8th March 1910
Reference Numbert19100308-46
VerdictsGuilty > pleaded guilty; Guilty > unknown
SentencesImprisonment > hard labour; Miscellaneous; Imprisonment

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

BARNETT, Samuel (60, dealer), and GRIZZARD, Joseph (42, merchant) ; Barnett breaking and entering the dwelling-house of George May and stealing therein two watches and other articles, his goods, and feloniously receiving the same; both stealing two rings, the goods of Charles John Reed, and feloniously receiving the same; Barnett pleaded guilty of stealing a bag from George May .

Mr. Muir, Mr. Travers Humphreys, Mr. Graham-Campbell and Mr. Roland Oliver prosecuted; Mr. C. F. Gill, K. C., and Mr. Louis Green defended Grizzard; Mr. Huntly Jenkins appeared for Barnett.

CHARLES JOHN REED , 58, Prudential Buildings, Brighton. In May, 1904, I bought an engagement ring for the lady who is now my wife at Folkard's in North Street, Brighton. Exhibit 2 is the ring. The ring being too large they made it smaller. My wife did not wear the ring very much after we were married. The ring disappeared on July 22, 1908, when my flat was broken into. I next saw it three or four weeks ago in the hands of the police.

Cross-examined. I identify the ring from its general appearance. I said, "I would not pledge my oath that it is the ring." I say it is the ring I bought.

MRS. REED, wife of last witness. My husband gave me an engagement ring. It was too large for me, and was made smaller. This is most certainly the ring. I wore it regularly after my marriage from one to three months. I then wore it from time to time till our flat was burgled. I had some photographs shown me, and I think I recognise two rings. I was shown a number of rings at the police station on February 2. I picked out two. One of them is Exhibit 2. That is certainly my engagement ring.

WILLIAM GEORGE HAY , manager, Folkard and Company, 138, North Street, Brighton. On May 21, 1904, I sold a ring to Mr. Reed. On

the 23rd it was made smaller. The price paid was £15. I had it again on August 5 to replace a small stone. Exhibit 2 is precisely similar to the ring I sold. I am sure it has been made smaller.

WILFRED COOK , 75, Queen's Road, Peckham. I have had 25 years' experience as a working jeweller. I cannot see any sign in Exhibit 2 of it having been altered. It has "18" only, which is rather unusual. The "ct" may have been cut out. Rings do not always have "ct" if they have the crown. The stones are all very faulty. I can see a faint mark as if the ring had been altered.

Cross-examined. Rings like this are exceedingly common. It is doubtful whether it ever had a hall-mark. There are flaws in all the stones. Its outside value is about £9 to a customer.

Detective-inspector ALBERT HAWKINS, P Division. On December 28 I went to Grizzard's house and arrested him in connection with the other charge. I searched him, and then found on him £4 gold, 3s. silver, a penny, eight rings set with white stones, eight rink shanks, minus stones, etc. I found Exhibit 2 in his trousers pocket. I saw him on February 10 at this court. I said I was going to re-arrest him, and he would be charged with Samuel Barnett with stealing and receiving two diamond rings, which had been stolen from Prudential Buildings, Brighton. I said one was stolen in December, 1907, and the other in July, 1908. He said, "May I look at the rings?" I said "Yes." I said the two rings had been identified by Mr. and Mrs. Reed, the owners of the flat. I also said, "The two rings were found in your possession when I arrested you on December 28. He examined the rings, and said, "All right; they are my property out of my stock, and I can prove I bought the shanks, and they are filled by my stones." He was taken to Dalston Police Station and formally charged. He made no reply to the charge.

Cross-examined. I have had the property in my possession since December 28, except the two rings, which were sent to Brighton. I searched his safe and found 11 gold shanks minus stones. He is a diamond dealer. He does not keep a shop.

On the direction of his Lordship, the jury returned a verdict of Not guilty.

Prisoner was then indicted with feloniously receiving, harbouring, comforting, and maintaining Samuel Barnett, well knowing that he had feloniously stolen a brown leather bag, that he had feloniously broken and entered the dwelling house of George May and stolen therein two watches and other articles and had feloniously received those goods, knowing them to have been stolen.

GEORGE MAY , 39d, London Road, Forest Hill. On October 31, 1908, my house was broken into and property stolen, including a brown bag. I have the bag here.

ARTHUR D. S. COLLINSON . I am now serving five years' penal servitude for house-breaking. (Barnett was called up from below.) I know Barnett and Grizzard as receivers. I saw them together once at the 'Three Nuns Hotel," Aldgate, somewhere between June, 1908, and January, 1909. I broke into 39d, London Road, and stole some jewellery and the brown bag produced. I took all the property to the

"Three Nuns Hotel" the same afternoon and gave it to Barnett. He gave me something for it. I do not remember now how much. I have been to Barnett's house, 50, Parkholme Road, Dalston, on several occasions.

Cross-examined. I remember being examined before the magistrate. I said I made statements to the police, not with the object of obtaining a remission of the sentence. I have had some experience in making statements. I also said, "I cannot tell the date when I saw prisoners together; it was one evening at the 'Three Nuns,' Aldgate; there was some women with Grizzard. When I came in Barnett left."

Sergeant HENRY HOLFORD, P Division. I remember Barnett being detained at Dalston police station on January 16, 1909. While he was there I went to 50, Parkholme Road and searched the premises. I found that brown bag under the bed and took it to the Dalston police station.

Inspector ALBERT HAWKINS, P Division. On January 16, 1909, Barnett was arrested on a charge of being concerned with Collinson in breaking into 39d, London Road, and with stealing and receiving property that was in that house. On January 18 Barnett was brought before the magistrate at Greenwich Police Court. Grizzard was present while the case was being heard. Barnett was allowed out on Grizzard's bail of £100. On January 23 the bail was estreated and paid by Grizzard. We searched for Barnett. We came across him at 1 a.m. on December 28, 1909, at Grizzard's house, 73, Parkholme Road, Dalston. I found Mr. and Mrs. Grizzard and Barnett at supper. I spoke to Barnett first. I told him I was going to arrest him. I told him the charge. He said, "I only came back to-day. I was going to give myself up." I then pointed to a bed that was prepared on the sofa. I said, "You were preparing for the night." He said, "Yes. I am sorry for these people." I then said to Mr. and Mrs. Grizzard, "I shall arrest you for being concerned in harbouring Barnett, whom you knew to be a fugitive from justice." Grizzard said to me, "How can you do that? He walked into my place on Sunday morning and I advised him to surrender to you." I said, "Then he has been here two days and you knew I was seeking his arrest?" He said, "Yes, I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday about it and he said he would not have him in the house for £1,000; but what was I to do?" He could do no business on the other side."

Cross-examined. The nearest police station is a few yards from Grizzard's house. I believe Barnett went to Belgium. There were extradition proceedings, with no result. I do not know he arrived here on Christmas Day, except from what I have been told. Barnett has only one leg. He said, "I want a rest; I suppose I shall do my time in the hospital." Being a cripple, Barnett was a man with a very marked identity. Mrs. Grizzard did not say until after he was formally charged, "He would have given himself upon on Tuesday morning. We could not turn him out because it was wet." Christmas Day was Saturday, the Monday was Boxing Day, and we found him there at 1 a.m. on Tuesday.

Verdict, Guilty.

Several previous convictions were proved against Barnett, who had served sentences of 12 and 15 months' hard labour and five years' penal servitude.

Sentences: Barnet, 18 months' hard labour; recommended for expulsion under Aliens Act. Grizzard, Five months' imprisonment, second division.

View as XML