THOMAS HYSLOPE, JAMES DINHAM, Violent Theft > highway robbery, 22nd October 1877.

807. THOMAS HYSLOPE (19) and JAMES DINHAM (19) , Highway robbery on William Henry Hodgson, and stealing 17l. and a piece of paper his property.

MESSRS. STRAIGHT and MEAD conducted the Prosecution; MR. WARNER SLEIGH appeared for Hyslope and MR. CHARLES MATHEWS for Dinham.

WILLIAM HENRY HODGSON . I am assistant-solicitor to the Treasury and live at 10, Granville Park, Lewisham—on 28th May last I had been, visiting some friends at Woolwich—at 9.30 in the evening I started to return home in a hired fly, accompanied by two ladies—I don't know the driver's name—we drove along the Dartford Road until we came on to Blackheath—when we got near the Ranger's house we turned to the left across the top of the heath—there is a long, empty gravel pit along the side of the road there for about 150 yards, and when the carriage was about the middle of the gravel pit, on the road side, it suddenly stopped—I was on the point of looking out to see what the cause of the stoppage was when my attention was drawn to the off-side window, which was closed, and I there saw a man standing at the window—it was then about ten minutes to ten; the moon had not risen—the man had a mask on the upper part of his face and a pistol in his hand, which he pointed into the carriage, and I heard him say "Your money, or I'll fire"—he repeated this once or twice, perhaps three times—I thought it was some drunken man, and I said "Go away," and I called out at the same time to the driver "Drive on"—he made no reply, the carriage did not move, so I again said "Drive on "more loudly—he said "I can't"—at that moment, to my surprise, at the window where I was sitting, which was partially open, another man appeared—he had a piece of crape across the lower. part of his face, and a pistol in his hand, which he pointed into the carriage, and said "Your money, or I'll fire instantly"—he repeated this two or three times as I hesitated to do anything—I then put my hand in my pocket and took out some loose silver, I believe 3s., which I handed to him—he took it in his left hand, still holding the pistol into the carriage towards me—he then said "This won't do for me, you have got more than that, you have got a purse; I'll have your purse, be quick"—I attempted to get my head out of the way of the pistol, which he continued

to point at me, and in doing so I leant back into the corner of the carriage—he then pulled the door open with his left hand and presented the pistol at my head and said "Your purse instantly, or I'll fire"—this he repeated, and said "Ill blow your brains out if you don't give it me immediately"—under the circumstances I then took my purse out of my pocket and handed it to the man—he took it in his left hand, as he had done the silver, and I saw him weigh it apparently for a moment in his hand—he then said "There are more of you," looking towards the ladies—I said "You have got all I have"—he then shut the door to and said "Go on"—at the time he pulled the door open I saw the other man standing about a yard behind him on the side of the road, which is about a foot higher than the roadway—he held in his hand a pistol, about a yard from me—in a very short time the carriage was driven on—I did not see the driver or hear him—I could not see what became of the men—I was driven to my house; I got the ladies out and immediately drove on to the police station and gave information—one of the men, the first I saw, had on a light overcoat, I can't say anything more than that—the other had a dark coat, and both had low-crowned hats—I did not notice the pistols sufficiently to say whether they were revolvers or not, but I distinctly saw the gleam of the barrel of the one that was pointed at me in the carriage, and I should gather from that that it only had one barrel—I have seen the revolver produced—it might have been one of those I saw—my purse contained two 5l. notes and seven sovereigns, two blank cheques and some postage stamps—I had drawn a cheque for 15l. at my bankers, Messrs. Fuller, of Lombard Street, that morning, and I went the next moraine and got the numbers of the notes (notes produced)—I don't know that I can identify them—these are the numbers the bankers gave me—I went direct to the Bank of England and stopped the notes—I saw the faces of the men, but they were disguised, I could not tell their features at all—I should say both were slim men—I think the height of one would be about the height of the tallest of the prisoners (Dinham)—it so struck me, but I could not form a very good judgment of their height, because I was sitting in the carriage and just saw them over the window.

