12th January 1826
Reference Numbert18260112-174
VerdictNot Guilty

Related Material

ActionsCite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
Navigation< Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >

355. BENJAMIN SAUNDERS and JOHN BARNHAM were indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Jane Flint , at two o'clock in the night of the 19th of December , and stealing 70lbs. of beef, value 50s., and 64lbs. of pork, value 50s., her property .

JANE FLINT. I keep the Phoenix public-house, at Isleworth . on the night of the 19th of December, my larder was broken into - I was the last person up; I did not go to bed till about twelve o'clock - the larden was then safe- it is a part of my house; in the morning I missed these provisions - I also lost some raspberry jam, some pickles, and other things - the servant got up in the morning about six o'clock - she came and told me; I got up directly, and, by the light of a candle, I found the persons had got in at the larder window - the inside bolts were broken, and they had got between the iron bars, broken open the kitchen door, to get out into the yard. The prisoners lived in the village.

Cross-examined by Mr. BRODRICK. Q. How wide are your bars apart? A. About seven inches and a half. I think a man of the prisoner's size could get through. I did not take Saunders before a Magistrate - it was the constable who told me to prefer a bill against him.

JOHN PINE . I am a day labourer. On the 20th of December, I met Saunders about a quarter past five o'clock in the morning, in Isleworth town - not a quarter of a mile from Mrs. Flint's house; he was alone, and had something bulky under his arm, but I do not know what; I went on to the end of Mr. Ashby's wharf, and saw Barnham, who had nothing. I then went down the wharf, and found two legs of pork, and two chucks in Mr. Ashby's waggon, which stood in my wharf - I do not know how they came there; Saunders came to me about five o'clock, and asked if I wanted to buy a piece or two of meat; I said I had no money; he then went out of my stable; I afterwards saw him and Barnham pass the stable with some meat in their hands.

JOHN FINALL COOK . I am chief constable of Isleworth. I heard of the robbery and went to Pine, to take his evidence, which I laid before the Magistrates, and got a warrant to apprehend Barnham - Saunders had been apprehended for an assault. I do not know what became of the meat - I did not get the information from Pine till three or four days afterwards.


View as XML