only allow the passages referred to in cross-examination to be read.

Mr. Bodkin stated that, the witness having identified it, he would leave it there.

WINIFRED BERNARD . I have been living at 78, Stanhope Street with Fletcher about four weeks. I have been living with him 18 months. I had known prisoner about three weeks before August 20. I did not know deceased well. Fletcher and I arrived home about 12.15 a.m. on August 20. I can only guess at the time as we had no clock in the room. O'Connell came in at about 12.30. I went to bed about 1.45. Fletcher was taken bad. At about 2.30 or 2.45 I 1 heard somebody calling out "Jack!" Fletcher had just got into bed; he got out of bed. I said, "Fetch him inside; I don't want him calling out this hour of the night." He went and opened the door. I then heard prisoner say to him, "I've killed"—"her" or "him"—"stone dead." They came into the room, went to the mantelpiece and began talking. Fletcher lit the candle. Prisoner put his hand in his pocket and drew out something, which I could not see. When

he saw we were looking he put it back again. He then said to Fletcher, "Come and have a cup of coffee with me." Fletcher said to me, "Shall I go?" I said "No." He put on his clothes and they went out. I went to sleep. On waking up again they were in the room talking. I asked them what the time was and they said about 7.30. I asked Fletcher to go out and get the breakfast and they went out. On their return prisoner said to us, "If I done a murder, would you put me away?" I said, "It's nothing to do with me." He said, "I have done a murder!" Then, turning to Fletcher, said, "Look! they have taken it in." They had brought in "Lloyd's Weekly." Prisoner looked at it and said to Fletcher, "There's something in the paper about last night." Fletcher tore something out. Prisoner said to me that he had murdered his missus. They went out again; they did not say where they were going; on their return prisoner said to Fletcher he wanted to get a clean shirt from his mother's and he could not go because the 'tecs had been round after him. When I first saw prisoner he looked white, worried, and he was sweating.

Cross-examined. Now I come to think of it, Fletcher had blown the candle out two or three times that night. I have not said that before. I said in my statement that Fletcher was taken ill that night. O'Connell may have said something to me about this case, but I did not answer her. I lived with Fletcher before this at Whitfield Street; O'Connell did not live there, but she used to come and see me in the daytime and she has also slept three nights there. Last April I was convicted of soliciting.

Re-examined. On the morning of the 20th I went to the station and made this statement to Inspector Burnham (produced); I identify my signature.

THOMAS KOBE , Divisional Burgeon of Police, 60, Bloomsbury Street, W.C. On August 22 I made a post-mortem examination of deceased. I found eight distunct cuts and a bruise. A punctured wound about an inch long, two and a half inches deep, and passing downwards to the pelvic bone on the left side and touching it was probably the first inflicted. The fatal wound was one bellow the clavicle; it entered the chest wall, penetrated the left lung and opened the sac covering the heart, entering the pulmonary artery. I should say deceased could have lived three minutes after that and she could shout. There was a wound between the seventh and eighth ribs, Which penetrated the liver; there were four wounds on the right arm and two below the right shoulder; these latter may have been the result of one blow. There, was also a wound on the inside of the left hand extending to the bone. The asisailant was probably facing the woman, who would be standing. This knife (Exhibit 1) could have, caused all the wounds. On examining a coat shown me by Inspector Burnham, in the right hand jacket pocket I found traces of blood.

Cross-examined. There was nothing to show how far the knife had gone into the deepest wound. She would not be able to go very far after the fatal wound, but she could walk.

RICHARD HEZEKIAH STAINES , fireman, Fire Station, Great Marlborough Street. At 2.53 a.m. on August 20 we received a call from the Tottenham Court Road fire alarm at the corner of Percy Street; it would be impossible to ring it without breaking the glass.

JOHN PLUME . I am employed by my father, an ironmonger, at 47 Old Compton Street. We sell knives similar to Exhibit 1 at 10d. This revolving cylinder on the till shows that we sold one of them on August, 14; we sell no other knives at 10d.

Detective ERNEST SEYMOUR, D Division. In consequence of a com-munication I received from Inspector Burnham on the morning of August 20, I spoke to Fletcher in Pitt, Street at 11.30. I made an arrangement with him. That same morning I was at Leicester Square Tube Station with him and Inspector Burnham.