By THE COURT. I heard both of them speak; one I heard speak repeatedly—I have not had an opportunity of hearing either of the prisoners speak since they have been taken.

WILLIAM ROGERS . I am in the employment of Mr. Smith, a fly proprietor, of Woolwich Common—on 28th May I was engaged by Mr. Hodgson to drive him home—when I got on to Blackheath, near the Ranger's house, I was stopped—one man from one side of the road and one on the other got hold of the horse and pulled him down all of a sudden and knocked the trappings off—they got hold of the reins and pulled him down on his haunches, and before he could get up they unbuckled the reins—I said "What the devil are you trying to do?"—they said "If you don't sit still and hold your noise we will blow your brains out"—each of them had a pistol, which they presented on each side of my head—that was all they said—they then went to the carriage window and said "Either life or money"—I am sure the word "life" was used—the gentleman gave them some silver—I saw that—I was on the box—they said "This won't do, we want either life or money," and the gentleman gave them his purse, and they went away as soon as they got the purse and never looked in it—they went towards Greenwich, the Banger's

way—I then got down, put the reins on, and drove on to Granville Park—it was a one-horse fly—this occurred about a mile and a half from Greenwich Hospital.

By THE COURT. I did not attempt to get down—I thought I had better bide where I was.

HENRY STOCKEE . I am chief cashier at Messrs. Fuller and Co.'s, bankers, Lombard Street—Mr. Hodgson keeps an account there—on 28th May I cashed a cheque of his for 15l. with two 5l. Bank of England notes, Nos. 90749 and 90750, dated 22nd Dec, 1876—these are the two notes.

CHARLES JOHN WILLIAMS . I am a clerk in the Bank-note Department of the Bank of England—I produce two 5l. notes—the one numbered 19749 was paid in on the 19th of June last at the London and South Western Bank, and the one numbered 9750 on the 7th of June at the Portsmouth Branch of the Bank of England.

MRS. PALLANT. I am the wife of Charles Pallant, a watchmaker and jeweller, of 267, Mile End Road—between seven and eight one summer evening a man came and bought a wedding-ring and keeper—I cannot give the date—it came to 1l. 19s. 6d.—he offered a 5l. note in payment—I could not give him change, and he said he would call in the morning—I said if I had any one to send I would send to get it changed—he then offered to go if I would tell him where to go—I told him to go to the King Harry public-house, which is near my shop and opposite Mr. Yates'—he then went away—he came back again in about five minutes, and asked me to sign my name—I signed the note numbered 90749, and the man signed "J. Compton, Russell Street," in my presence—he then went away and did not return—on the 10th September I was fetched to Portsmouth and shown into a room where there were about a dozen men, and I pointed out Hyslope as the man who tendered the 5l. note—I have do doubt he is the man.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I do not remember when I was first spoken to about this, but it was a week or two before I went to. Portsmouth when Mr. Shaw spoke to me—I said at the police court it was six or seven weeks before I gave my evidence—I have reason to believe I made a mistake—I cannot now be sure of the date—I told Mr. Shaw I had made a mistake—Shaw "was not with me in the room when I identiHyslope—I did not see him there—Shaw travelled in the same carriage from London with me—we had very little conversation, none about this case—he had told me what he was taking me to Portsmouth for—he said he suspected some man, but he did not tell me what kind of man he was—I know Chief-Constable Jarvis and Mr. Bidgood—I did not observe them in the room—I stood in the centre of the room, no one stood near me—the man I picked out was not quite in the centre—I looked round first—I cannot swear to Mr. Hyslope, sen., being in the room—I could not identify him—I did not see any one taking notes, I was paying attention to the men—Mr. Shaw went to the police station with me—I was shown into the room where the prisoners were at once—I pointed out Hyslope with my umbrella—I do not remember Shaw saying anything to me there—he might have said "You must not say anything here," but I do not recollect it—to the best of my belief he was outside—I never used the words "It strikes me forcibly that he is the one"—I was sure Hyslope was the man—I cannot swear I never used those words.

