WILLIAM CAMPBELL, RICHARD HUGHES, Violent Theft > robbery, Breaking Peace > wounding, 28th June 1910.

CAMPBELL, William (21, labourer), and HUGHES, Richard (24, labourer) . Robbery with violence upon Frederick Bristow, and stealing from him one watch chain and gold seals, his goods.

Mr. W. H. Leycester prosecuted; Mr. St. John McDonald and Mr. Fox-Davies defended.

FREDERICK BRISTOW. I am over 80, and live at present at 15, Duncan Guildings, Gray's Inn Road. On May 15 I returned from Australia, and went there temporarily to my son's residence. About 30 p. m. that night I went upstairs and got as far as the first landing when I heard someone say, "Now, then, after the old man." I did not know that it alluded to me. Hearing people running up-stairs I turned to let them go by; suddenly I received a tremendous blow on the head from Campbell; the other man tore open my over-coat and snatched my chain and gold seals. I had a watch, but they tore the chain from the watch. I did not see enough of the second man to identify him. The men ran away, and I was powerless to run after them. I went to the police station to give information. I identified Campbell at the station. No one told me which man to pick out.

MABELK LAYTON , 4, Duncan Buildings, cigarette maker. About 30 to 10. 45 p. m. on May 15 I was standing at the door of No. 15. Prosecutor asked me if he was right for No. 15; I said yes, and sent him up the stairs. I saw prisoners run up the stairs after him. I heard him scream twice and saw prisoners run away. I went up stairs and saw prosecutor holding his head, and a constable named Hart who came out of his room on hearing the screams was there. I have known Campbell 12 months, and the other one longer, but to speak to only three months. I have seen them together. I saw them together in Oxford Street on May 19. I spoke to them first and said I had not given them away. Up to then I had not mentioned to the police who they were. Campbell said he had no money and would treat me another time. I was not asked to identify them.

Police-Constable HART, 369 E. I live at 10, Duncan Buildings. On May 15 I was at home on the sick list. I heard prosecutor shout "Oh" several times. I saw him coming up the stairs. Prisoners had gone. I did not see them. I afterwards saw Mabel Layton. Prosecutor said he had been struck on the head; he was reeling and could hardly stand.

Cross-examined. Prosecutor gave me no description of prisoners.

Detective sergeant WILLIAM HAYMAN, E. Mabel Layton gave me information as to names on the morning of the 16th. I then endeavoured to find prisoners. On the 24th I saw Campbell at the doorway of 31, Sidmouth Street. I went towards him, and he made a violent kick at my stomach, saying, "Take that, you bastard. "I closed with him, and was assisted by Detective Wiltshire. We tried to restrain him. He tried to close the door. He threw himself to the ground and kicked in all directions. He was taken to the station and charged with this robbery. He made no reply to the charge. I arrested Hughe on June 12 in Villiers Street. I saw him once before that since the robbery with Campbell in Leather Lane. They ran away. I told him I should arrest him for being concerned with Campbell in committing this robbery. He said, "I have seen you two or three times since the case has been on; why did not you come and pinch me before? I was out for a walk, and did not expect to see you down here, or I should not have come out. "I took him to

Gray's Inn Road Police Station. He resisted at first, but went quietly afterwards.

Detective ERNEST WILTSHIRE, E. I assisted last witness in arresting Campbell.

Cross-examined. I did not threaten to charge Mabel Layton as an accomplice. I said to her, "To defeat the ends of justice would be a very serious thing. "


WILLIAM CAMPBELL (prisoner, on oath). May 15 was Whit-Sunday. I was very queer all the evening, and was taken worse at night. I was out in the morning, and returned home at 3 p. m., lay down, woke up, washed and dressed, went out at 5 o'clock, and got home at quarter to 10. I looked at the clock when I got home. My mother, brothers, sisters, and sister-in-law were there. The latter I have not spoken to for four years. I did not see Mabel Layton on the 19th in Oxford Street. When the officers came to arrest me they hit me on the shoulder with a truncheon, and knocked me down in the passage. I asked what they were arresting me for, but they would not tell me. When I was put up for identification none of the others had caps. I had mine on. Detective Hayman said to prosecutor, "Pick out the fourth man from the end, as he has his cap on. "

Cross-examined. The inspector on duty was present at the identification. He was as close as I was to Detective Hayman. All the other men could have heard. I called the inspector's attention to what was said. He said, "It is no good making a statement here. "I asked to put on a bowler hat, but he would not allow me. At the police-court I only called my mother as a witness. Nothing was said then about my brother, sisters, or sister-in-law. I know Hughes. I am not often with him. On the Whit Sunday I was by myself from 5 to 10 p. m. Walking down Gray's Inn Road and along Oxford Street I met friends. I never met Hughes.

Mrs. BEATRICE CAMPBELL, sister-in-law of Campbell. I went to my mother-in-law's house on Whit Sunday about 9. 30 p. m. My mother-in-law, husband, and prisoner Campbell's two sisters were there. Campbell came home at a quarter to ten. I noticed the time by the clock on the mantelpiece. His mother asked him what fetched him home so early; he said he had pains in his inside, and went to bed through the folding doors into the next room. His mother took him in supper and came out again, and said he had not eaten it because he had these pains. I stayed there till 11. 30. It was impossible for him to have gone out without passing me.

RICHARD HUGHES (prisoner, on oath). I was not in company of Campbell on Whit Sunday. I was at my mother's to dinner and left there about 5 p. m. to meet my young woman, Minnie Short. We went to Sadler's Wells Theatre to see the bioscope just after six and did not leave there till past ten, when we went for a walk to her home in Margaret Street by King's Cross Road. We were outside the "Lion and Lamb "at 10. 50. She said, "I think I had better go home now, as I

have to get up early in the morning to go to work. "I went as far as her door and left her at about 11.

Cross-examined. Minnie Short works for a tailor, taking clothes to different firms. She had to go to scrub the place out on Whit Monday. She did not tell me what work she had to on the Monday. I was with her all the time from 5 to 11 p. m. At half-past ten we were somewhere up Oxford Street. We did not see Campbell. I know Mabel Layton by sight, not to speak to. I had a quarrel with her. I was selling radishes on my barrow, and I clouted a little kid for taking a radish; Mabel Layton started jawing me and I told her off. This was a week or two before Whit Sunday.

MINNIE SHORT confirmed prisoner's evidence as to the visit to Sadler's Wells Theatre, and stated that she forgot that she had not got to be at work on Whit Monday.

FREDERICK BRISTOW was recalled and denied Campbell's statement that he was told to pick out any particular man at the identification.

Verdict, both Guilty.

Campbell was further indicted for assaulting William Hayman and occasioning him actual bodily harm.

Verdict, Guilty.

Numerous convictions were proved against each prisoner. Sentences: Campbell, 20 months and six months' hard labour, to run concurrently. Hughes, 20 months' hard labour.


(Thursday, July 7.)

View as XML