Detective-inspector WILLIAM BURNHAM, G Division. About 3.15 a.m. on August 20, in consequence of information received, I began to make inquiries. About 1 p.m. I was at Leicester Square Tube Station. I saw Fletcher. About 1.30 p.m. I went to 12. Great Chapel Street, a restaurant kept by Rosa Allooa. I stood at the door for a minute. Prisoner got up from a table and said, "It's me you want." I said, "Is your name Charles Ellsom or Brown." He Said, "Yes. The missus told me you had been here, so I thought I would wait." I took him into the street and directed an officer to bring Fletcher. I said to prisoner, "I am going to arrest you for murdering Rose Render about two this morning at Wilmington Square." He said, "I don't know anything about it." I put him into a taxi-cab with other officers and Fletcher. He said, "I did not go out from home until ten last night. I went up to his place (pointing to Fletcher) at half-past two and I have been with him ever since. We went to a fire in the Tottenham Court Road." At the station he and Fletcher were put into separate cells. I then went to 78, Stanhope Street, where I found O'Connel Land Bernard. I brought them to the station. I took a statement from Bernard in the absence of O'Conoell and then I took O'Connell's statement in the presence of Bernard, having cautioned Bernard not to say anything. I then took Fletcher's statement in the presence of the two women. At about 10.20 p.m. prisoner was charged. I noticed from the root of his little finger on the right hand a piece of skin was hanging; he saw me looking at it and he said "I did that when I broke the fire alarm." I handed his jacket to Dr. Ross. On the next day prisoner was before the magistrate; the only witnesses were the medical witnesses and George Render. On the next day Fletcher pointed out two gullies in Stanhope Street about 20 yards apart and in one of them we found the knife (Exhibit 1). In a cupboard in Fletcher's room I found this loaded stick. The distance from Upper Yardley Street to 78, Stanhope streat is one mile seven furlongs two yards the witness detailed the route). From 78, Stanhope Street to the Francis Street fire alarm it. would be, I should think, about half a mile and to the Percy Street fire alarm three-quarters of a mile. On August 26 I took another statement from Fletcher; up to that time he had not given evidence. He gave evidence before the coroner and the magistrate on the 29th;

I think he was recalled on the 30th before the magistrate. The coroner, in taking Bernard's and O'Connell's evidence, stated he did not want a lot; he had their statements before him.

Cross-examined. At the time of his arrest prisoner was on probation. The bloodstains, which consisted of one spot and two smears, were examined only last week. Sturkell and Harrison have been convicted of soliciting in the streets. Among the witnesses asked for by prisoner is a man named Talbot. We are told he is away hopping.

Re-examined. Inquiry was made at 43, Johnson Street, at about 8.30 a.m. on August 20.


KATE BREWER . I was with Mrs. Baker on the morning of the 20th. About ten minutes after the clock struck two I heard a woman scream.

Detective C. SEYMOUR (recalled). There is a clock at the corner of Tottenham Court Road and Euston Road, about 50 yards from the coffee stall.

CHARLES ELLSOM (prisoner, on oath). At the time I was arrested I was sleeping at Rowton House and stopping in the daytime at my mother's, 43, Johnson Street. About 20 months ago I was employed at R. and P. Culley's; I left through a fight. I knew deceased five years. I first started living with her 11 months ago; she had previously been living with Hagan and Harry Mahoney. I was working at a coffee-shop at 556, Mile End Road, and she came to me there as her "chap" had been locked up. When we moved to Whitfield Street her father used to come and see us every day. On one occasion I came back and found her in a locked room with Bill Mahoney and the gas out. I struck her, and took 4s. away from the 11s. 6d. I had given her that morning. That was the reason of the disturbance when the father came. The next day I saw him in a public-house, showed him some letters I had found in her possession which she had received from Hagan and Harry Mahoney, who were in prison. He struck at me. Before she came to me she had been living on the streets. I was put in prison about eight weeks before the Coronation; I was in prison seven weeks, and then I was bound over. I found she had been living with Rose Powell at 11, Gray's Inn Lane; they were both living with Arabians. I had a row with Powell because she with the other witnesses in the case were trying to get her away from me to live a life of prostitution. Since then I did odd jobs for Costa, manager of Horsey and Sons, Jermyn Street. I never lived on deceased's earning. I knew Fletcher only three weeks before I was arrested; he lived on the earnings of Bernard and O'Connell; that is the only way I knew them. I never suggested that O'Connell should live with me. Fletcher said that O'Connell had said she would like to live with me. Deceased used to know a lot of Italians; she used chiefly to be with one named Passiponte; I caught her with him once. On August 19 I left 43, Johnson Street, at 10 p.m., and went to Compton Street. I stayed talking to some fellows (one named Dennis) at the corner of