HENRY RICHARD YATES, JUN . I am the son of Richard Yates, who keeps the King Harry public-house in the Mile End Road—one summer evening a man came and asked me to change a 5l. note—I took the note to my lather, who sent it back to Mrs. Pallant—I did not notice any name on it.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I went to Portsmouth with Inspector Shaw and Mrs. Pallant to identify—Mr. Shaw stood at the door of the room—I looked at the twelve men in the room—I shook my head, and Mr. Shaw said "Have another look"—he was then in the passage—I did not see Mrs. Pallant identify Hyslope—I would not swear that Mr. Shaw did not go into the room.

Re-examined. Beyond the suggestion "Have another look," nothing was said by Mr. Shaw to make me identify any particular person.

HENRY RICHARD YATES, SEN . I keep the King Harry public-house, Mile End Road—I changed this bank-note, but I cannot recollect the date—I paid the note away to my brother.

WILLIAM HOLLOWAY . I am a baker and beerhouse keeper, of 23, York Street, Southsea—prior to Sunday, the 20th May last, Dinham had been in my employ as an assistant in the bakehouse, for about eighteen months at 6s. a—week—he lived and slept at home, but I occasionally fed him—I believe his parents live in Portsmouth—he did not come to work on the Monday—he had given me no notice of his going away—on the Tuesday his sister came to make inquiries—I noticed something written up in the bakehouse on the Tuesday—I do not know the writing—Sunday was the last day Dinham worked for me—no wages were due, as his parents took his wages in bread—I never knew him to have a sum like 5l. in his possession—on Sunday, the 17th of June, about 6 o'clock, a stranger came to my shop—Hyslope is a good imitation of him, I believe he is the matt—he asked for change for a 5l. note—I refused at first, but he said "Mr. Bartlett. the grocer, is my uncle," and I gave him change—he also said he had come from London, and was going back in the evening, and is rather awkward to get change for a 5l. note at a railway-station"—I then gave him 4l. in gold and 1l. of silver—I did not notice the note or see any name written on it—I paid the note to Mr. Browning, my brewer and landlord—on the 18th June I heard that Dinham had returned, and on the following Thursday I saw him at his father's house—I said "How are you getting on, John?"—he said "All right; how are you getting on?"—I said "All right, thank you, John"—he did not tell me any more till he returned to my employ, a fortnight after, when he had been away about six weeks; then he told me he had been to London and to Greenwich with Hyslope—on the 31st of July my cash box was stolen and some watches—the loss was about 32l.—I was afterwards shown that cash box by the superintendent of the Portsmouth police, and identified it.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. Mr. Shaw took me to see where Hyslope worked—he did not say anything—I know Hyslope's father—he called upon me before I went to see Hyslope—I did not say I did not know Hyslope, or that Mr. Shaw was going to take me to the man who passed the note—I do not remember doing so—I cannot swear I did not.

Re-examined. MR. HYSLOPE said "Do you know my son?"—I said "I don't know that I do"—that was all that was said—he then went

away—it might have been a week after Mr. Hyslope's visit that I went with Mr. Shaw—prior to Mr. Hyslope coming, Mr. Shaw had been and inquired about the note.

JOHN WILLIAM BROWNING . I am a brewer of Portsmouth—the last witness is my teuant—I called fur his monthly account on the 19th June, and he paid me 13l. 8s., amongst which was the 5l. note with "Compton "endorsed on it and numbered 90750—I spoke to Mr. Holloway about it—I paid it into the North "Wilts Bank on the 21st June.

JOHN CLEGG . I am a clerk in the Portsmouth branch of the North Wilts Bank—Mr. Browning keeps an account there—the 5l. note numbered 90750 was paid in on the 21st of June last, and was passed to the Portsmouth branch of the Bank of England.

WILLIAM WEIGHT . I am a clerk in the Portsmouth branch of the Bank of England—on the 25th June the note 90750 was paid in to the North Wilts Bank and passed on to the Bank of England the following day.

JAMES BARTLETT . I am a grocer of York Street, Southsea—I did not send any one on the 17th June to Mr. Holloway to get change for a 5l. note—the prisoner Hyslope is not my nephew—I know Dinham.

THOMAS BARTLETT . I live at 42, Turner Street, Commercial Road, London, and am the nephew of the last witness—I was not at Portsmouth on the 17th June—I have never been to Mr. Holloway's to get change for a 5l. note.

MARY WESLEY . I am a single woman, residing at 6, Romsey Terrace, King William Street, Greenwich—I have a servant named Sarah Dobson—on the 24th May the prisoners and a young woman named Harrington came to hire some apartments I had to let—I thought Harrington was married to Hyslope, they slept together—the rooms were engaged for a week or a fortnight—they stopped 3 weeks and 3 days—on the Saturday prior to their leaving they dined early, and Dinham and Hyslope went away and were absent on the Sunday—Hyslope came back on the Monday morning about 5—I never saw Dinham again—I let Hyslope in and went to Led again—he was alone—he and the young woman breakfasted between 8 and 9 and left about 9.30—I was paid by them down to the following Thursday—Hyslope gave no reason for leaving—they used to go out—I retired to bed about 11—I cannot say if they were out after 11—I always considered they were in—they had the drawing-room floor and the parlour bedroom, two bedrooms and a sitting-room—I slept downstairs—I had got the topfloor let at the time.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I did not say at the police-court about the young men going away on the Saturday and Hyslope coming back alone—I think I was not asked—I do not recollect who brought it to my mind—I had several conversations with Mr. Shaw—I said at the police-court that they came home about 11, that was the fact—I might have said—they stayed about a month, they paid me for a month—I do not think Mr. Shaw called on me more than twice—we talked about this case—I do not think it was he who asked me whether the prisoners had left town for any time—I do not recollect it—he told me Hyslope lived at Portsmouth; that was after I gave my evidence I think, but I cannot recollect—I do not recollect Mr. Shaw, my servant, and myself having a conversation in the parlour—Mr. Shaw saw my servant without my presence; he was not a long time talking to her—the prisoners' absence from London I think

was mentioned to my servant, and of course she would name it to me—neither my servant nor I were asked about it at the police-court.

Re-examined. MR. WONTNER'S clerk saw me before giving evidence to-day—he took down my statement in writing—I think Mr. Shaw came prior to my giving my evidence at the police-court—he has not seen me since.

SARAH DOBSON . I was servant to Miss "Wesley—the prisoners and a young woman came on the 24th May, and occupied one bedroom and a sitting-room on the drawing-room floor, and one bedroom on the dining-room floor—Hyslope and the young woman occupied the drawing-room—I sat with Mrs. Hyslope in the evening; Miss Wesley went to bed before eleven—the prisoners remained about three weeks—they went out in the evening occasionally and came home at one o'clock and after—I could not say how often that happened; I used to sit up and let them in—Hyslope wore a pepper-and-salt pair of trousers and a black coat and around, hard hat with a low crown—Dinham had a black pair of trousers and a light coat and a hat like the one worn by Hyslope—Mrs. Hyslope remained at home when they stayed out late, and I used to keep her company—on the Saturday before the Monday that they left Mrs. Hyslope said she wanted dinner early that day because they had to go to Portsmouth to see Hyslope's uncle, and would catch the quarter to three train—they had dinner about half-past two—on the Sunday night I slept with Mrs. Hyslope, and on Monday morning, about five, Hyslope returned, and I went to my own bedroom—Dinham did not come back—they left about nine o'clock—Hyslope said his uncle was very ill.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I did not state this at the police-court—I have seen Inspector Shaw at my mistress's house once—I went once to the police-court at Greenwich—Mr. Shaw's visit was before that; he has not been since—he saw my missus as well as myself—that was after the men were in custody—I let Mr. Shaw in and called the missus—he saw us together in the drawing-room—I did not say anything at the police-court about the journey on the Sunday—I was not asked.