Dean Street till 11.45. I then went to the corner of Rathbone Place and Oxford Street where I met an Italian named Amelia. We were talking. Two or three Italians who lodged in Percy Street talked to us, and then left us at the corner of Percy Street; I left Amelia there at 1.35. I met another man who used to work for a woman in Seaton Street, and we went to the coffee-stall, facing Seaton Street. It must have been about 2 a.m.; on approaching the stall I noticed the clock over Baker's. At the coffee-stall I met, among others, Arthur Talbot and Tich Pepperell. Talbot is always to be found in Seaton Street; I told the police that. I asked him the time after talking a little while, and he said it was 10 past 2. I then left them and made my way towards Rowton House. As I passed Fletcher's house I saw him nutting the shutters to, so I called out to him. He came down and let me in. I asked him to come to the coffee-stall we went to every night at Seaton Street. Instead of going there he proposed going down to the one in Trafalgar Square. On our way in Tottenham Court Road I saw a fire. I went and broke the alarm. I met Fletcher again, and we went to the coffee-stall. I met a man I knew there. He said to me, "Are you back with Rose?" I said, "No, I have not seen her for two or three days." Fletcher and I then went for a walk to the "Elephant and Castle." At about 5.45 we returned to his house. We had some tea, and he laid on the bed whilst I stayed at the window. About 8 a.m. I went to the barber's shop. On returning I found him and the two girls were up. Bernard asked Fletcher to get the breakfast, and we went out. He bought "Lloyd's Weekly." On returning I saw a paragraph headed, "Clerkenwell Tragedy." I said to Fletcher, "I don't like the look of this. It looks similar to Rosie's. I have not see her for two or three days. I shall go out and get the 'News of the World' to make sure of it." A few days before she had told Fletcher and the girls that an Italian had threatened to kill her. I went to my mother's to get a clean shirt, and learnt that the detectives had been. On returning I fell off asleep. On waking Fletcher was out. On his returning after about half an hour we went together to this restaurant in Great Chapel Street. The proprietor told me the police had been after me. I thought they were looking for me as I had not reported myself. Inspector Burnham's account of what happened on my arrest is correct.

Cross-examined. Deceased finally ceased to live with me on August 8; I took her home to her parents on that day. I left her because she had been keeping out that holiday week all night. On the Bank Holiday night I asked her where she had been, as I had not seen her since the previous Saturday, and she threw some glasses at me and accused me of taking 10s. back out of the 11s. 6d. I had given her. I asked her why she did not leave the life she was leading alone and she said she would when she thought she would; she called me a ponce. She did not on that occasion say, "I like my Italian boys best" when I asked her to come with me, although she had said it on previous occasions. I told Fletcher II about it and his account of what I said to him is substantially correct. We left her outside