HENRY BUDD . I live at Portsmouth—I recollect being at the Greenwich police-court—about two months before that I was by the canal and found a cash-box, and a revolver with six chambers—four were loaded—the cash-box was broken open; this (produced) is it, and this is the revolver—I gave them to the police the same day.

Cross-examined by MR. MATHEWS. I don't know how long ago it was that I found them, whether it was two months or seven weeks—I don't know what month it was, I did not take any notice.

JAMES JARVIS . I am chief-constable of the Portsmouth police—on 1st July I received a communication from Scotland Yard, in consequence of which I made some investigations about a bank-note, No. 90750, both at the Portsmouth branch of the Bank of England and at the Hants and North "Wilts Bank—on 31st August, in consequence of information about a robbery at Mr. Holloway's, I had Dinham sent for; I had on 26th received the cash-box and revolver from Constable Carter—I showed them to Dinham, and said "This is your master's cash-box that has been found in a field broken open, with this revolver alongside of it." He said he new nothing of it—I told him I would send an officer with him to search his box—I asked him to produce what he had in his pockets, and he produced several books and pamphlets, one called "Claude Duval, the

Dashing Highwayman," and the others "The Boys' Standard" and "Young Briton"—they are weekly periodicals for boys—I then sent him away with Inspector Bidgood—in a short time they returned, and Bid-good handed me a second revolver and a number of cartridges, which he said he had found in the prisoner's box—I then asked Dinham what account he could give of the possession of this revolver—he said he bought it in the Strand for 3l. 10s. when he was in London; the name of Newnham is on it; there is a gunsmith of that name at Landport—I tried the cartridges to the revolver and they would not fit—I then tried them to the first revolver, and they fitted exactly—I then said to him "Where did you get the cartridges?"—he said "I bought them at a shop near the Tower"—he said he bought another pistol in London for 30s. from a man in the street whom he did not know, and sold it again for a sovereign to a man in the street he did not know—I asked when he went to London, and who with—he said "I and young Hyslope left Portsmouth on Whit. Monday, the 21st May—we went to London and stayed two nights at an eating-house in a street leading down to the Houses of Parliament; "that two days after they arrived Hyslope was married to a young woman from Portsmouth—I don't know that he said she went with them from Portsmouth—they then took lodgings in King William Street, Greenwich—he said they were away from Portsmouth about four weeks—I then said the day or the day following they arrived in Portsmouth a 5l. Bank of England note, which had been stolen with other money from the person of Mr. Hodgson, on Blackheath, on 28th May, had been passed at the shop where he was employed—he said "I know nothing about it"—I did not detain him at that time, but I communicated the information I had obtained to the metropolitan police the same day, and on 4th September Inspector Shaw came down to Portsmouth—Dinham was again sent for to the station, and Shaw saw him in my presence—on 10th September Shaw came again, accompanied by Mrs. Pallant and young Tates—I went with Shaw to Hyslope's place in Lake Road, Landport—Shaw said to him "I have seen your handwriting in the register, the signature you made when you were married, and an endorsement on a Bank of England note which has been stolen from Mr. Hodgson on Black-heath on 28th May, and in my opinion they are identical." Hyslope replied, "I did not have a note in my possession, and I shall be very glad to have it cleared up, as the boys in the street point me out as one of the highwaymen." He was told he would have to go and put on the clothes he wore when in London—he did so and he was then taken to landport station—he remarked before going that the clothing he had on then was exactly the same as he had in London,-even to the necktie—Mrs. Pallant and Tates were left at the hotel near the station—I told the inspector to get six or seven men as like the prisoner as possible in dress and height, and when they were ready in the reserve room one of the constables fetched Mrs. Pallant and Yates—Mrs. Pallant was shown into the reserve room, and immediately she got in she put up her umbrella and pointed to Hyslope—no suggestions had been made to her to pick him out—I then went into my office with Shaw; I did not see Yates go in, I saw him afterwards; he did not identify any one—the prisoners were then charged with this offence—they made no reply—I had previonsly been to the shop where Hyslope was employed, and there received this leaf of a book—I showed it to Hyslope—he said "Where did you

get that?" I said "From Miss Fitzpatrick, where you are employed." He said "It is a leaf out of my book that I keep showing the delivers of the bread. I enter the names first, and afterwards the quantity, as I deliver the bread."

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. After Mrs. Pallant went in Shaw went with mo to my private office—I don't think he went out again until Mrs. Pallant came in—Yates went in while we were in my office—Shaw and I were standing together in the passage when Mrs. Pallant went in—I should think she could see Shaw—she had her back to him when she got into the room—the men were facing her, in a line in the middle of the room—she made two steps towards them and immediately pointed—I did not hear her say anything, I did not remain long enough, I went into my office—I will swear I did not see Yates go in—I did not see him shake his head in a negative manner, nor did I hear Shaw say "Have another look"—Hyslope's father was there, I think he stood next to his son, he was not placed there, I allowed him to go in with his son, it was his own wishSergeant Bidgood was in the room or the passae—Mrs. Pallant went in a second time.

Cross-examined by MR. MATHEWS. I did not mention before the Magistrate that Dinham said he bought the second pistol from a man in the street for 80s.—I did not caution the prisoners, when this conversation took place, they were not prisoners then—Dinham was the only one I had conversation with.

Re-examined. Mrs. Pallant went back to the room probably a minute after she came out—I said to her "Have you identified the person that passed the note to you?"—she said "I feel certain that that is the man, but I should like to have another look at his eyes "and I said "You can go back and see them again"—she did so, and then said "I am certain that is the man."

CHARLES BIDGOOD (Inspector of the Detective Department, Portsmouth On 31st August I accompanied Dinham to his father's residence—I went upstairs, and in the bedroom found this little box with some cartridges in it, also this revolver—I asked him how he accounted for the possession of the revolver—he said "I bought it in London"—I said "What did you give for it?"—he said "3l. 10s."—I took one of the cartridges and put it to thw-point of the revolver, at the same time saying "These cartridges are too large"—he replied "That is not the way to load it, let me have it, I will show you"—I declined—I put them the other way and found they were too large—I said "I shall take possession of them, and take them to the station," which I did, and he also—I heard him say there that he had bought a second revolver for 30s. of a man in the street, and that he had sold it for 1l. to a man in the street, whom he did not know—he said that he had 5l. when he went away—I said "It took the whole of your money"—I was at the station on 10th September when the identification by Mrs. Pallant took place, I was standing in the lobby at the time.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I saw Mrs. Pallant go in—Mr. Hyslope was in the room, one of the inspectors, and a constable or two—Shaw was in the lobby, standing alongside Mr. Jarvis—Mrs. Pallant went in, looked round the men, and then pointed her umbrella direct to Hyslope—she did not say anything that I heard, she left the room and went into the superintendent's office—I then went into the detective's office and remained—she remained in the superintendent's office some time, and when I went

out of the station I met her coming from the reserve room again, she had apparently been in a second time; that was about two minutes after she first went into the superintendent's office—I was not examined before the Magistrate.