the restaurant and on returning found her gone; we went to Maple Street, where I found her. That was the first quarrel we had had of any consequence; she did not go out into the streets when she was living with me, only this last week, and I got fed up. She consorted with Italians mostly and I objected, but it was only during the last ten days. I have only spoken to Goodenough twice and that was about last April; the only thing we talked about was about what I had won at cards at the restaurant. His account of the conversation we had is false. I never had a small cook's knife in my possession. He was not on bad terms with me and I cannot give any reason why he should invent that story against me. The deceased never gave me money. For the last three or four months I have been doing a bit of thieving as well as working. I pleaded guilty to being concerned in stealing a gold watch. Rose Powell stole it from a man. I do not remember seeing Mrs. Sturkell at all after August 7. It is true I met Fletcher on August 14, but his account of how I went and bought a chef's knife is false. I never bought one and I never said I would do the Italian boy in. I did not have a quarrel with deceased in the street in the week after the bank holiday week. I never saw deceased or Mrs. Sturkell in the early morning of August 17. It is true that this is the first time I have given an account of my doings on the night of August 19. On that night between 10 and 10.30 p.m. I saw deceased, while talking to these fellows, going in the direction of Charing Cross Road, but she did not see me. I was not sweating when I arrived at Fletcher's house that night. I knew the girls were there when I went in because I heard them, but I could not see them as there was no light. I have met Fletcher several times at that time of the morning and gone to have a cup of coffee with him. I have never seen this loaded stick before. I had not a cut on my finger at the time. I was wearing a cap and grey jacket. (The witness categorically denied the statements alleged by Fletcher, Bernard, and O'Connell to have been made by him.) After returning with the "News of the World" I found the paragraph headed "Clerkenwell Tragedy" had been torn out of "Lloyd's," and I asked the reason why, but received no reply; I though it rather strange, but I was sleepy at the time and did not ask again.

Re-examined. I could not sleep at my mother's because my brothers were at home and there was no accommodation for me. When I said this is the first time I have given an account of my doings I meant first time in Court.

To the Court. Until I saw the paragraph in "Lloyd's" there had not been a word said between me and Fletcher or the two women about Rosie's death.

ALBERT WALTER , coffee-stall keeper, 19, Sidmouth Street, Crescent Road. My stall is at the corner of Tolmer's Square, opposite Seaton Street. Facing the stall there is a clock, over Watts's. I had known prisoner about six weeks before the murder as an ordinary customer. At about 2 a.m, on August 2 he came and asked for two coffees; a customer at about 1.50 asked me the time. I told him it and it was

some little time after that prisoner came. At the utmost it was 2.10. Tich Pepperell and Talbot, who is in Kent now, were there at the time. Prisoner had left about 25 minutes when I saw some fire engines.

Cross-examined. As many as 20 or 30 customers ask me the time of a night. I was subpœnaed last Monday to come and give evidence; on Friday night a clerk for the defence came to the stall.

Re-examined. I knew prisoner as "Charlie Brown." My name is plain over the stall. Immediately after the murder my attention was called to it.

WILLIAM PEPPERELL , greengrocer, 10, Frederick Mews, Albany Street. My nickname is "Tich." I have known prisoner a long time—just to know him. I remember August 19 because on that day the strike was over. After packing up the stall I and the man working with me left Titchfield Street at 1 a.m. on August 20. We went to Frederick Mews, left there, and arrived at the Seaton Street coffee stall at about 1.45. We had been talking there some time—a small time—when I saw prisoner. I said, "Have you seen ten thousand soldiers pass this way? "He said, "No." I said, "Then they must have gone the other way." After I had been speaking to him I saw some fire engines go down towards Oxford Street way.

Cross-examined. I generally go to this coffee stall about twice a week. I got there on this night at my usual time. I remained there about half an hour. I saw the soldiers pass. I did not hear anybody ask the stallkeeper the time. You could not help seeing the clock if you were looking that way. The fire engines passed about half an hour after prisoner left. I have not given evidence before.

JOSEPH COSTA , manager, Horsey and Sons, confectioners, 128, Jermyn Street, W. I have from time to time given prisoner odd jobs in cleaning the floor and windows. I know nothing against him. I think it was before May that I last employed him.

FRED TATTERSHALL , 129, Stebbington Street, and REGINALD BROOK, Manager, R. and P. Culley, beer bottlers, gave evidence to character, describing prisoner as being thoroughly honest, sober, and industrious.

At the conclusion of the summing up,

Mr. Bodkin pointed out that the statement of Fletcher, to which his Lordship had referred had not been put in, although it was in Court, and that it did not quite stand on the same footing as the statements of Bernard and O'Connell.

Mr. Justice Avory said that what he had told the jury was correct, namely, that the statement had been open to the inspection of prisoner's counsel.

Verdict, Guilty.

Sentence, Death.


(Wednesday, September 13.)

View as XML