JOHN SHAW (Police Inspector). I instituted some inquiries at Portsmouth on 4th September—about nine or ten that night I saw Dinham at the police-station—I told him I was an officer, and he was suspected of being concerned in a highway robbery with pistols on Blackheath, on 28th May—he replied that he knew nothing at all about it—Mr. Jams prothe revolver, and I said to Dinham that it seemed strange for him to be in possession of such things as those—he said he bought it in the Strand in London, and gave 3l. 10s. for it—he said he had never seen the other revolver—he said that Hyslope himself and Hyalope's young woman left Portsmouth on Monday, the Bank Holiday, which was 21st May; that they went to London, and stayed for a night or two at Knight's coffee-house, near the Houses of Parliament; that they then went to King William Street, Greenwich, where they stayed about four weeks—after that conversation I allowed him to go—next day, the 5th, I went to a shop kept by a man named Fitzpatrick; it is a general shop, a baker's, and they sell beer as well—I found Hyslope there—I told him I was an officer, and that I heard he was suspected of being concerned with Dinham in stopping a carriage on Blackheath, on 28th May, where a gentle had been robbed of a purse containing two 5l. notes and sevenman sovereigns—he said he knew nothing at all about it—on 10th September Iwent again to Portsmouth and saw Hyslope—I told him that since I had seen him last I had seen the writing on the two notes, and the signature to the marriage register; that I thought the writing very much alike, and I should be glad of some further information, as there was suspicion against him—he said he knew nothing of the notes, he had no notes during the time he was in London—I told him that J. Compton, Leslie Street, was written on one of the notes, and J. Compton on the other; that one had been passed in the Mile-end Road to a Mrs. Pallant, and the other to a person named Holloway, somewhere in Portsmouth, but I did not know exactly where—he said he should be very glad if it could be cleared up, because he was pointed at by boys in the street as a person suspected of highway robbery—I said it would be materially in his favour if he could give me a satisfactory account of where he was on the night of 28th May, provided he had not committed the offence—he said he thought he was at the Alhambra, that he went there, I think he said three times—I ultimately took him to the station, and Mrs. Pallant was brought in—Dinham was brought in afterwards—they were put with some other persons in a room—prior to Mrs. Pallant identifying Hyslope I had not communicated to her anything about his appearance, dress, or anything to lead her to identify him.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I have only known the man Holloway since this case—I took him to the shop where Hyslope was at work standing outside the door—I had arranged with Hyslope to bring him—I did not tell Holloway that I would show him the man who had passed the 5l. note; if he says so it is false—I went three times to Mrs. Pallant's—I have seen Miss Westley once at her house, after the prisoners were in custody; I was there about three minutes, in the passage, I think; she took me into a room, the back parlour; I did not go upstairs to the drawing-room

—when Mrs. Pallant went into the room to identify Hyslope I was in the passage—she walked in, looked round, pointed with her umbrella, and came out—I did not hear her say anything—I believe Jarvis was in the passage by my side—we went with Mrs. Pallant into the inspector's room for a minute or two—she said he was the man, but she wanted to see him again, because there was something peculiar about his eyes—Jarvis sent her back again—I saw Yates go into the room; I did not see him shake his head in a negative kind of way—I may have told him to another look, I can't say—I did not caution Hyslope—I just put the questions to see if he could explain the matter—he told me that when he went to London he had 8l. or 9l. that he had saved up—I think he said 19l. or 29l., but he had no 5l. note.

ALEXANDER FRASER . I am verger of the parish church of St. John's, Waterloo Road—on 22nd May I was present at a marriage between the prisoner Hyslope and Ellen Sarah Budd—I saw Hyslope sign the register—I produce it—I signed after him as a witness.

CHARLES CHABOT . I am an expert in handwriting, of Red Lion Square—I have for nearly twenty-five years given my attention to the study of handwriting—my attention has been called to certain documents in this case, the page of a book, the signature to the register, and the name " J. Compton" on the two bank notes—in my opinion they are all written by the same person; if necessary I can point out the similarities I rely upon.

Cross-examined by MR. SLEIGH. I was first asked to give evidence on Thursday last—I then saw and compared the documents in Mr. Wontner's office—I did not see any other writing—I think I knew it had reference to this case—I have been many times a witness—on one or two occasions I believe the jury have given a verdict against my evidence; I believe you allude to the case of "Davis v. Davis," but in that case I did not give a speculative opinion; I merely said I could not identify the testator's handwriting—I gave evidence in Fullager's case, and he was acquitted—in this case I go by the general character of the writing, as well as by the special peculiarities.

MR. HOLLOWAY (re-examined). This is my cash box.

MARY WESLEY (re-examined). The prisoners paid me 30s. a week for the month they were with me—they took their meals at home—they lived as ordinary lodgers would live—I suppose their board would amount to about 30s. a week; altogether they paid about 3l. a week—Mrs. Hyslope paid me.

GUILTY Seven Years' Penal Servitude each.

View as XML